Solar panel Preveza

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Looking for a shop who sell household solar panel in or round Preveza , I know the Marina and a few chandlies sell the marine once , but I only interested in the 12v household type .

Thanks

santelmo

Visit site
I have recently been through all this. I found a shop in Preveza its on the main road that runs though the town the road is called Ioanninon and the shop is run by George Bekas www.bekasenergy.gr His panels are German I think and are called Solo Line I have a price list
50w 100 eruo
100w 170 euro
If you get to the roundabout near the Polis supermarket and walk north you will come the shop on the right. They also have them at Nidri Marine a bit cheaper. Ask if you want any more detai.l

crisjones

Visit site
Hi Vic,
Obviously you are not keen on paying a premium for anything sold as "marine" and as far as solar panels goes there is no need.
We have 3 Kyocera panels that are now 8yrs old and are still working fine, also we have 2 "chinese" panels bought in Marmaris 3 yrs ago for about 25% of the cost of the Kyocera's - also still working perfectly. Admittedly panel prices have come down significantly so even new Kyocera panels will be much less than I paid originally.
All 5 have been mounted on the stern arch of our catamaran fully exposed to wind, waves, weather and anything else that can be thrown at them, they all still look almost new with no corrosion to the frames, junction boxes still perfect and no degradation of the working surfaces.
So I would agree that there is absolutely no reason to pay any sort of premium for supposedly "marine" panels - they will probably be produced in exactly the same Chinese factory to the same specification but with a different label!!
If you can't find a "domestic" supplier in Preveza you would be best waiting until you get to your winter stop (Ragusa again?) and then order from Amazon or Ebay delivered to the marina - go for the cheapest you can find since I have been unable to find any performance difference between cheap and expensive panels.
Anyway sunshine hours are getting less rapidly at this time of year so waiting until you stop for winter is not too big a problem even if you have to run the engine occasionally - I know you like those white flappy things but a few litres of diesel is no big deal :)

Just seen santelmo's post - not brilliant prices since cheap panels are now down at around €1 per W or a little bit over. Your choice Vic.

Last edited:

santelmo

Visit site
I fully agree with chrisjones I have decided to wait and bring some panels from the UK next year when I drive down. They are a bit more than half the price from ebay UK.

macd

Visit site
Vic: I bought some about five years ago from a domestic panel supplier on P. Tsaldari, Preveza. This is the narrow street that runs south from the first big roundabout on the town's main drag on the way out to the bus station. Google Earth gives this lat and long: 38° 57.657'N 20° 45.058'E. The shop's clearly visible on the left on street view going N on P. Tsaldari.

Price was far less than you see in chandlers and the panels are still going strong. Whether the shop still is, is anyone's guess.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Vic,
Obviously you are not keen on paying a premium for anything sold as "marine" and as far as solar panels goes there is no need.
We have 3 Kyocera panels that are now 8yrs old and are still working fine, also we have 2 "chinese" panels bought in Marmaris 3 yrs ago for about 25% of the cost of the Kyocera's - also still working perfectly. Admittedly panel prices have come down significantly so even new Kyocera panels will be much less than I paid originally.
All 5 have been mounted on the stern arch of our catamaran fully exposed to wind, waves, weather and anything else that can be thrown at them, they all still look almost new with no corrosion to the frames, junction boxes still perfect and no degradation of the working surfaces.
So I would agree that there is absolutely no reason to pay any sort of premium for supposedly "marine" panels - they will probably be produced in exactly the same Chinese factory to the same specification but with a different label!!
If you can't find a "domestic" supplier in Preveza you would be best waiting until you get to your winter stop (Ragusa again?) and then order from Amazon or Ebay delivered to the marina - go for the cheapest you can find since I have been unable to find any performance difference between cheap and expensive panels.
Anyway sunshine hours are getting less rapidly at this time of year so waiting until you stop for winter is not too big a problem even if you have to run the engine occasionally - I know you like those white flappy things but a few litres of diesel is no big deal :)

Just seen santelmo's post - not brilliant prices since cheap panels are now down at around €1 per W or a little bit over. Your choice Vic.

