So I've paid the deposit, need advice on a suitable marina on the Spanish Med.

Contest1

Visit site
Plan A now going ahead, thanks to all who contributed.
Paid the 10% and quite pleased with my new , potentialy, to me 30ft cruiser. Lying Guardamer at present. Bit of a hike to civilisation and I will try to manage without a car.
I may be over cautious but having a fixed abode for the first 12 months seems sensible.
Theres a good deal of neglect and the instruments are mostly out dated. The engine could need work and the wireing look amateurish.
Any thoughts on a good port to get comfortable with her, shes one of those wobbly fin keelers, and were the hook is only for day sails to local coves.
Reasonable fees, a quiet,ish berth, shops and a chandlers near by would be good. Easy pleased as you can see.

As always any advice weecome.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Torrevieja has two Marina with some good charndles but I would be Temped to sail back to Almarimar , not sure what the summer rates are like but the winter ones are good , very good English chnandles what he not got he will get for you , good stainless steal fab , good liveaboard community , safe , and no problem with getting most things , only down side . It a long way from the nearest large town good bus ride .

blampied

Visit site
Torrevieja has two Marina with some good charndles but I would be Temped to sail back to Almarimar , not sure what the summer rates are like but the winter ones are good , very good English chnandles what he not got he will get for you , good stainless steal fab , good liveaboard community , safe , and no problem with getting most things , only down side . It a long way from the nearest large town good bus ride .
El-Masnou, 10 miles north of Barcelona, zone2 on the Barcelona underground network €2.50 to Central Barcelona (€4:10 to the zone4 airport, cheep EasyJet flights to UK) the underground/train station is alongside the marina.
Sandy beach less than 5 minuites walk, both sides of marina
Very cheep monthly rate mooring, were slightly larger than you and paying less than €11 per night. Boatyard, engineers and several chandlers, lots of restaurants. Good 24 h security.
We have been here over a month and seen no trouble of any sort other than a naked man who wondered up from the beach making obscene gestures towards cyclists on the promenade, port security dealt with him as soon as he tried to enter the port area.

ripvan1

Visit site
Fuengirola cheap flights to malaga, 40 min train ride from station which is 5 min walk from airport. Working Spanish town with ironmongers all walkable. Bit touristy around marina but competition between restaurants keeps prices down. I,ve a quote for berthing 32 footer from May this year - will dig it out. Can lift and store on hard and work on it.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
You talk about "a fixed abode . . . 12 months" in Spain. Have you done your homework about "tax residence" and "boat import" into the country? Or is the boat already imported/registered in Spain? This quote comes from /going-foreign/time-abroad

There may be additional country specific payments if you keep a vessel in a country, become a tax resident and don't notify the authorities. For instance, in Spain, if you're late reporting such a situation, you'll have to pay a one time 'pollution tax', about 12% of the vessel's value.
Forgive me if that's all old hat . . .

Meanwhile, there are comparisons of the most popular locations for long term sailor bases at the /west-med/sout-med-spain page of the same web site. May be useful . . .

Monique

Visit site
A mate tells me Burrianova Marina is all new and substantially discounted compared to others.

No first hand knowledge.

Contest1

Visit site
You talk about "a fixed abode . . . 12 months" in Spain. Have you done your homework about "tax residence" and "boat import" into the country? Or is the boat already imported/registered in Spain? This quote comes from /going-foreign/time-abroad

Forgive me if that's all old hat . . .

Meanwhile, there are comparisons of the most popular locations for long term sailor bases at the /west-med/sout-med-spain page of the same web site. May be useful . . .

Thanks Jim,
this residential tax issue came up in my earlier post re buying in the Med.
As I understand it I can have upto
6 months 2015 and 6 months 2016 before the residency becomes an issue. So with a trip home in Sept, over Christmas untill the weather picks up in Feb, hopefully I can avoid any problems till the Annual contract runs out and I,m ready to look at moving on from Spain about September.
At least thats the plan.

Contest1

Visit site
Ps The current owner lives betwee UK and Spain but is UK resident tax wise.
The boat has been in Spanish waters for a couple of years.
Could this be a problem for me as the new owner if there is an import liability?

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Ps The current owner lives betwee UK and Spain but is UK resident tax wise.
The boat has been in Spanish waters for a couple of years.
Could this be a problem for me as the new owner if there is an import liability?

If you are seen to be in Spain for more than 6 months in a year then you will have a problem but it doesn't matter how long the boat is there.

MAURICE

Visit site
Hi
We had our boat in Valencia juan carlos marina for almost two years. Good annual price with easy access to airport via train.. Burriana nova is even cheaper they are doing some great deals but it is a very quiet town and not so easy to get to and from the airport.
My 13 m boat at Valencia was approx 4400 euros for the year. At Burriana nova I think they quoted me 2400 euros with a free lift out and they would clean and antifoul for 420 euros. very good prices.
hope this helps
Maurice

GrahamM376

Visit site
One point to consider which hasn't been mentioned so far - many Spanish marinas won't let you do any work on the boat or live on it whilst out of the water so, that could influence location.

Contest1

Visit site
One point to consider which hasn't been mentioned so far - many Spanish marinas won't let you do any work on the boat or live on it whilst out of the water so, that could influence location.

Good to know,
Tempted to stay were she is for the foreseeable though am going to visit some of the closer marinas mentioned on my next visit before signing up.
Thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated.

Trident

Visit site
Take a look at Cartagena - the town is fantastic - not too touristy, beautiful and clean and big enough to have every shop you need for person or boat (there used to be a naval yard there - now much reduced but for example we found 3 separate places to get hydraulic parts for the autopilot ) but still small and friendly and you can walk everywhere. Marina is clean, friendly and inexpensive and next door is a good yard for haul out with good mechanics and you can work on the boat yourself.