Smev cooker is cool - really cool

Loggo

Visit site
Anyone experienced a problem with their cooker and is there something I should look at first ?
The object in question is a SMEV cooker around 15 years old. All seems to work well and the flames are blue with a decent "spade like shape" as recommended.
Trouble is that the oven just doesn't seem to heat up sufficiently - yesterday the oven chips (which had defrosted) still took over an hour to cook. :mad:
The door seems to be closing tightly and this has occoured with several gas bottles so I guess the pressure is ok.
Is there anything obvious that I should be looking at ??:confused:

Visit site
Anyone experienced a problem with their cooker and is there something I should look at first ?
The object in question is a SMEV cooker around 15 years old. All seems to work well and the flames are blue with a decent "spade like shape" as recommended.
Trouble is that the oven just doesn't seem to heat up sufficiently - yesterday the oven chips (which had defrosted) still took over an hour to cook. :mad:
The door seems to be closing tightly and this has occoured with several gas bottles so I guess the pressure is ok.
Is there anything obvious that I should be looking at ??:confused:

Thermostat playing up?
Having said that a friend had a similar problem with his cooker. It turned out that the burners just needed a good clean....they had got choked up with rust.

maxi77

Visit site
We had the same problem with a smev oven in a brand new caravan, they were all like it in spec so no warranty claim but useless. Manufacturer started fittin microwaves instead.

Having said that they make good stuff just their budget oven is ****

SHUG

Visit site
The trick is to get a variable pressure regulator. I can't remember exactly but a statndard regulator is about 20m bar and you need nearer 30m bar or slightly higher to cook pizza in the Smev oven. Otherwise great oven.

PS I have checked the specification and 30mbar is correct for minimum gas pressure. Are you sure that your oven is not fitted with Propane nozzles. Propoane has, I believe a higher calorific value than butane so smaller nozzles are used.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
The cooker should be marked with the type of gas and the operating pressure

Propane is normally used at 37mb, butane at 28mb

Modern appliances are often suitable for either gas at 30mb

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There are many complaints about smev ovens on motorhome forums. Many are similar to yours, i.e. that it just doesn't get hot enough. Various reasons are suggested and, as on all forums, these range from the reasonable to the ludicrous. It seems that if you can run it on propane at 37 mbar it will work quite well. As all production motorhomes and caravans now run on propane at 30 mbar it may be that there are alternative jets?

I have read of one solution, from an owner who had considerable engineering experience, who drilled out his jets. The sizes involved were microscopically small and this is not a modification for everybody, but it was effective. Perhaps a first step might be to try pricking the jet(s) with nylon bristles or some other soft material.

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
Is it worth checking the actual temp of the oven with a thermometer? Cheapish to buy. Oven chips take ages to do if only 10 deg colder than on the pack. Your results make sense if the packet says 225 and the oven is 190 for example. I don't know the oven but does it have a temp setting? If not it's probably set to run on 200 ish as default.

Loggo

Visit site
Hi all, Just thought I would update this post. Gave up trying to boost the heat on the oven so bought a brand new one four months ago. Everything is now perfect and I have no complaints (other than the price )........... Now if anyone would like to make an offer on the old one ? - matching hob as well !

sailorman

Visit site
There are many complaints about smev ovens on motorhome forums. Many are similar to yours, i.e. that it just doesn't get hot enough. Various reasons are suggested and, as on all forums, these range from the reasonable to the ludicrous. It seems that if you can run it on propane at 37 mbar it will work quite well. As all production motorhomes and caravans now run on propane at 30 mbar it may be that there are alternative jets?

I have read of one solution, from an owner who had considerable engineering experience, who drilled out his jets. The sizes involved were microscopically small and this is not a modification for everybody, but it was effective. Perhaps a first step might be to try pricking the jet(s) with nylon bristles or some other soft material.

we run ours on propane & camping gaz without problems, we cooked bread in it on Friday & whilst 2 rings were on as well. it is 16 yrs old & looks like new

xeitosaphil

Visit site
we run ours on propane & camping gaz without problems, we cooked bread in it on Friday & whilst 2 rings were on as well. it is 16 yrs old & looks like new

Slight thread drift-

Cooker Model – Smev 0333FGT 2 x hobs + oven and grill, unsure of age but also looks like new. It doesn't have a Thermometer fitted as standard so use a separate one in the oven prior too cooking

