South Ionian Charter out of Lefkas

fishtail

Visit site
Ionian

Looking at the comments above i am intrigued that so many of the forumites seem to get on friendly terms with the locals Name dropping is quite a sport around here "George"" Bevis" etc are used as if you are all great buddys . Perhaps you feel that it kind of elevates your status on the forum ?
I have sailed in this area for many years and know it as well.if not better than most .
With few exceptions," George",et al are in it for one thing only.... and your claimed friendship means squat to them.

My coments are not aimed at anyone forumite in particular and are not intended to cause offence as I know what a touchy lot you are!!

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
Looking at the comments above i am intrigued that so many of the forumites seem to get on friendly terms with the locals Name dropping is quite a sport around here "George"" Bevis" etc are used as if you are all great buddys . Perhaps you feel that it kind of elevates your status on the forum ?
I have sailed in this area for many years and know it as well.if not better than most .
With few exceptions," George",et al are in it for one thing only.... and your claimed friendship means squat to them.

My coments are not aimed at anyone forumite in particular and are not intended to cause offence as I know what a touchy lot you are!!

Not being touchy, but how would you refer to the people concerned? Maybe ''the bloke on the quayside'' or ''the taverna owner''? Personally I find using names when they are known is a useful way of identifying people. In the same way they can identify us. It's really useful when phoning a taverna owner to reserve a mooring spot to be able to say ''This is .....etc'.
Doesn't mean we don't know they want us to spend money, that's the point of going there.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site

We are all too aware of the priorities of your average Greek.

As to "Elevation of Status on the Forum"? -

Go take a cold shower sonny!!!!!! Also, learn to spell and to punctuate a sentence in english properly before attempting posting#2

Chas

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
We are all too aware of the priorities of your average Greek.

As to "Elevation of Status on the Forum"? -

Go take a cold shower sonny!!!!!! Also, learn to spell and to punctuate a sentence in english properly before attempting posting#2

Chas

Multiple exclamation marks are far from proper punctuation, English is usually capitalised and Fishtail may not be a native English speaker! Take a chill pill Charles your raw nerve is exposed.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I can't speak for others but anyone who has visited Kalamos knows who George is. His first words are to welcome you and introduce himself. Of course he is after your custom, but he remains a friendly and pleasant chap who is not the slightest bit pushy.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
Just spent a couple of weeks in the same part of the Ionian - chartering out of Lefkas Marina. Spent the whole two weeks using the anchor though - the only place we visited that had lazy lines was Spartakhori on Meganisi. This is a lovely bay but ignore the shoreside tavernas (the worst we came across by a long way) and take the 10minute walk upto the charming village where you will be rewarded with a hillside bar that has one of the best views in the Ionian and a couple of truly local tavernas. Other places we really enjoyed were Port Leone, Kioni, Frikes, Fiskardho (v busy here but worth it if you get there early in the day) and for your last night you could try stopping in Ormos Vlikho - a large sheltered achorage which is about 9 miles south of Lefkas Marina - we ate in the Seaside Taverna (on the East side of the bay) and it was terrific.

You can anchor in or around many of the small village harbours with long lines ashore and dinghy into the tavernas.

Enjoy your trip!

That side, the "knobs" side, is called Geni and is one of our favourite spots too. Much nicer than that dreadful Vlikho Brit ex-pat water gipsy colony with it's scruffy, run down "marina" opposite. It is just about the only spot to enjoy an on-board barbecue without fear of the wine bottle being tipped over, too.

Chas

pentane

Visit site
Just come back from 2 weeks in the area. First time (for 30 years) on a yacht and looks like we're converted! We found the Seaside Taverna the best by far and not that much more expensive. Well worth a visit (or 3) and Costa (oops I've name dropped) will make you feel very special. Drinks on the sofas, main meal on the upper level, dessert back on the sofas and coffee and drinks to finish down at the waters edge. Cannot be beaten for location, service & quality.
Now who wants to swap a mobo for a yacht??
Tim

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
Need to correct you there. There ar NO lazy lines available to visitors in Porto Kalamos. George usually awaits to help you in though.

There are few at Porto Spiglia either and none on the main pontoon but someimes Bavis will connect you to free electricity if he's of a mind to on the day of your visit.

Vonitsa, yes but they are very short, the chain to which they are attached being very close to the quay. Very easy to get around the prop if leaving in a cross wind from stern-to.

Vathi, Meganissi: a few on the stone pier but this is gradually being taken over by the local fishing boats since they have been displaced by the new Levkas Town Ferry. You have to use your own tackle on the town quay. As for the "Marina"? UGGHH!! The taverna with the catwalk tends to get commandered by flotillas.

Chas

Correction: My wife, quite rightly, points out that Bavis provides more tailed moorings than untailed ones at Porto Speglia.

Chas