Small motor sailor suggestions?

Tim Good

Visit site
My Dad is an avid sailor and won number Nationals in Dragons, Squibs and J24s with Tony Saltenstall, brother of ex UK Olympic coach. Anyway, my Dad is now late 70s and sailing his small Beneteau through the winter is too much.

I suggested a Colvic Watson 26 as something he can sail with all year round in comfort. I think he'll sacrifice the sailing performance for a hot cup of tea and a pilot house.

Anyway what other options can you think of in terms of a motor sailor that is 25-30ft given that he is a sailor at heart and not a motorboater.

jwilson

Visit site
Hunter Pilot 27 - does actually sail very well, even in bilge-keel form. CW23 or CW28 (don't recall a 26) good in their own way but not much pure sailing ability.

LM28 sails better than you expect from looking at it, LM30 even better.

Seajet

Visit site
With your Dad's background I think a Colvic lump might be too far on the sail / motor / not much good at either scale.

A good late model Centaur with a sprayhood will sail well ( not much rewarding ' feel ' on the tiller though ) and motor well, assuming it has been re-engined by now.

The LM's are worth a look too but I thought the interiors very stark and angular, in a bruising sort of way.

Westerly Merlin / Vulcan / Konsort / Griffin with a sprayhood ?

The earlier Southerlys have horrendous underwater profiles with DRAG written all over them; I'd think a decent sailing boat with a good sprayhood might be the answer.

pvb

Visit site
The Colvic Watson 26 doesn't win any prizes in the "row-away appeal" stakes. If I were looking for something like that, I'd want a Fisher 25 - a gorgeous little boat which just looks right.

sarabande

Visit site
The ability to open a door from a warm saloon, wander round deck and easily adjust a sail or two, then retire to the warmth is a wonderful feeling. CWs fulfill that excellently. Have a word with Caer Urfa, who knows everything about them.

As an ex-CW owner, think their reputation as a bucket of lard is seriously erroneous.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
The Colvic Watson 26 doesn't win any prizes in the "row-away appeal" stakes. If I were looking for something like that, I'd want a Fisher 25 - a gorgeous little boat which just looks right.

Me thinks you have never sailed one properly:)

Most Fisher owners will tell you the Colvic Watson 25'-6" is bigger inside than a Fisher 25' but both are great offshore sailors (under sail only),
I am 72 and still sail and a CW will suit your Dad fine and is best for 'Single handed' sailing as most are duel steering and a great sea boat with a pedigree second to none
and a boat that look after him as we don't all want to be doing 8 +knots plus

I have lost count of the yachts I pass heading for port with the skipper getting absolutely soaked and cold, I sure know which boat I want to be in!

Mike

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
A third vote for the HR Kutter! She gave us a safe passage across the North Sea last year
Four votes. I've had 13 happy years sailing mine, mostly single-handed and, now aged 83, have every intention of continuing, also single-handed.

HR94a.jpg

ianat182

Visit site
Perhaps above your budget but a very good Motor sailer with a good turn of speed is the Moody Eclipse 33, perhaps heavier price than you want, but a good performer nevertheless; The other two Eclipses are the 38 and the 43, I sailed both, the interior of the 38 was very good in space and layout and of course a roomy deckhouse area and with both sets of steering.
All 3 have in-mast furling which slightly detracts from the performance. The only reservation for me is when fitted with smoked glass in the deckhouse area and sailing from inside it is difficult to see tthrough if heeled excessively in rainy conditions. Manouevring ahead or astern is very predictable and controllable. Good quality joinery and fittings throughout. Volvo.s 38/43hp
on the smaller versions, can't remember the 43' version's power.

ianat182

ashtead

Visit site
Has he looked at. Sirius lovely boats which seem to sail and I believe can be test sailed from Haslar. There was a 40 berthed next to us but smaller versions exist I gather and might be slightly more exciting than a Fisher or Eclipse and of course somewhat newer if you just want a boat for sailing as opposed to maintains?

Sybarite

Visit site
Last edited: