Some sod has delayed my departure.

westhinder

Visit site
Enjoy your (slightly delayed) trip..
Hope it doesn’t turn into a series of long slogs under diesel to maintain an ambitious schedule, as so many of of these seem to turn into (thought prompted yesterday by seeing convoy of boats motoring south from the Caledonian Canal with sail firmly covers on in spite of 10-12 knots beam wind).
When I did my Round Britain (4 month trip), I met a Dutch flotilla in Tobermory. They were on an organised trip round Britain in 6 weeks. All boats over 40 ft, had to be able to maintain a minimum of 6 knots, so they motored a lot. They had to do long legs and missed all the best parts. They had come straight out the Caledonian, next stop was Islay and that was all they were going to see of the Hebrides. ?
I spent 7 weeks on the West Coast of Scotland alone and left feeling I had barely scratched the surface.

Concerto

Visit site
Thank you for all your messages. Concerto has left the marina. Currently at anchor in Stangate Creek ready for an early start.

Tomorrow I am heading for Woolverstone and the following day to Lowestoft. Then on to Wells-next-the-sea before the NW wind sets in and I should leave before it turns N and head for Hull. I expect to spend 2 nights in Wells and probably 2 nights in Hull before heading for Scarborough.

I cannot predict exactly what time I will arrive in these ports, but if you send a PM (like Fred Russell) I will let you have my mobile number if you would like to come and have a chat (Westerly Owners Association members can look it up in their yearbook). I will only access the YBW forums in the late evening, so do not expect an instant reply.

I am not expecting to do this as a quick trip, but to have a look at the many places I visit. For Orkney,Fair Isle and Shetland I hope to be there for 3 to 4 weeks to explore the islands - provided the weather is conducive. Then on to the Western Isles and slowly meander between places I have been recommended to visit. From there I will enter the Clyde to go and see one of my parent's old yachts that we raced hard and is now used for cruising. Then over to Northern Ireland to visit a number of harbours before heading for the Isle on Man and then on toward Liverpool. Then back along the North Wales coast and then down to South Wales and the north Devon and Cornish coast. I hope to be able to include another visit to the Isles of Scilly before heading along the South Coast to arrive in Southampton in time for the Boat Show. I shall probably be there every day on the Westerly stand or boat or the Cruising Association stand. Then complete the trip back to Chatham at about the end of September.

Hope you all get some good sailing this year.

westhinder

Visit site
Thank you for all your messages. Concerto has left the marina. Currently at anchor in Stangate Creek ready for an early start.

Tomorrow I am heading for Woolverstone and the following day to Lowestoft. Then on to Wells-next-the-sea before the NW wind sets in and I should leave before it turns N and head for Hull. I expect to spend 2 nights in Wells and probably 2 nights in Hull before heading for Scarborough.

I cannot predict exactly what time I will arrive in these ports, but if you send a PM (like Fred Russell) I will let you have my mobile number if you would like to come and have a chat (Westerly Owners Association members can look it up in their yearbook). I will only access the YBW forums in the late evening, so do not expect an instant reply.

I am not expecting to do this as a quick trip, but to have a look at the many places I visit. For Orkney,Fair Isle and Shetland I hope to be there for 3 to 4 weeks to explore the islands - provided the weather is conducive. Then on to the Western Isles and slowly meander between places I have been recommended to visit. From there I will enter the Clyde to go and see one of my parent's old yachts that we raced hard and is now used for cruising. Then over to Northern Ireland to visit a number of harbours before heading for the Isle on Man and then on toward Liverpool. Then back along the North Wales coast and then down to South Wales and the north Devon and Cornish coast. I hope to be able to include another visit to the Isles of Scilly before heading along the South Coast to arrive in Southampton in time for the Boat Show. I shall probably be there every day on the Westerly stand or boat or the Cruising Association stand. Then complete the trip back to Chatham at about the end of September.

Hope you all get some good sailing this year.

Fair winds, enjoy the trip!

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yep wishing you Fair Winds and Following Seas on your trip

Just hope that you have got a good Tool Kit onboard along with many bits and pieces , that all will come in handy , probably ! oh plus a quality Gaffer tape or two

Daverw

Visit site
Just to give you heads up, 2nd June queens jubilee flotilla from Hull, Marina very busy and restricted river locking, may be worth avoiding until after

Murv

Visit site
That's at least the 3rd in a couple of Months, most frustrating! Glad you're finally underway, I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Concerto

Visit site
Just had a nice couple of Dutch people on board. They have already completed a Round Britian in 2019 and they loved Grimsby. They found the club friendly, enjoyed the fishing museum and even went into the port control room. Like the rest of you I know Grimsby and it can be horrible.

rib

Visit site
Just had a nice couple of Dutch people on board. They have already completed a Round Britian in 2019 and they loved Grimsby. They found the club friendly, enjoyed the fishing museum and even went into the port control room. Like the rest of you I know Grimsby and it can be horrible.
There is a great museum at wick that is well worth the visit ..

ctva

Visit site
@Concerto, are you going round the top or cutting through the Cally?

Either way, when do you anticipate getting to our neck of the woods on the west coast?