Slipway damages - who to report?

vandy

Visit site
we use a slipway just near Teddington lock (ferry road) - the condition of the slipway has deteriorated so badly (sharp nails holding old retaining wooden wall are out, the retaining wall is almost about to collapse!)

so I was wondering who’s responsible for managing public slipway? Is it the council, EA, or PLA?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Assuming the Boat Shop is still there it might be worth asking them. I wonder if the bloke with missing fingers is still there. Haven't been for years I suppose it might be closed.

I used to buy 2 stroke oil from the Boat Shop when it was the Hampton Wick side of Kingston bridge back in the 80s.

Slipway I would think would be a council owned asset but I don't know this.

Time Out

Visit site
I can assure you the Boat Shop is still there (and doing v well) as is Malcolm but Howard his son runs it now, both are lifelong friends. The first thing I would NOT do is ask them! it's the EA and they constantly hound them, more so for the wall as it is a flood defence that leaks badly.

I worked there when the original work was done and the Teddington Society would come down every Sat and clean it, it was spotless and a fully usable, clean slipway, on the tide of course.

If you want a slipway in Tedidngotn then use the Wharf which is the former Toughs Boat Yard and the one the RNLI use, it IS a public slipway regardless of what anyone says, I take mine out there and will be doing so in a week time as I have sold it. You can just about launch with a good trailer on at low tide but any sort of tide makes it a lot easier, its purpose-built and very wide, the only thing you cant do is park there.

If you want a Tues eve or Sat morn then just let the RNLI Tedd know as they practise on these days and they take most of it up as if they own it ;)

Given that beach and slip are the gateways to Tedd from the bridge its not exactly a welcome sight. Ironically it used to be the angler's side that was inaccessible, now this is the clean side!

Keith 66

Visit site
PLA would only take license money from the owner every year, the owner would have sole responsibility for maintenance, So probably the local authority.

Time Out

Visit site
PLA would only take license money from the owner every year, the owner would have sole responsibility for maintenance, So probably the local authority.

It's NOT the PLA, it's the EA as it's above the PLA boundary, the local authority won't do anything either.

Scapegoat

Visit site
It's NOT the PLA, it's the EA as it's above the PLA boundary, the local authority won't do anything either.
Seems to me that the EA are mainly motivated ( perhaps that is too strong a word) by Health & Safety. A complaint saying that in its current state it is unsafe with reasons why, citing SUPs, swimmers, children (apparent EA trigger words) might gee them up a bit. Be sure to ask for a complaint reference.

Boathook

Visit site
Seems to me that the EA are mainly motivated ( perhaps that is too strong a word) by Health & Safety. A complaint saying that in its current state it is unsafe with reasons why, citing SUPs, swimmers, children (apparent EA trigger words) might gee them up a bit. Be sure to ask for a complaint reference.
Posible problem with complaining to strongly is that they close it for safety as an easier option than repairing .....

Time Out

Visit site
Well the flood wall is at the end of ferry road so they won’t be able to close that ! The beach / slip I could see them closing.

They already fence off the island over summer due to anti social behaviour as in hundreds of kids swimming and being a pain daily.

Sadly it’s a good thing they close it.

CJL

Visit site
Looking on the Boatlaunch Website it states that the key is kept in the Boat Shop so they must know who gave them the key!

You could go and talk to the lock keeper to see if it is EA owned.

Failing that generally most slipways on the Tideway and non-tidal Thames are owned by the local authorities as the landowners so as Teddington is in the London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames I'd drop them a line - Contact the Council - London Borough of Richmond upon Thames

Nice to hear about Toughs Slipway and the reiteration that it's public. I do get frustrated how many organisations are increasing "claiming" public slipways as their own but the lack of parking near pretty much every single slipway in the UK is a constant frustration.

CJL

Time Out

Visit site
They have a key, yes but a hangover from years ago when it was used.

I used the Toughs slip last week to recover my now sold 17ft centre console.

The tide barely came in to say hello but we managed to get it out with ease. This is by far the best slip to use in Tedd.

Security were even quite friendly!

I just drop the RNLI Tedd a quick tweet tinker then know I am using it just in case they are training