Snuffer and Symmetrical Spinnaker Help

ATCBird

Visit site
I have just acquired a symmetrical spinnaker with a snuffer. When I got it rigged today the snuffer kept getting snagged; it worked well when I held the bottom of the spinnaker down and hoisted, but if I was on my own on the foredeck and just tried to raise it with the sheets attached It got about a meter up and seemed to get caught up with the sail in the snuffer sock. Am I doing something wrong, or does my snuffer need help?

roblpm

Visit site
I have just acquired a symmetrical spinnaker with a snuffer. When I got it rigged today the snuffer kept getting snagged; it worked well when I held the bottom of the spinnaker down and hoisted, but if I was on my own on the foredeck and just tried to raise it with the sheets attached It got about a meter up and seemed to get caught up with the sail in the snuffer sock. Am I doing something wrong, or does my snuffer need help?

Hoist and lower the spinnaker behind the jib? Get rid of the snuffer??!!

johnphilip

Visit site
Tension both guy and sheet before hoisting the snuffer off the sail. In fact there has to be someone on the sheet pulling as the sock is raised. As you sail shorthanded best is to pull the snuffer up about 5 or 6 ft, pause and pull the sail out so the sheet can be tightened before pulling the sock the rest of the way up. Spreading the foot of the sail also minimises the chance of a twist in the kite.

Andrew G

Visit site
Is this the first time you have used it and could there be an issue with its set up? Can you find somewhere to try it out (horizontally) on land? They should (and do) go up/down easily.
Keep a little tension on the slack part of the reefing line as you pay it out and, as said before, a little tension on the guy and sheet helps when setting (less critical when pulling down as the wind usually helps, but avoid twists) - but not so much as to make the spin. set before you are ready. I don't need/like to run backward and forwards when setting mine.
It is also important to tie off the reefing line with tension on both parts - somewhere where it doesn't get in the way, eg if you gybe, but can be reached in a hurry (eg just forward of the jib??).
When you bag the sail it is critical to capture the three cringles AND ensure the reefing lines don't get tangled and twisted.

(There are two "camps" - those who like snuffers and those who don't - form you own opinion after you have used it a bit. I sail entirely single handed - even with SWMBO on board (that is a little unfair) and use a snuffer on my asymmetric, 34' boat - I like it, but am also happy to let the autopilot steer while I bring the symmetric kite down under the boom etc. - I only have one snuffer but two kites). Cheers, Andrew

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hoist and lower the spinnaker behind the jib? Get rid of the snuffer??!!

Best method
Standing on the foredeck trying to operate the lines is dangerous,
have sheets & halliards long enough to recover under the boom & stuff the sail down below as you go
Control the halliard from the cockpit
I sail single handed & my snuffer lives in the garage where it belongs

Bobc

Visit site

You need to tension the guy and sheet before lifting the snuffer, in order to keep the kite to bunching-up inside it.

RobF

Visit site
You need to tension the guy and sheet before lifting the snuffer, in order to keep the kite to bunching-up inside it.

+1
You may find it handy to have a small carbine hook attached low down (e.g. to the bottom of the pulpit). Feed guy and sheet through this and don't allow the spinnaker to ride up (perhaps just by standing on them). When the snuffer is at the top, release the carbine and allow the guy and sheet to run free.

I also sail single handed and hate trying to hoist and fly the spinnaker from the cockpit. Much easier to put it on autopilot and manage the whole thing from the foredeck. It goes without saying that if you think you're going to have a problem hoisting or flying the spinnaker short/single handed, it probably isn't worth putting it up. Also worth noting that snuffers are generally used with asymmetrics where the tack is sufficiently tensioned to stop this problem.

Andrew G

Visit site
RobF makes a good point about asymmetrics (ie my usage) not having the problem 'cause they have tension in the luff. Rather than clipping the sheet and guy down can the same be achieved by dropping the pole slightly, possible as far forward as poss, and securing it with the downhaul?
Andrew