Solar panels

alkira

Visit site
Hello

I would like to get some solar panels for power whilst cruising and at anchor for a week at a time.
I need to power two small fridges (well insulated) , a few Led lights in evening 4 hrs approx and stereo /phone chargers .

Can anyone please give me a ball park of a sensible wattage of panels that I might need.?

Thankyou

William_H

Visit site
IMHO the cost of solar panels is small compared to the advantages. Which means that you should decide where and how you mount the panel(s) and then purchase the most watts you can fit in. The final output will be variable depending on weather etc. So you may or may not need to charge from engine run for a time.
If you can fit them in/on then domestic solar panels are cheap due to large quantity sold. (ie our yacht club has 200 on the roof) (several million on roofs in our area) But they are about 2x1 metres and currently around 300 watts at 40 volts so not so easy to mount on a small boat. ol'will

RJJ

Visit site
We do pretty much what you describe with 2x160W rigid fixed panels on an arch. It's more than enough in our experience.