Sirenia - The refurbishment

CliveG

Visit site
Starting to think about the refurbishment

The surveyor want me to get 2 quotes for the work.
He has told Felixtowe Ferry Boat Yard to supply one.
He has suggested that I could quote my self.
The big cost items are:-
Mast and standing rigging.
GRP repairs. (Keel box and and repairing the 3 stanchion bases that have been pushed through the balsa cored deck)
New electronics
Re wire all systems
Engine refurbishment
new pulpit
new upholstery
Replace cabin lining

I believe the the work required if carried out at commercial rates would cost more that the insured value.
The alternative is to let them write her off and buy her back.
I don't know what value they would put on her.

A lot of the damage was caused during the recovery.
I am quite confident that I am capable of doing the work.

The hard bits will be fixing the leak and repairing the stanchion bases.

I am tempted to let them write her off and then I would be free to do the job how I want with out any further involvement from them.
I know that I will need a new survey before I could insure her again.

Any thoughts?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

I believe the the work required if carried out at commercial rates would cost more that the insured value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clive, my £0.02 - take it for what it's worth (probably not even £0.02 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

If GJW want to write her off - take the money and move on.

Much as you love her, she'll never be the same again. Will you ever again truly trust her? You can't buy peace of mind.

If you find it within you to rebuild her from scratch... it will be a long, hard road. Do you really want a major DIY project, or do you want to go sailing?
It's a buyer's market right now - there are literally tons of boats out there at more than halfway decent prices...

Decisions, decisions,....

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Clive

Has a reason for the sinking been identified?

Something that has been niggling in my mind and could be complete stupidity (yes it has been known for me to be wrong!) but when you said the keel was down and there was a bulge at the back end I wondered could the riser from the mooring have become wrapped around the keel at low / half tide and then when the tide rose the boat was held down allowing water up the keel box into the cabin?

Just a thought.

With regard to the refit, Guapa does make a sound point about loss of sailing time v's refurbishment time however only you know how much you want the boat and what She means to you. It is easy for others to be objective as we are not emotionally involved. Personally I hope I never have to be in your position.

Sorry I cannot be there to help tomorrow. If you run into Sunday and need a pair of hands Neil has my mobile.

All the best tomorrow.

Sixpence

Visit site
Clive
First off, if you do go for a refit, then count me in to help in any way I can. Crap at plastic but most other things I can help with
However
Practically speaking, and having spent the last year doing Sixpence, I have some idea how you must feel. I would be devestated, and would find it hard to think logically about which direction to go, so from the point of view of someone not directly affected it's probably easier to see it.
I would get two quotes from professional boat builders, and let the insurance company decide if they want to pay out, or write her off.
If they go for a quote, you will be able to supervise and get the work done the way you want, but with them paying. If they go for writing her off, I would want to weigh up all the possibilities, like that of taking the money and getting afloat almost straight away, and what your personal attachment to Sirenia is.
The refurbishment shouldn't take that long with enough hands helping out, but she's going to take a while to complete enough to get back to sailing. So really, you need to find out first, what the insurers decide, before making your decision. And again, it comes down to how attached to her, you are. If that makes sense.
As said, if you go for a refit yourself, team refit is on hand to help out.

TimBob1989

Visit site
Count me in for any help required if you decide to DIY it.

Won't offer a suggestion as to which way to go, but I know I couldn't part with my boat so I can't be objective either!

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Robin

davidfox

Visit site
I would agree with Dave, dont forget, you have paid for your insurance, against exactly for what has happened. Get 2 professional quotes which you should put before the company and see what they say, dont offer them the opportunity to 'do a cheapy' by doing it yourself, if they decide to write the vessel off, then let them put a value to it, at which point you can make a decision.
Whilst everyone is well meaning and trying to get you back on the water asap, this needs to be sorted out properly.

CliveG

Visit site
Will

Thanks for your 2p worth.

I am too attached to her to just let her go.
I really like the Evolution 25 and had great difficulty finding one to buy.
I have been keeping an eye on the market ever since and have not seen another one for sale.
If I where to get another boat for the payout money I would still have a project boat.

I am determined to get Sirenia back to better than before.
I quite enjoy working on her.
I am sure that it will be frustrating at times but that's boats for you.

Artemis_C2121

www.sailblogs.com
Hi Clive

Think your statement is prob the best way to look at it if you can afford to take the payout if its offered buy her back as write off as a project and look around for something else that can be sold on when you have Sirenia back to her best. Friend used to have a Trapper 500 which i was very impressed with a sturdy, quick little boat and not fortunes to buy either.

Should the work day still happen or wait until the damaged has been and refit has been priced?

Dont know if i will make it there today, minor family crisis at home nothing as bad as the loss of Sirenia.

A suggestion prob best done ASAP it to run the engine dont know what it is but best to run it up as early as poss, drain and change the oil and filter (use flushing oil) gravity feed clean fuel from a container to flush through the pumps/injectors new oil in the transmission as well if she is a deisel and has a de compression lever make sure you operate it to remove and fluids from the cylinders or remover the injectors /spark plugs if petrol let her warm up. this should make the strip and rebuild easier.
I have a cpl of days a week and happy to assist in this if required but a man of your knowledge and capabilities shouldnt be a problem.

Neville

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
My view. Also get two professional quotes. Don't take up the loss adjusters suggestion of quoting yourself. The professional quotes will likely be over 15K given the items you have listed. Make sure they quote on a new mast.

The insurance company are bound to offer you a write off value. This is where you now need to prepare your case to get the best write off value to argue how good an example of the mark Sirenia was etc. etc. Photos, opinions from professionals who have known her etc. Their first offers are bound to be derisory. From what I gather it is usually a bit of a battle getting what you think market value is out of them.

However, I would think carefully before then buying back and rebuilding. The cost, even if you do it yourself will surprise you. I racked up nearly 10K fitting out Moon Dancer at trade prices, and that is a 24 foot new boat starting from a 'sailaway' basis.

Also, you may have difficulty in selling her later on. All the locals will know she is an 'insurance write off'. It is not fair but it really doe sput buyers off. A chap at Carters is having difficulty in selling his lovely little boat, he thinks because people know it was repaired having been damaged at a mooring and written off.

The other thing is you may end up hating her after rebuilding. I may be strange but I usually end up hating a car after spending a year or so restoring it. Despite dreams of keeping them forever, often sell them very quickly afterwards.

Sixpence

Visit site
Clive
Exactly what I was hoping you were going to say
Right
Let the cleanup crew do the job
Try and find out what happened in the first place
Then let's put together a working plan to get her done and back on the water
With enough hands to help, most of the work can probably be done in quick time, but let's see a report once she's cleaned up, then we'll work out the rest after that
As said, count us in for the work that's going to be needed

mormargh

Visit site
I would get the two quotes also before deciding. Also agree with flushing the engine ASAP as it would seiously cut the cost of refurbishing if it can be salvaged.