Solo across the Atlantic

Chrissie

Visit site
Hi Nick, well done, have you sent it to the Contessa association yet? I reckon they would love a written account too. Chrissie

nathanlee

Visit site
Great vid, nice to see some decent length home documentaries instead of 30 second youtube clips of a bloke in a jacket in a boat.

To offer some constructive criticism, I would suggest adding an intro with perhaps a bit of narration after the initial opening sequence, something that reflects on what you are doing and why. Cutting straight to you in a melancholic state is a bit off putting. It wouldn't be if it went straight on to happy scenes, in fact it would be a very good intro scene as it sets an air of drama, if followed by some joyfulness, but the following scenes continue the trend and I think that let's it down a bit. Surely you weren't so depressed all the way over?

Good music though, good editing, and boat load of respect for actually crossing. Please do post some more.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
I really enjoyed the bits I saw, am sure I am not the only saddo who will never do it, but loves to see more detail.

Let us know if you have more film to put together.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Bit gutted you finished it there...Was looking forward to a boozy lunch in the lone star or Sandy Lane ....

Joking aside watched the whole lot and a amazing film well done!!!

tcm

Visit site
Fair enough, tho i bet actually he might well have been a bit melancholic: i have done a bit (longest 2 weeks) solo and there is a tendency to drop your mood to suit the "worst case" situation, and there is nobody to pick you up, or to bounce off. Or maybe single people just *seem* lonely on video, more melancholic - not easy to woo hoo on your own ...until of course he reached the target! Well done again

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
NathanLee - Appreciate the criticisms. I have a few answers to your thoughts though - Basically this short film is a culmination of clips in sequential order - So I really did start out as I did in the film, as the first three days of my crossing were horrible. I do agree with you with possibly a little narration to explain what's going on. I had hoped the little text 'across the atlantic alone in 30 days' or whatever I wrote was sufficient, but I do understand what you're saying.

As for being depressed the whole time - It's hard to say. TCM had it right when he said it's 'hard to woo hoo on your own' ... I wasn't depressed the whole time, but I was melancholic and trying hard to maintain an even mood, which is difficult when you're on your own and constantly tired.

As well as constantly rolling - No, I didn't get used to it... It was the worst part of the whole crossing... Rolling... Rolling... Rolling.

I wouldn't have given that crossing up for the world though!

Next short will be about my nonstop trip from Antigua to New York... I don't have a computer capable of editing video, so getting it out depends on how much time I have at a friends!

nick.

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Next short will be about my nonstop trip from Antigua to New York

[/ QUOTE ]Really looking forward to it.
Would it be half as nice as this one, it'd still be one of the best threads I've seen around here lately.
Very, very well done.