Some people are really nice!

Visit site
So easy to complain all the time (I know ,I have been know to do it!), so I thought I would post a 'good' news story...

We were moored on Bath Island in Windsor this weekend. Yes, the same one also famous for certain 'wake/wash' posts and cockpit banter about BBQ louts and picnic hooligans. But this was different.

We moored around midday. Then ,almost silently, a rather large extended family picnic group arrived and set out their pitch at the head end of the island alongside us. No noise, and we hardly noticed. Then one of their member came up and, apologising for inturpting us, asked if we had any spare tea bags! Rather shocked (that picnickers should think that boats are there to provide a free victualling service!) we did manage to find some spare and duly obliged. (just possibly thinking to ourselves: better to cough up a couple of tea bags than create a scene and then have to stand guard over the boat later!!!)....

Then the real (and rather pleasant) surprise. Half an hour later ,another interruption but this time to offer us a very nice plate of Afgan curry and rice. And then again even later, this was followed up by another visit, this time with fresh melon slices for desert! Very nice indeed - and quite made our day in fact.:D

Brayman

Visit site
That's a great story and one that should be remembered and repeated often. Is Bath Island the one between the road and railway bridges? If so we had a very pleasant three days there last month sharing our friends dog with the picnickers :) - not barbecued, you understand!

dash300

Visit site
Regular weekend occurance during the summer. Slough/Southall comes to Windsor and Reading comes to Henley. Large extended families arrive for the day to Bar-b que or picnic.
Never seen any trouble,no music boxes booming out and never seen any mess left behind.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Regular weekend occurance during the summer. Slough/Southall comes to Windsor and Reading comes to Henley. Large extended families arrive for the day to Bar-b que or picnic.
Never seen any trouble,no music boxes booming out and never seen any mess left behind.

And no hesitation in exchanging cheery waves - indeed I often think the are pleased with being acknowledged!!

Visit site
That's a great story and one that should be remembered and repeated often. Is Bath Island the one between the road and railway bridges? If so we had a very pleasant three days there last month sharing our friends dog with the picnickers :) - not barbecued, you understand!

Yep, that's the one:)

No Regrets

Visit site
Even the Rowers enjoy a few cheery waves :D

I give them plenty of Waves :p

Nice story Mr L, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to be friendly out there :)

ianc1200

Visit site
"Never seen any trouble,no music boxes booming out and never seen any mess left behind."

Marsh Meadows below Marsh Lock seems very popular for large family groups - but the rubbish left is huge & disgusting. Certain irony we clean up the dog mess & put in the bins but cannot let the dogs of the lead because of the waste left by these people.

However lovely story about the tea bags & Afghan curry!

No Regrets

Visit site
We can't let our Dogs roam, because of the food left around.

In fairness, it's not really obvious, but the Dogs can find it!

A chicken bone lodged in SWMBO'd beloved Lhasa Apso would cost £1000.....:(

dash300

Visit site
Try £2,800 for a discarded breaded hook on 2 meters of line into a Black Lab.
Full op, 3 days board and lodging plus a selection of the finest post ops drugs.:mad:

ianc1200

Visit site
I've seen the BBQ's left burning and abandoned, ornate tea pots etc, but just lots of food waste in carrier bags - all these can be seen from some distance. Just really annoying these people come from outside the area to Henley and local dog walkers have such problems.
It appears people are like this now; have a lovely time and expect somebody else to clear up the rubbish.

ADLS

Visit site
So easy to complain all the time (I know ,I have been know to do it!), so I thought I would post a 'good' news story...

Then one of their member came up and, apologising for inturpting us, asked if we had any spare tea bags! Rather shocked (that picnickers should think that boats are there to provide a free victualling service!) we did manage to find some spare and duly obliged. Then the real (and rather pleasant) surprise. Half an hour later ,another interruption but this time to offer us a very nice plate of Afgan curry and rice. And then again even later, this was followed up by another visit, this time with fresh melon slices for desert! Very nice indeed - and quite made our day in fact.:D

Wonder what would have happened if you had given then loose tea?

Reminds me of the time a NB asked to raft up along side us at Cookham, this resulted in a thick head the next morning.

oldgit

Visit site
Try £2,800 for a discarded breaded hook on 2 meters of line into a Black Lab.
Full op, 3 days board and lodging plus a selection of the finest post ops drugs.:mad:

£2,800...would not spend that on the wife let along some manky pavement fouler :)