Software updates

pvb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
or maybe they just mean a Sandisk memory stick ..... which needs no interfacing...just plug it in...

[/ QUOTE ]You'd have trouble plugging it in to a chartplotter! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

charles_reed

Visit site
Sandisk

are a trade name for a range of storage media. They tend to be fairly pricey and are well-regarded.

I suspect the format for the Raymarine upgrade will be an SD/MMC card - the trouble is that there are now mini and micro-SD cards out there, used mainly in mobile phones.
The main types of flash memory cards now stand at about 11 so you need to get it right.

You need a universal USB card reader to download the software from the internet web-site, to your computer and then onto the memory-card.
Such as this:-
http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=44182&ft=d&st=1

Gezzer

Visit site
yes as previously said sandisk are a highly regarded (and at the upper end of the price range) manufacturer of memory products.

Raymarine recommend then because thats probably what they tested and certified the system on, we use memory products on some of our systems (critical non - marine) and we find that one manufacturers product will work where others will not, its all down to the timings and response that the device expects, and depends on the tolerance of the host device.

I have used many different types of CF card in my C80 and A65 without any issues, from what I have found they are not fussy, and these days most of the memory devices on the market are branded items from a very small OEM base anyway.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Thanks to all for the responses.

It seems that if you don't follow recommendations by the manufacturer and you have problems, you have no cause to moan.

In the converse case, you should be able to expect helpful advice.

So I guess it's ScanDisk.