So now the somali kidnap victims are dead!

NickRobinson

Visit site
What's more dangerous?

Being kidnapped or being 'rescued' by Americans forces?

Somalis (and I'm not condoning it) kidnap for business reasons, have any people been killed except on botched rescue attempts?

Like that UK worker/vol in Afghanistan killed by a (initially denied) US grenade while advanced negotiations went on..

N

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Being kidnapped or being 'rescued' by Americans forces?

Somalis (and I'm not condoning it) kidnap for business reasons, have any people been killed except on botched rescue attempts?

Like that UK worker/vol in Afghanistan killed by a (initially denied) US grenade while advanced negotiations went on..

I am amazed at the degree of cynicism that is sweeping the web on this matter. The assumption - or at the very least the strong suspicion - that the US military killed the hostages and are now lying about it as a cover up seems near universal. Of course they've done just that before, and recently, in the case of Linda Norgrove...

bluedragon

Visit site
From what I read they were distributing bibles and on their way from India to Oman. Apparently they knew the risks, but I guess their religious beliefs drove them on regardless. So sad, whatever the motivation.

Quandary

Visit site
The facts will emerge eventually but until they do there will be plenty of time and opportunity to continue to blame the Americans. The Reuter report from another pirate ashore who claims to have got the 'facts' by phone might also be fabricated but we are with the media and all on the pirates side when they are killing Yanks, are we not? Sailing around the Middle East giving out Bibles, it is surely Allahs judgment on them and their nation.
And then we get threads where the English complain of being victims of prejudice.

fishermantwo

Visit site
Sailing Anarchy has a good thread on the subject. Basically the yacht had 19 pirates onboard, two pirates where on one of the US navy ships negotiating when an RPG was fired at a warship from the yacht. Special forces or Seals attacked the yacht. Two pirates killed and two others found dead below. The four Americans unfortunately died as well.