Slipping Genoa Sheets

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Rough drums… our winches are Andersen, they are bright stainless finish, polished. There are some ridges on them, but no grippy surface like you find on other brands. I was told this was to be kind to the rope. We get no slippage at all, ever, not even with naked dyneema. Another vote here for washing the sheets, and failing that buy some new ones.
It's interesting that some are textured and some smooth.

I just looked in the shed and my old Lewmar winches are textured.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Rough drums… our winches are Andersen, they are bright stainless finish, polished. There are some ridges on them, but no grippy surface like you find on other brands. I was told this was to be kind to the rope. We get no slippage at all, ever, not even with naked dyneema. Another vote here for washing the sheets, and failing that buy some new ones.

I imagine the ridges creat internal friction (why a rope does not run easily over a short radius, like a carabiner), but so little it does no important harm. But the friction does have to come from somewhere.

Poignard

Visit site
We always use matt/soft polyester braid on braid for genny sheets. I suspect the 'soft' finish on the cover promotes friction on the winch. Do others use soft braid?
As mentioned above, my sheets came with the boat 25 years ago. I don't know what they are but I think they must be what you describe as they grip so well.

geem

Visit site
We always use matt/soft polyester braid on braid for genny sheets. I suspect the 'soft' finish on the cover promotes friction on the winch. Do others use soft braid?
We have used soft and hard braid over the years with no noticeable difference.

wfe1947

Visit site
My old Gibb, single speed, non-self tailing genoa winches still work ok mechanically but the sheets sometimes slip on the winch drum when sheeting in in strong winds, This even happens when there are 4 turns on the drum and plenty of tension on the tail of the sheet. The sheets are 12mm braid on braid polyester and the winch drum about 85mm diameter. The sheets are in good condition and about 5 years old.
Would it help to roughen up the surface of the winch drum?
Any other suggestions welcome.

Steve
I had a similar problem with my non-tailing winches. I fitted a jamming cleat after each winch and this works really well.

Stemar

Visit site
I read page one only.

Did anyone think the rubber donut "winchers" would help?

BARTON Wincher Grey Rubber Size L for 12-14mm Rope | eBay
I had them on Jissel and they worked well enough for me not to have to cleat the sheets most of the time, but they don't turn your plain winches into self tailers. The trick is to fill the drum with turns, but you'll still have to pull the tail off as you wind. I'll probably get them for Jazzcat, but I want to see how everything works without first.