Singlehanding Scottish canals?

steve yates

Visit site
Feasible? Pita? No way?
Never been in a canal or lock in my life, but if I get fair winds next week, I'll come round the top and go back to the west coast via the Caledonian canal.

I can prob press gang a crew ember for it as its not the open sea and they won't be so scared ( of my inexperience)

I may then end up in the Crinan canal in oct sometime as I work my way back south towards Cumbria.

What are the major issues? Any clever tips? Any sites or publications that can demystify locking in and out etc?

Thx.

EdWingfield

Visit site
Steve, the staff are wonderful to a single-hander. Let them know you wouldn't mind if they kept an eye on you.

Use four big fenders each side. Have fore and aft ropes long enough to pass around a bollard and back to you.

If you find yourself in company with other boats ask skipper if you may borrow a crew.

Concede your place in the queue - be last in the lock.

If there are big boats sharing the lock don't cast off until their prop wash has ceased.

Anti-midge formula?

awol

Visit site
Caledonian as above. Tending both lines from ashore and walking the boat up the lock flights - Banavie, F.Augustus, Muirtown - is more sociable and less stressful. Do NOT throw lines to tourists - it is a recipe for disaster!

Crinan - helps greatly if your boat kicks to starboard in astern 'cos the ladders are near the back of the right hand side of the locks. Progress will be slow as you have to park; open the gate(s) - if your beam (with fenders) is <3m you only need to open one gate; tie to ladder; climb; hook and return bow and stern lines (probably down and up ladder); open sluices (not very far if going up); rush back down ladder to untie and tend lines; reverse entry process not forgetting to close lock gate and sluices. So, so much easier with at least one other bod - even the callow hands-in-their-pockets youths from the Yot Spot are sufficient - or go through with a crewed boat that kicks to port.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I did the Crinan a few years back. You cannot do it singlehanded. Full STOP. You have to have somebody ashore. I know they can supply 'pilots'. When I didit these were experienced, retired, guys who knew what they were doing. I gather that is no longer the case but I expect there will be other posters with more recent transits.

BUT it was an awful experience. Turbulence in locks; packed in. I did it because the weather round the Mull looked dodgy; another time I will wait a couple of days for the weather to clear.

Can not speak for the Cally, as I haven't done it.

agurney

agurney.com
I did the Crinan a few years back. You cannot do it singlehanded. Full STOP. You have to have somebody ashore.

You CAN do the Crinan single handed, but it's slow and tedious when there's nobody else around, albeit peaceful and an interesting challenge. I did Lochgilphead to Crinan in a day in (IIRC) February many years ago when there were only a couple of lockkeepers available to operate the road bridges. It involved lots of boat handling with long ropes from the shore, not something you could do mid-season.

steve yates

Visit site
I have a on skin so soft so the midges are sorted, plus will be end of sep for cally, middle of October for Crinan, so should be none by then. Thx guys, I'd rather go round the mull but if it has to be the Crinan it has to be. Boat is only 2m wide and 5.5 m long, so should be ok opening one gate only?

Quandary

Visit site
This time of year when there are no boats about Crinan is easy, did it last Sunday. Started off late morning/early afternoon at Lock 13, starboard too beside the ladder. You open 13, 12 and 11 before you start up then pull in after 11 to close the locks below, then open 10 and 9, the same. Open the paddle on the side the boats on and rise slowly, short stern line, longer bow line which is the only one you adjust. Single handed that will take two to three hours. Stop above lock 8 and open 8, 7 and 6, the bridge keepers will get 5 and 4 ready for you, then pull in below 4 to prepare 3 and 2. Going down you just open both paddles and tend the lines. You should only have to open one side, and you will probably get help from the lock keepers here and there. Can be done in a day but easier to allow 2.
Alternative 1, join a well manned boat from Crinan and they will help you, but if they are a couple of duffers and paying a 'pilot' you may be charged
Alternative 2, you PM then phone me and I will take you through, our normal charge is £60 but for you it would be free as long as you are happy to chat about all your experiences this summer. I can lend you some extra fenders if you need them.
Note that operating hours are shortening from here on into winter.
For the Cally it is easy, the staff there will sort you out and tell you what they want you to do, on the long flights they may tell you to tie up alongside a bigger boat, just do as they suggest.

Last edited:

agurney

agurney.com
I have a on skin so soft so the midges are sorted, plus will be end of sep for cally, middle of October for Crinan, so should be none by then. Thx guys, I'd rather go round the mull but if it has to be the Crinan it has to be. Boat is only 2m wide and 5.5 m long, so should be ok opening one gate only?

Yes, only opening one gate's is fine.

