Small RIBS --- good or bad ?

G

I have been looking at an Avon Seasport SE320 Deluxe RIB for a while now to use as a tender / playboat so that I can have that swinging mooring at Caernarffon now that I`ve finally resprayed me Eygthene 24 and got shut of me Sonata. Is it worth getting a RIB ?????

G

Buying RIB's is good, loosing RIB is bad .. ask Adam !

G

Re:I tried Small RIBS...

Neither fish nor foul. Small RIBS don't offer much in the way of improvement over a similar sized inflatable. They are heavier and more expensive.

We went back to inflatables. a Bombard aerodeck which is performing pretty well.

Whatever you choose I swear by the drop down wheels you can fit to this kind of boat. They really increase the ease of landing and protect the outboard when beaching.

Tom

G

Re:I tried Small RIBS...

The outboard with it is a Johnson 25hp with power trim and tilt --- all elecy, so cannot envisage any problems beaching it.

G

Re:Sounds a bit technical for me....

I love this size of boat for their lightness and their portability. If I got into power tilt outboards I'd buy a rigid runabout. We beach ours in the rockflanked little beaches near Salcombe where its handy to drag the beast up above the tideline.

It depends what you want out of the boat. Our priorities were to get from the roof of the Landrover to the water, singlehanded if necessary in 20mins, and to be able to plane with 4 adults. Oh! and we all wanted to get to the pub and back with dry bottoms.

Tom

G

Re:Sounds a bit technical for me....

Avon Seasport SE320 Deluxe Rigid Inflatable Boat uses tender / river runner / picnic boat / fishing boat / mega exciting apparently ..... its why its got a 25hp Johnson on it with power trim and tilt. Also does about 20knots apparently, I saw 15 when I test drove it..... Its just that I`m looking at a swinging mooring for me boat but cant decide cos if I got the mooring then I`d have to have the RIB. But I cannay justify that £8k price tag albeit it includes a twailer.....

G

Bit like a cradle really. IT fits round the transom and tubes keeping the outboard off the floor, its fitted when you take RIB off trailercomes with a separate handle which attaches to the front of the RIB which enables you to pick it up and move it about. Brilliant idea if you leave your RIB in a boat park / storage yard, cos you take the trailer home and still have use of the RIB,,,,,,

G

Re:I\'ll race yer then...

our Aerodeck gets 20knots on the GPS from 15HP.

I know what you mean though. It's all about choices. We found that ours was so much fun for days out that the sailing suffered.

Tom

G

Re: Wheels

Mine are a generic make that are available in chandlers all over. You bolt two brackets to your transom. The wheels are like dinghy trolly inflatable jobs. They lock down prior to landing and launching and they lock up either side of the engine for boating. I've been told their unsitely but I don't see it. They make launching and recovering so easy I don't care what they look like. They also can be removed in seconds for storing the boat.

Tom