Small o/b group test???

Eric_Cartman

Visit site
Hiya folks

Can I pick your collective brains please?

I'm absolutely positive I saw a group test of small outboards in one of the major magazines within the last few months. But where???

At the time I read with interest but little esle - now I need to buy an aux can I find the mag - can I b@@@##y....

Any recollections????

Many thanks

James

PS. Anybody an opinion on the 3.5 Tohatsu's? Good value or expensive ballast??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
There was one in PBO a couple of years ago. Personnally I have the 3.5 Tohatsu and am very pleased with it. It replaced a 2hp yamaha. I like having a neutral gear, there is tons more power, but it doesnt weigh a great deal more. Furthermore the Tohatsu is the same engine as most of the competition (just re-badged) and a different cover), but is quite a bit cheaper.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stemar

Visit site
I'd second the vote for the Tohatsu 3.5. Admittedly mines only a year old, but always starts fine, plenty of guts - as a backup it pushes my Snapdragon 24 at around 3 knots - and reasonably economical.

Also no problems with oil in the carb if it gets tilted the wrong way, as can happen with 4 stroke OBs. I watched a chap struggling for over an hour with his little Honda the other day after it fell over in the locker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I third the Tohatsu 3.5. Mine's still running in, but it was only £339 - as much as £200 cheaper than competitors. My observation about the Honda from having a few going past over the last few weeks is that they seem as noisy as a Seagull...

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"

whisper

Visit site
Strangely enough I've just watched 2 dinghies go past, one powered by a Seagull, the one behind by a Honda 2.3. The Seagull was in fact much noisier and at a higher pitch. The Honda sounds strange and I agree is noisier than the normal modern small 2 stroke.

<hr width=100% size=1>