+1 for Quandary's only opening one sluice on the way up. It keeps the boat steady against the wall and keeps things simple.

ctva

Visit site
The Crinan Pilot with the funny accent can be a bit cranky :) but as he said, easily done as long as you are not in a rush and enjoy the trip through. Lots to see along the short 9 miles too. All I would say is that that staff at the Crinan sealock are very helpful as are the ones on the Cairnbaan flight. Let us know how you get on and if we are up (Bellanoch) give us a wave and we'll help too.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

goodonya stevie boy

you make us lush sailors with our massive boats, full standing headroom ,separate heads look like the woosies we are

I am very proud of you

D

jamie N

Visit site
On the Caley canal, rafting is the best and easiest solution single handing. The lock personnel were fantastically helpful, and enjoyed banter. From lock to lock, the keepers will inform the next lock along of what's coming through, by telling them that "There are 2 Caley Cruisers (chartered canal boats with any level of competence), and 2 private yachts". If there are only Caley Cruisers, then there might be an audible groan from up the canal!
Fort Augustus was packed with tourists when I went 'down' it last month, and curiously all of the lock folk were 'dolly birds'! I wonder if the two things are related?

MM5AHO

Visit site
As already said by others, You CAN do the Crinan singlehanded. Slow and tedious but possible. (took me all day)

I have "helped" others singlehanded also (by going two or three in a lock), by getting them to stay on the boat and just throw their lines up.

Two handed is better. Quandary's advice is good.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
When we used to do the Crinan we ended up alone one year and I helmed on the boat (I was only around 12) - my mum and dad did the shore-work. We rigged long ropes through blocks fore and aft and brought them back to the cockpit winches where I could control both fore and aft lines from one place. Plenty of fenders and gently does it. Was a very satisfying experience to take a boat through the crinan canal at such a young age.

The fastest run through we ever had was with a fishing boat. It didn't tie up in the locks. Going up, they pushed the gates open with the boat and we just snuck in the back of each lock behind them and with plenty of fenders out managed to avoid getting hammered against the walls as they cranked the sluice gates fully open (sometimes before the lock gates had fully closed). Going down was more manageable. They were very helpful and took our shore-lines.

steve yates

Visit site
This time of year when there are no boats about Crinan is easy, did it last Sunday. Started off late morning/early afternoon at Lock 13, starboard too beside the ladder. You open 13, 12 and 11 before you start up then pull in after 11 to close the locks below, then open 10 and 9, the same. Open the paddle on the side the boats on and rise slowly, short stern line, longer bow line which is the only one you adjust. Single handed that will take two to three hours. Stop above lock 8 and open 8, 7 and 6, the bridge keepers will get 5 and 4 ready for you, then pull in below 4 to prepare 3 and 2. Going down you just open both paddles and tend the lines. You should only have to open one side, and you will probably get help from the lock keepers here and there. Can be done in a day but easier to allow 2.
Alternative 1, join a well manned boat from Crinan and they will help you, but if they are a couple of duffers and paying a 'pilot' you may be charged
Alternative 2, you PM then phone me and I will take you through, our normal charge is £60 but for you it would be free as long as you are happy to chat about all your experiences this summer. I can lend you some extra fenders if you need them.
Note that operating hours are shortening from here on into winter.
For the Cally it is easy, the staff there will sort you out and tell you what they want you to do, on the long flights they may tell you to tie up alongside a bigger boat, just do as they suggest.

Bloody hell, thank you quandary! That is a massively generous offer. If I don't go round the mull, I will certainly pm you.
Even if I have crew, I will give you a shout and buy you a beer if your around for that offer. If I'm on my own and your free, I will buy you dinner too as a thank you, while I bore you rigid :)

steve yates

Visit site
Ha Dylan, you started it :)
How many years were you sailing in the slug? 6? 7?

I doubt I'll last that long in my Bradwell, one more year, maybe, if I don't sink her before November, then I'll be looking at around 25ft, man it will be palatial :)

Visit site
+1 to the fulsome praise; brilliant effort!!
Never done the Crinan, but done the cally twice; once in a Folkboat ( your aspirational size) and once in the Pirate. Much easier in the little boat! Staff really helpful; dreading it but no probs. One thing that hasn't been pointed out is , depending on wind direction and strength, Loch Ness in particular can be an energetic beat/ whizzy downwind sail - if your boat doesn't have a diesel thumper to push you on regardless.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Ha Dylan, you started it :)
How many years were you sailing in the slug? 6? 7?

I doubt I'll last that long in my Bradwell, one more year, maybe, if I don't sink her before November, then I'll be looking at around 25ft, man it will be palatial :)

I stuck with the slug for five years until the engine went pop

three seasons in Katie L the minstrel

one year in Centaur 1

and so far a year in Centaur 2

It makes me proud when blokes tell me that I showed them how much you could do in a shit boat

D