Sound sleep at anchor

davedpc

Visit site
I have trouble getting undisturbed sleep even alongside. If it is'nt the tacking around the anchor chain the mouning of the wind or chine slapping its difficult not to know if your drifting aground or into a shipping channel. [especially if your in Newtown Creek] Many moons ago when i was a youth in the Ocean youth Club, I remember spending 2 hours in the dead of night on 'anchor watch' alone in charge of a Bristol cutter while everyone else was trying to sleep below deck. It was a dark wet and windy night anchored off Yarmouth I.O.W. and I was supposed to take regular bearings with a hand bearing compass as there was little electronic aids inthe early 60's. It was difficult to accept the boat was not drifting as the boat was constantly moving about on the wind and the tide. Taking bearing through wet glass was not enjoyable. 'those were the days.

fireball

Visit site
If it's the sounds that keep you awake - try a little music ...
If you're worried about your anchor then try and sort an anchor alarm on the GPS ...

doug748

Visit site
Earplugs, and a small radio with sleep function near your earhole (as fireball has suggested), Classic FM, certainly no phone-ins.
Snug single bunk, sadly
Either no ale, or a skinfull. No Tea, Coffee or Hot Chocolate. Hot milk is good.

fireball

Visit site
Earplugs, and a small radio with sleep function near your earhole (as fireball has suggested), Classic FM, certainly no phone-ins.
Snug single bunk, sadly
Either no ale, or a skinfull. No Tea, Coffee or Hot Chocolate. Hot milk is good.

We use little in-ear headphones lying on the pillow - loud enough so you can hear the music whilst not being over powering - music taste - something you can listen too without concentrating on helps ...

Snug single bunk? Not on my boat!!

No Ale - I find a little doesn't hurt
No Tea/Coffee - decaff is usually ok - don't want too much though! :)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I'm OK until there is a noise I can't identify, then it wakes me up. It could be total silence as I drift off quietly into deeper water - but so far it hasn't been!

If she is anchored all day thro at least one change of tide, it is unlikely she will break out. I often anchor well inshore (twin keeler) so sometimes go aground & refloat without waking - also happens tied to the quay in harbour. The brain is expecting the sounds & movements (or stillness) and just accepts that it is OK. If I do wake, I won't be alarmed unless something "isn't as it should be" so I just drift off (to sleep!) again.

There are occasions when I have had to leap out of a nice warm sleeping bag & struggle into some gear before fighting my way out into a gale to deal with summat, but it hasn't happened often enough to stress me. And the problems have so far been solvable without needing to re-anchor or sail off.

AndieMac

Visit site
The first night is always the most disturbed, but you can always catch up with a kip in the afternoon when the rest of the crew can watch the state of play for a while.

Sundowner Portofino

Visit site
2 Anchors of different types (Delta and Fortress for me) set at 45' to each other

Anchor Depth Alarm

GPS Anchor Watch

Hopefully having sat on these anchors for much of the day and ideally with a change of tide.

As much scope on the 2 anchors as I can safely get away with given the proximity of other yachts and boats.

Sleep like a baby.

duncan

Visit site
as has been outlined very well there are 2 distinct issues at play

1 physical movements and sounds that keep the brain alert when you really just want to sleep

2 mental considerations of what could be happening, might happen, etc etc

and of course a little bit of both is often the reality.

if you have slung the hook in Newton Creek then a long look outside at the soft mud banks all around before you head to bed, possibly add a quick check that your insurance policy is paid up just in case, add ear plugs and off you go.

otoh if you are in the little anchorage on the West of the Swinge leave out the long look round!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

My vote for earplugs too. They have the added bonus that you dont have to listen to your SWMBO drone on. Slight thread drift but why is it that women feel they have to discuss whatever is on their tiny little minds just as you are about to drift off?
I think was blueglass' idea but, if you are concerned about your anchor dragging, buy a cheap handheld plotter, keep it in your cabin and set it to anchor watch before you go to sleep

whisper

Visit site
My vote for earplugs too. They have the added bonus that you dont have to listen to your SWMBO drone on. Slight thread drift but why is it that women feel they have to discuss whatever is on their tiny little minds just as you are about to drift off?
I think was blueglass' idea but, if you are concerned about your anchor dragging, buy a cheap handheld plotter, keep it in your cabin and set it to anchor watch before you go to sleep

Sorry to "drift" slightly but at what "distance moved" does one set an anchor watch.
Presumably this would vary according to how much rode you have out and in what depth of water -Or Not!

smee

Visit site
Its when you wake up in a state of confusion wondering where you are and if the anchor is safe, and try desparately to search for your last transits out of the window and then realise you are safe at home in a third floor flat that you really have a problem!

AndieMac

Visit site
Its when you wake up in a state of confusion wondering where you are and if the anchor is safe, and try desparately to search for your last transits out of the window and then realise you are safe at home in a third floor flat that you really have a problem!

:D:D I like it smee.....

The darker the nights, the longer the confusion prevails.

Mariner69

Visit site
Sorry to "drift" slightly but at what "distance moved" does one set an anchor watch.
Presumably this would vary according to how much rode you have out and in what depth of water -Or Not!

I use 20 metres.

Bear in mind that it is based on the distance from the aerial so don't do what I did; set it on 5 metres and then took the hand held GPS to my sleeping bag. Up and down like the barmaids apron before it dawned on me. Increased to 20 metres and the alarms stopped.