Sorry, firearms on board.

Rappey

Visit site
How about a very pistol? It seemed to work in the film "dead calm"
I often see the uk police on TV saying if you carry a gun or knife your X times more likely to be shot/stabbed ?

Alfie168

Visit site
If you hang around the MOD long enough they will sell you a frigate for next to nothing. They come ready equipped, but crewing it could be problematic I suppose, but then again some people are suckers for a " free cruise " offer.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
A shotgun has valid uses on an extended journey and would probably be a better option for preventing boarders anyway. There are a number of non-lethal to very unpleasant (and illegal in the UK) rounds available that could be discharged into the sea on arrival in a safe area.

Something like a Franchi Spas would be preferred but like an automatic rifle, these are now illegal in the UK, though the US* has permitted them again.

* Not Calif and maybe more.

Visit site
Let's assume I sail to the USA.

I buy an expensive but imho the best rifle... the FN FAL or SLR as we called it back in the day. Purely to act as deterrent whilst doing a solo circumnavigation even giving Somalia plenty of leeway.

My end destination would preferably be my own country, the UK.

Firearm restrictions are tight in the UK though... rightly so.

What options do I have.

Sailing West to buy. Then East.

Stop and sell slr back at USA to avoid UK bureaucracy?

Then sail peacefully home across peaceful Atlantic? At moment seems best option.

Opinions requested. I expect abuse, but as I would be solo and going near Indian Ocean, I would prefer to send pirates away at 400 metres ( best I achieved on stable land).

USA slr costs £1k ... not to be sniffed at ... but a weapon I know inside and out and it is good.

Circumnaviagators' advice or anyone else gratefully received. Boat not yet purchased... will cost a lot... but circumnavigations are not cheap... but the rewards cannot be measured by yard stick.

A young girl did it with no firearm... so simply stay as far South as possible?

Tin of worms? ... You only live once and I have not done it yet...
Keep it, in the hands of someone like yourself common sense and care i firmly believe overides the woke 'thou shalt not' etc.
When approaching civilised waters have a very safe place to keep it hidden. When doing so make sure it is, and I feel sure I am speaking to the converted here, properly mothballed so ready for immediate use.

Visit site
I have a friend who was in marine security ex SBS and their weapons where all off loaded 12 miles offshore in international waters prior to the vessel going into port. Very few countries are cool about boats turning up with firearms onboard
If your not advertising it who the hell knows?

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Well if the Bish thinks it is a bad idea and he is an ex-Royal Marine and has cruised a fair bit I think, then it seems a bad idea and best to avoid dubious areas.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
The UK will issue an european firearms licence once you qualify for one in the Uk. You can have a licence before you buy the farearm
EU Firearms Licences are no longer relevant since Brexit and the rifles discussed are s.5 (prohibited in the UK) as has been pointed out. However, there is a case for them to remain on board the vessel as part of ships equipment (provided they are not taken off the vessel without a specific permit from the police) under the general exemptions contained in section 13(1)(a) of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended), but I wouldn't like to be the one to have argue this with HM Border Force when I rock up at Falmouth in a cruising yacht with an SLR hanging from the bulkhead!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I was thinking the same, as I had thoughts of sailing to Greenland, where a rifle is mandatory for polar bear protection.
Is it mandatory in Greenland? It is in Svalbard for trips away from the settlements, but when I was in Greenland (in 1987) there was no suggestion that we should carry firearms. Mind, we were going up on the icecap, where polar bears are unlikely. If at sea level, I'd certainly regard carrying a rifle as good sense even if not mandatory.

The advice is to shoot in front of the bear to start with, throwing up ice chips in an attempt to persuade it that carrying on is a bad idea. But if they charge, you shoot to kill - they are very quick, and you might not have many chances. They are very unlikely to be put off by the noise; the movement of ice makes similar loud noises, so the noise alone won't bother them.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Robin Knox Johnson carried a rifle on his first round UK trip. Shot a shark with it because he needed to go over the side to fix a leak & the shark would not b..r off. I am surprised that the blood did not attract more sharks, but RKJ did not mention if he spent the rest of the day having target practice with the sharks (ex) mates

Beneteau381

Visit site
Is it mandatory in Greenland? It is in Svalbard for trips away from the settlements, but when I was in Greenland (in 1987) there was no suggestion that we should carry firearms. Mind, we were going up on the icecap, where polar bears are unlikely. If at sea level, I'd certainly regard carrying a rifle as good sense even if not mandatory.

The advice is to shoot in front of the bear to start with, throwing up ice chips in an attempt to persuade it that carrying on is a bad idea. But if they charge, you shoot to kill - they are very quick, and you might not have many chances. They are very unlikely to be put off by the noise; the movement of ice makes similar loud noises, so the noise alone won't bother them.
[/QU
Look up Sailing Uma on Youtube a few episodes ago, they had to carry a rifle for protection aginst polar bears

cpedw

Visit site
Robin Knox Johnson carried a rifle on his first round UK trip. Shot a shark with it because he needed to go over the side to fix a leak & the shark would not b..r off. I am surprised that the blood did not attract more sharks, but RKJ did not mention if he spent the rest of the day having target practice with the sharks (ex) mates
He doesn't get much credit for his round UK trip does he? He's a resourceful sort to find dangerous sharks round here though.