So who was it being a nuisance on the Commonwealth Flotilla?

GAJ

Visit site
What a grand day out it was.

We were in the first part of the flotilla but could not see what was going on when the organisers were on the radio saying that some twerp was overtaking everyone and even trying to pass the Calmac ferry that was leading the boats. I seem to recall the organisers being very exasperated and rightly so.

It has intrigued me all week as to who would display such crass and possibly dangerous behaviour.

Anyone know who it was?

skodster

Visit site
What a grand day out it was.

We were in the first part of the flotilla but could not see what was going on when the organisers were on the radio saying that some twerp was overtaking everyone and even trying to pass the Calmac ferry that was leading the boats. I seem to recall the organisers being very exasperated and rightly so.

It has intrigued me all week as to who would display such crass and possibly dangerous behaviour.

Anyone know who it was?

Perhaps the boat wasn't part of the flotilla and the other boats were in his way! :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Perhaps it was Alex thinking he was doing a Royal Fleet review? :wink-new:

Turbinia?

1897review.jpg

awol

Visit site
It wisnae me 'cos I wisnae there. I was sailing happily elsewhere but admit to little enthusiasm for cruising at 4kts in a ditch with 249 others, a lot of whom would have consumed alcohol, never mind paying for the privilege. But then I always was an antisocial ******

cliff

Visit site
I was told that only registered boats would be allowed up the river. What authority they had to stop folk I don't know, possibly the port authority could flex their muscles?
I don't know either, perhaps muppets authority, actually none as far as I know. The flotilla was nothing more than a social gathering (glorified sailing club muster?) not a military exercise - even if a military exercise I have only ever had http://www.lovesailing.net/sailing-...gnal-flags/sailing-signal-flags-u-uniform.png hoisted by one of the grey funnel line for my edification when I crossed into their play zone.

Last edited:

cliff

Visit site
The river and any rights to be on it were privatised in 1992 and now belong to the Peel Group.
They own and operate shore side facilities but do not own any "rights of passage" on the river or the estuary. They could in Englistan but not in Scotland.

penfold

Visit site
They own and operate shore side facilities but do not own any "rights of passage" on the river or the estuary. They could in Englistan but not in Scotland.
I'm pretty sure Clydeport are the statutory authority outside of the Queen's Harbour(Gareloch and Loch Long) and as such can tell you when to jump and how high; they certainly like sticking with obsolescent rules about speed on the lower firth that were drafted by the Clyde Navigation Trust back when the Clyde was busier than Argyll Street on a saturday.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm pretty sure Clydeport are the statutory authority outside of the Queen's Harbour(Gareloch and Loch Long) and as such can tell you when to jump and how high; they certainly like sticking with obsolescent rules about speed on the lower firth that were drafted by the Clyde Navigation Trust back when the Clyde was busier than Argyll Street on a saturday.

I had a quick check in the Clydeport Leisure Navigation Guide (http://peelports.com/wp-content/upl...eisure-Navigation-Guide-4th-Edition-20121.pdf) to refresh my memory, and there is nothing to say you need permission to navigate the river to Glasgow ... although there are mandatory reporting points en route and you're not allowed to sail above Bowling.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So is it the usual local authority-type bullying with no legal framework?

I don't think there is any bullying, particularly, or at least I have never heard of any. You have to tell them where you are, but other than that I believe you can go right into the middle of Glasgow whenever you want.

It may be a bit different with the Commonwealth Games, but, like the Olympics, they have their own bizarre legal rules. They probably only allowed holders of VISA cards up the river and torpedoed anyone seen drinking the wrong ginger (I'm Glaswegian, me) or wearing the wrong trainers.

cliff

Visit site
I had a quick check in the Clydeport Leisure Navigation Guide (http://peelports.com/wp-content/upl...eisure-Navigation-Guide-4th-Edition-20121.pdf) to refresh my memory, and there is nothing to say you need permission to navigate the river to Glasgow ... although there are mandatory reporting points en route and you're not allowed to sail above Bowling.
Thank you. I really cannot understand anyone that believes every muppet with an officious sounding title or is "employed" by some company, charity, event organiser etc. has "authority" over them and even provides the starters.