Hi Chris , thanks for the info , the panels we have now are over six years old and still going strong which are just household panels , not sure why anyone want to pay thre time the price for a Marine label ,
change of plain we won't be going back to Ragusa , we taken on a new boat which we brought in Croatia Moody 42 , tough sail back in thunderstorms weather Christine on our Dufour and me on the Moody but both boats took the weather very well , not so sure about the crew :) .
So the plain is now to stay in Greece to do a refit and sell the Dufour , but has you know our plains change from day to day .
We might take your advise and order from eBay and have them sent here if we can't buy at a good price .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic: I bought some about five years ago from a domestic panel supplier on P. Tsaldari, Preveza. This is the narrow street that runs south from the first big roundabout on the town's main drag on the way out to the bus station. Google Earth gives this lat and long: 38° 57.657'N 20° 45.058'E. The shop's clearly visible on the left on street view going N on P. Tsaldari.

Price was far less than you see in chandlers and the panels are still going strong. Whether the shop still is, is anyone's guess.

Hi Mac
Yes that's the shop I was thinking of trying , but it got to be a better price then what santemo had to pay , I'm in no rush as we need to do quite some work on the boat but the battery's are not that great and I would like to keep them going for a while longer at less untill the end of the year if I can .

crisjones

Visit site
Sounds like a busy winter for you and Christine, hope you have found a good place for supplies etc.
We might bump into you again next year since we might head around the Peloponnese and up to Croatia and Venice next summer. A few beers to share your experiences would be very useful.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
we taken on a new boat which we brought in Croatia Moody 42 , tough sail back in thunderstorms weather Christine on our Dufour and me on the Moody but both boats took the weather very well , not so sure about the crew :) .
So the plain is now to stay in Greece to do a refit and sell the Dufour , but has you know our plains change from day to day .

Well done Vic! I don't envy you and Chrissie as sailing mid-sea in changeable weather is bad enough even with crew. Who did Eddie travel with and does he count as "crew"?

Did you sail directly from Trogir to Greece or hop down the coast to Cavtat and then head south .... or perhaps go via Brindisi? I'm interested as we may follow that route next summer and I'm looking for ideas.

The problem is that now you're a posh 2 boat owner you won't be able to plead poverty on the Forum any more! Haha ... I did warn you. :D

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sounds like a busy winter for you and Christine, hope you have found a good place for supplies etc.
We might bump into you again next year since we might head around the Peloponnese and up to Croatia and Venice next summer. A few beers to share your experiences would be very useful.

Yes it's going to be a busy time for us , at less I won't be bored .
See how it all goes , I not looking forward to another wet winter in Greece , but it's better then a cold and wet winter back home .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well done Vic! I don't envy you and Chrissie as sailing mid-sea in changeable weather is bad enough even with crew. Who did Eddie travel with and does he count as "crew"?

Did you sail directly from Trogir to Greece or hop down the coast to Cavtat and then head south .... or perhaps go via Brindisi? I'm interested as we may follow that route next summer and I'm looking for ideas.

The problem is that now you're a posh 2 boat owner you won't be able to plead poverty on the Forum any more! Haha ... I did warn you. :D

Richard
I am. Lot poorer now then I was a month ago Richard , I was hoping someone would start a collection for me . :) .

We crossed from split to Monopoly on the quay for free , where we waiting five days while bad weather passed , some big thunderstorm , then we head just down the coast to Brindisi where we found another free berth on the town wall ( who said that there no free berth in Italy ) and sat out two more days of Storm , from there it was one long hop to Corfu 21 hours sailing tho three more thunderstorms . What a night .
Now we having some chill time at the same time trying to more home from one boat to the other .