Sitzpinklers only

Halo

Visit site
Sitzpinkler is a great German word for blokes who sit down to pee. It’s slightly derogatory.
I encourage all my crew to be sitzpinklers because there is no doubt that ,at best , stand up peeing results into a small low head results a fine spray settling onto the various pipes and surfaces. Eventually this gets unpleasant even with regular cleaning.
I have tried all sorts of encouragements but without success.
Two questions
1. Have you found a way to get blokes to sit?
2. How can I get a nice sign for the head saying “ sitzpinklers only “
Thanks

boomerangben

Visit site
Sitzpinkler is a great German word for blokes who sit down to pee. It’s slightly derogatory.
I encourage all my crew to be sitzpinklers because there is no doubt that ,at best , stand up peeing results into a small low head results a fine spray settling onto the various pipes and surfaces. Eventually this gets unpleasant even with regular cleaning.
Two questions
Thanks
I like it. I’m a sitzpinkler afloat and ashore. Three possible solutions: mandate a thorough cleaning after each use, speak to wives and encourage them to rebrief their partners or improve the quality of reading matter available (although this may have unhelpful side effects)

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

I am unsurprised it's slightly derogatory in some circles, but I'd formed the impression that in others it's the contrary: that men who won't do that are considered somewhat gross and ill-mannered. I also have been told it's increasingly an expectation in Germany (though only in certain classes or social circles, I imagine).

Two questions
Thanks

Getting a sign made up is the easy bit!

I don't 'encourage', I usually tell male visitors in no uncertain terms!

That's not to say they all always obey. I think the only thing you can do, if you feel sufficiently motivated, is (a) threaten to not invite them again (they may not consider that a threat - they may well not want to come again if they consider it a bizarre expectation, or really struggle to diverge from their lifetime habit); and/or (b) embarrass them by saying in front of others 'you've peed all over the place in the heads again, haven't you?'.

My heads compartment's low, er, headroom may encourage sitting, but then again it's so small width and lengthways, if you've full oilies on you'd need to eat least partially undo your clothing and reverse into the heads unless you're very small and lithe,.

I first came across this expectation many decades ago, with a Dutch friend with a particularly beautiful, artfully decorated and spotlessly clean boat interior, and I wouldn't have dared contravene his firm instruction.

I've since seen the wisdom of his rule (not to put too fine a point on it!), and have the same rule, even though (or perhaps because) I could never achieve the spotless, glamorous boat interiors that some manage.

I'm surprised that more people don't have such a rule on boats, but I've also heard people, er, pooh-pooh the idea..

Over time I've transferred the boat 'sitting down to pee' habit to land to some limited extent, but find it harder to always remember my intention on land, as my lifetime 'autopilot' habit of standing takes over unless I'm consciously over-riding it at the crucial 'approach' moment, but the different environment and physical constraints of my heads compartment (almost always!) reminds me on my boat.

biscuit

Visit site
If you have an enlarged prostate, it really isn't possible to empty one's bladder completely in the sitting position.
As an aged medic, I write from both personal and professional experience.
One's bladder is unresponsive to rules, and to video cameras , I would imagine. Seig Heil!

michael_w

Visit site
As I am the 'Captain of the Heads' on my boat and I only ever sail with SWMBO, I'll carry on peeing in the upright orientation.

Leighb

Visit site
If you have an enlarged prostate, it really isn't possible to empty one's bladder completely in the sitting position.
One's bladder is unresponsive to rules, and to video cameras , I would imagine. Seig Heil!
While true in many cases, it is unfortunately also true that an enlarged prostate makes it far more likely that a spray rather than a steerable stream will emerge.

awol

Visit site
I can understand sitting when shorts and t-shirts are the norm but when it's blowing a bit and the layers include oilies, thermals, trousers, underpants, etc. the time spent getting disrobed and robed is likely to test the most sweet tempered skipper's patience, especially when racing. Washing down the heads, if plastic moldings, takes a lot less time and effort.

LittleSister

Visit site
I can understand sitting when shorts and t-shirts are the norm but when it's blowing a bit and the layers include oilies, thermals, trousers, underpants, etc. the time spent getting disrobed and robed is likely to test the most sweet tempered skipper's patience, especially when racing. Washing down the heads, if plastic moldings, takes a lot less time and effort.

It's for such occasions they developed GRP self-draining cockpits!

(And plastic balers for those of us with non-self-draining wooden cockpits.)

It's funny, too, how women seem to manage to sit down in the heads, despite the challenges that defeat mere males.

p.s. Perhaps I've forgotten quite how challenging/tedious it can be. I rarely wear full oilskins these days: if the weather's that bad I will be wearing normal clothing, having retreated to the heated wheelhouse to steer! :)

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
It's funny, too, how women seem to manage to sit down in the heads, despite the challenges that defeat mere males.
From Yachting World :
"I know from my own experience that often women avoid drinks because of the hassle of removing their lifejacket, oilskin jacket, and mid-layer jacket for every heads visit. Trousers or salopettes with a drop-seat can solve that problem. "

I once had a pair of Henri Lloyd salopettes that had a tube instead of a zip fly - hell of a fiddle to use!

LittleSister

Visit site
From Yachting World :
"I know from my own experience that often women avoid drinks because of the hassle of removing their lifejacket, oilskin jacket, and mid-layer jacket for every heads visit. Trousers or salopettes with a drop-seat can solve that problem. "

Yes, my ex had drop-seat salopettes and considered them a boon. (Of course it would be unmanly for blokes to have such, er, conveniences.)

I once had a pair of Henri Lloyd salopettes that had a tube instead of a zip fly - hell of a fiddle to use!

Some arrangements - e.g. oilies, over regular trousers, over pants or thermal long-johns - each with different heights, types and orientations of openings - are more work (and hazardous!) than just removing the oilies to pee!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
FFS! What is going on in the world. If a man told me to sit to pee, there would be trouble and if that meant I didn't visit them again, so be it. I can pee without spraying urine all over the place.

And funny moments, one of which is problematic for a man sitting down

Edit - remove the image of the scene from The Full Monty where woman pee standing up in mens urinals - it may cause offence, apologies if it did.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
I thin

I think you, and other respondents, might enjoy reading the original article in The Guardian.

The splashback scandal: should all men sit down to urinate?

Jonathan