small Automatic Bilge Pump

m1taylor

Visit site
My clinker 17ft boat is still taking up after two weeks - nothing drastic, but I am slightly concerned that if I can't get to her for any longer period of time, and she is still seeping, then the water could accumulate. I have manual pumps - but was thinking that I ought just to have something that will cover me if she is left. So what I want is the small automatic 12v submersible bilge pump I can find - I don't want to mucking about with float switches, so definetely looking for an all in one unit. Any recommendations?

Dipper

Visit site
The Rule 500 auto should easily be enough for your needs. It doesn't have a float switch so it has to carry out frequent but very short 'test pumps' to see if there is any water. Over a long period, this might drain your battery although Rule claim the power consumption is very low. There is the possibility that water draining back down the pipe may just be enough to start it pumping again so a non-return valve may be needed in the system although these are generally discouraged on the discharge side of pumps (not sure why).

srp

Visit site
I had a Rule auto in my gaffer, worked a treat, often had to leave it to its' own devices for 6 weeks at a time due to work. It didn't cause any flat battery problems, although I did have a little 11w solar charger attached. The outlet was about 15" above the waterline, so there was quite a bit of back-drain but it didn't cause the pump to keep cycling on. It comes on about every 6-7 minutes, for about 3 seconds at a time unless there's water in the bilge.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
Have you thought aboutr one of those norwegian wave-action pumps? It's a cunning device that floats alongside the boat and turns small amounts of wave action into pumping. They are around £100 I think and the chandler in Portree www.bow-and-stern.co.uk (Isle of Skye) can probably supply. I think they are the only UK agent.

This device has the great advantage of being non electric. I have never had one but have seen one working and they seem to be very effective.

Dipper

Visit site
I used to sell these (Rulemate range) and a few were returned under warranty with the switch stuck on.