I have a similar problem to the OP but last week mine shut down half way through cooking two lasagnes, I was using the 2 ring outlets on the hob at the same time though, and wondered if it could be down to amount of gas flow. I am just going over to the boat to check the regulator, as I see on the manual it states it should be 28-30mbar 1.5kgh for G30 Butane. I have seen 28mbar regulators which are only 1.0kgh and wondered if I have the correct one fitted?
It does state on the manual that it will run on G31 Propane @ 37mbar 1.5kgh but as I am set up for Butane, I haven’t tried it yet.

Can I ask sailorman, does your oven control knob regulate the gas up and down (higher or lower) which you would expect it too, only mine seems to stay at the same level - Up High or off. There are numbers 1-6 on the control knob but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the flame height. Also when lighting the oven it needs to be on 6 or it won't light, could this be a control valve problem or do you think it could be down to gas flow?
Would it be possible to service the valve or might I need a replacement, and if so where now do you get the correct spares from these days as I think mine maybe about the same age as yours.

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi, did you buy another SMEV? and if so which one was it. I'm looking at a SMEV 7000 three burner and trying to make up my mind. The standard non gimballed version is nearly half the price of the gimballed one, but I cant find out if there any other differences.

Regards
Tony

TonyMills

Visit site
My original reply has gone into the depths of the thread so I thought I'd send it again!!

Hi, did you buy another SMEV? and if so which one was it. I'm looking at a SMEV 7000 three burner and trying to make up my mind. The standard non gimballed version is nearly half the price of the gimballed one, but I cant find out if there any other differences.

Regards
Tony

sailorman

Visit site
Slight thread drift-

Cooker Model – Smev 0333FGT 2 x hobs + oven and grill, unsure of age but also looks like new. It doesn't have a Thermometer fitted as standard so use a separate one in the oven prior too cooking

I have a similar problem to the OP but last week mine shut down half way through cooking two lasagnes, I was using the 2 ring outlets on the hob at the same time though, and wondered if it could be down to amount of gas flow. I am just going over to the boat to check the regulator, as I see on the manual it states it should be 28-30mbar 1.5kgh for G30 Butane. I have seen 28mbar regulators which are only 1.0kgh and wondered if I have the correct one fitted?
It does state on the manual that it will run on G31 Propane @ 37mbar 1.5kgh but as I am set up for Butane, I haven’t tried it yet.

Can I ask sailorman, does your oven control knob regulate the gas up and down (higher or lower) which you would expect it too, only mine seems to stay at the same level - Up High or off. There are numbers 1-6 on the control knob but it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the flame height. Also when lighting the oven it needs to be on 6 or it won't light, could this be a control valve problem or do you think it could be down to gas flow?
Would it be possible to service the valve or might I need a replacement, and if so where now do you get the correct spares from these days as I think mine maybe about the same age as yours.
Ours controls the temp (& adjusts the gas to suit) via the 1 > 6 knob

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Ours controls the temp (& adjusts the gas to suit) via the 1 > 6 knob

Thanks for the reply, since posting earlier post I have now changed the Regulator for a 1.5kgh as the one fitted was only 1.0kgh (my mistake) and hope this works better?

I also spent some time finding out that, the gas no matter what setting it is on between 1- 6, it comes on at full chat and reduces flow until it reaches the set regulated temp setting.

I think when it went out, it may have been due to having the wrong output flow regulator, as everything was in use but with restricted flow?

I have also found that when on a high setting, and you turn it down to a lower number, the thermostat drastically reduces the gas output flame to a very low height as the oven is over the thermostat regulated temp. If you open the door to check it out, and close it again, the strong spring on the door shuts with such a blast of air that it can blow the low level flame out.

I think that with the new higher flow regulator, and careful use of the thermostat and door closure everything should be ok but time will tell.

If not I will change everthing to Propane as you and others seem to say that Smev cookers work better at higher regulator pressures.

Loggo

Visit site
Hi, Sorry for the delay. Yes we bought another, identical to the 15 year old original. Can't remember the model at the moment but it is the separate oven/hob setup and is identical to the 15 year old unit it replace in everything except performance. It now works like a normal cooker. ;)