Solo across the Atlantic

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Excellent. Well done. Nice video.

I think starting with a glum, seasick sailor was great, lifted it from usual twee stuff.

The good quality audio makes a huge impact on the way it looks and feels. Was that with a remote (and shielded) mic ?

jonnyhull

Visit site
Well done again Nick.

Great to see the video - don't know if you remember meeting in Barbados at the yard and then again at the Yacht Club for a beer.

Seeing the video finally got me to post rather than just lurking! Good luck with the trip up to New York. Hope you're having fun in Antigua. I arrived back in the UK a little over a month ago after quite an amusing crossing! Lasted 3 days here before having to go back for some Bajan warmth and cold Banks beer.

j

Habebty

Visit site
Superb, and well done!! I look forward to the next installment.
The psychology of the singlehander is something that does bother me after seeing the Donald Crowhurst film(bit extreme I know!), but I guess you can either cope with it or you can't. And it looks like you can.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Thanks again everyone - I wrote a reply to this thread, saying the 'worst bit' was being mid-ocean and realising your true insignificance. I think maybe the moderators deleted it (I wrote it in a slightly more morbid manner)... Weird.

So Johnathan, congrats on your crossing! You'll have to stop lurking and tell us how amusing exactly it was /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I was out there, I did spare a thought for Crowhurst, and, I must say, I really understood and got a sense of what he was going through.

It's a little like being afraid of heights - Sometimes it's not the height that's scary, it's the fear of oneself realising how easy it would be to jump off!

n

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
The spotlight was the night vision of the camera - It's an infrared light which the camera's CCD can pickup.

If I did it differently, I'd take a 60ft aluminum expedition ketch and sail around cape horn.

No but really, the only problem I had, was that I didn't have twin jibs running effectively. If I went again, I'd ensure I left with twin forestays and two spinnaker poles. Everyone already tells you that, I just didn't listen /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gavi

Visit site
I am very impressed and have shared the link with some serious sailors who do not use the forum. I just have a plastic river boat. She is only 2ft shorter than yours and I am scared of going to Greenwich.....

Mukes

Visit site
Thanks for posting that - very well done - the comment mid Atlantic "now closer to the satelites than land" really brings it home!

(Also Iron & Wine and Tunng can thank you for an album sale each.)