Smelly something

upstream

Visit site
I have a bad case of smelly heads/plumbing. I have renewed the inlet/outlet hoses with a so called non pourus type which is supposed to supress smells, I flush the system thought before leaving the boat, but one week later the smell is back. The inlet water is black and quite foul when initially pumped, do I have a bug growing in the system? any amount of cleaning and disinfecting will not stop the foul water smell returning.
I have seen a deodouring/disinfecting system advertised which is fitted in the inlet hoses, is this the only solution or have I got it wrong somewhere? Thanks for any help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david

Visit site
Bacteria

It's normal harmless bacteria growing in the inlet/suction pipe. I have two heads on my boat, one is ok but the other suffers from that dreaded pong. Usually it only pongs the first time of pumping after the boat has been unused for a week or so. I'm afraid I have no remeadies and I have tried many over the years.

<hr width=100% size=1>David

MartinGPerry

Visit site
You need to kill the bugs in the inlet pipe to stop the smell. Here is a simple and effective solution.

Buy an in line dosing system that is sold to go between the pump and the bowl and takes deodorising tablets. (I got ours from West Marine while visiting the States) - throw away the instructions and the tablet they give you to produce pretty blue foaming flush water but doesn't cure the smell.

Put this cartridge holder in the inlet line from the seacock to the heads, (double clip the connections), now get hold of a swimming pool chlorine block they are about the size of a mug. I got ours from the supermarket in Cherbourg 4 years ago for about 20 francs.

Break the block up with a hammer and put a piece no larger than a pea in the cartridge holder.

The chlorine will sterilise the flush water and stop the smell. The first time you flush after the boat has been left there will be a slight smell of chlorine - about the same as a swimming pool - if its stronger you are using to large a tablet.

Your flush water will no longer smell, after about a month you will have to renew the tablet.

We have been using this system for about 4 years and its absolutely effective and has had no effect on the heads seals or valves.

Happy flushing!

Martin Perry

<hr width=100% size=1>

gtmoore

Visit site
I have had the same problem and have screwed a brass T piece to the inlet seacock. I have connected to the middle connection of the T piece another seacock (1/2") and a short length of hose. Before leaving the boat (or whenever I feel like it!) I fill the heads sink with warm soapy water and stick the pipe into this and pump through the toilet. Works well, fills the inlet and outlet pipes with fresh soapy water and obviously keeps the bowl nice and clean.

I like the deodourising filter post idea and probably would have gone for that option if I'd thought of it!. Still nice to have fresh water sitting in the pipes when you leave the boat for a while though. Maybe a permanent hook-up with the fresh water system with the filter inline as well would give the best of both worlds and not have to muck about with filling sinks!

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin