someone must know

searover

Visit site
Hi all you knowlegable ones, does anyone out there, know if any other make than standard horizon radar work if connected to a standard horizon cp1000 chart plotter or is it a simple case of connecting the wires to the nmea output of the radome of any makes nmea or is it more complicated????regards Roy.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Richard10002

Visit site
I believe they are proprietary. But someone suggested that the SH 1000cp wouldnt even accept the SH radar input.

I thought it did, but the web page doesnt mention it. I did find one which acceptes radar, but it doesnt seem to have reached the UK yet.

pvb

Visit site
No radar input...

There's nothing in the specification of the CP1000C which indicates it will accept a radar input, and there's nothing in the owner's manual either. So I guess the answer is it won't show a radar image.

peterb

Visit site
NMEA is a relatively slow system. Radar pictures have a lot of information, fed at a rate far higher than NMEA can cope with. I suspect that you will need a special high-speed system, probably proprietary.

searover

Visit site
Hi thanks for your replies lads well its looking like a stand alone radar then i like the cp1000 so i dont really want to change, so maybe its better to have seperates anyway, if one goes down ive got the rest ... cheers chaps happy sailing or motoring.... Regards Roy

Oldhand

Visit site
Radomes and head/display/PPI units do not communicate using NMEA. A heading line synchronisation signal is required, a pulse length (increases with range selected) command to the radome is required and the radome output that "paints" the picture is in anlogue video. The format of the required signals is usually proprietry to each manufacturer so the the radome and head unit have to be from the same manufacturer and specifically designed for radar.