Single line reefing, diagram wanted

dunedin

Visit site
Yes our system is closer to underdog's diagram - no pulleys inside the boom, which just seem to be unnecessary complexity. Also we just have eyes at leach and rings at luff. Works perfectly, but use cruising dyneema ropes to be thinner.

TernVI

Visit site
There are quite enough turning block s on a single line system without adding to them by using a balance block. Each extra block is more friction.
That's not true.
Or should not be.
In a balance block system, the total distance string moves through blocks is less.
The tesnsion is the same.
Much less string is moving through the awkward blocks potentially rubbing on the sail.
So the work done as friction should be significantly less.

Unfortunately, in my experience, about 3 out of 4 single line systems work really quite badly, however they are intended to be configured.
The 1 out of 4 that works properly is fine, while it's working.

ctva

Visit site
We ditched the single line reefing on our 34' after a year of ownership as it was easier and more reliable to use a single line from the clew with manual bull horns for the tack.

If it's too risky for the crew to go to the mast, you've left it too late to reef.

The complexity is the same reason I'll never have in-mast reefing .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We ditched the single line reefing on our 34' after a year of ownership as it was easier and more reliable to use a single line from the clew with manual bull horns for the tack.

If it's too risky for the crew to go to the mast, you've left it too late to reef.

The complexity is the same reason I'll never have in-mast reefing .
That's where we differ then. I have used the system shown in post #2 for 30 years. If it is set up correctly with the smallest section Dyneema it will take (strength, sheave and clutch size) it is superb. I would never have anything else.

Stemar

Visit site
No argument with that, but it's an error we all make from time to time. I'm very glad to be able to raise, lower and reef the main without leaving the cockpit, using a home brew version of Underdog's setup. The trick seems to be to use high quality blocks with ball bearings. Sleeve bearings work for a while, but soon get stiff.