So they are going to blow up the SS Napoli...

Epirb23

Visit site
Great,drag it offshore a few hundreds yards,confirm it's back is broken,which was known already by RN divers,claim on Lloyds and don't give a flying F about the rest.Nice one and btw the MCA haven't exactly covered themselves in glory on this /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Not quite blow it up.

There's a huge crack in the hull just forward of the bridge, they've been using 2 tugs to try and break the ship in two but have failed. The plan now seems to be to use explosives to complete the work that the crack has started. Hardly blowing it up.

Not quite as exciting as the bombing of the Torrey Canyon!

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not quite as exciting as the bombing of the Torrey Canyon!

[/ QUOTE ]

As I recall, the Fleet Air Arm Buccaneers failed miserably to destroy the Torrey Canyon and its contents - but it 'was a good day out', according to some of the aircrew who participated in the exercise.

There was some comment about 'barn doors' and 'handles' at the time, but that may-just-possibly-might-have-been a touch of sour grapes from the Crabs, who weren't invited.

Anyway, I don't believe we have enuff serviceable strike aircraft in the UK at present - and we certainly don't have enough serviceable weapons - to take on the job.

Maybe we should ask the French.....

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jonathankent

Visit site
Personally I don't really see why they have got to 'destroy' her and take her away... shes not exactly going to ruin the seascape. Why got to all the trouble and expense... apparently already cost £50m and could cost £10m's more.... leave her, the sea will eventually break her down.

tazzle

Visit site
Yep, first charges to cut the deck plating today.

My old civil explosives tutor, WRG Robinson, late of the National Coal Board, would have wondered what all the fuss was about. He once demonstrated the cutting of a 12" RSJ on the diagonal, with a line of grease on the web and flange and two 1oz charges of opencast gelignite with no. 5* electric dets. taped to either side of the web A slight pop, and the massive beam fell apart cut as clean as a whistle on the grease line. We used to joke he would rather use 1/2oz cartridges of OCG to open swing doors than go to the effort of pushing them.

Rather more precise than the Raff, too.