Single Handed Reefing

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
That's a little boat, like my F-24 (I have a full batten main, so similar weight), so easy.

Take the tail of the halyard around a winch and then forward to the mast with you. Release the jammer and lower the sail (easy to control with the halyard in your hand), put the jammer on ratchet (cam just catching) with your toe so the the sail cannot go down. Hook the ram's horn, and give the halyard a good tug. Walk back to the cockpit. I do it this way every time, very easy, very fast.

It's just sequence thing. And take the halyard tail to the mast with you.
Does your F-24 not have on boom roller reefing like the 27? UK ones do, or at least the ones I’ve seen.

Daydream believer

Visit site
That's a little boat, like my F-24 (I have a full batten main, so similar weight), so easy.

Take the tail of the halyard around a winch and then forward to the mast with you. Release the jammer and lower the sail (easy to control with the halyard in your hand), put the jammer on ratchet (cam just catching) with your toe so the the sail cannot go down. Hook the ram's horn, and give the halyard a good tug. Walk back to the cockpit. I do it this way every time, very easy, very fast.

It's just sequence thing. And take the halyard tail to the mast with you.
Unfortunately, that would probably not work on a boat with a sprayhood & the winch under that?

steveeasy

Visit site
DD

To solve this one needs a saddle on the mast through which the part of the reef line going down to the block on the deck passes.

Been searching for this saddle you speak of, as it sounds quite useful. any pics at all ?. I probably need something to draw the reefing lines in line with the mast towards the blocks on the mast ring..

Steveeasy

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I also use a loop of bungee corn to hold the cringle onto the hook. Double sided so can do reef 1 & 2, for reef 3 use bungee from reef 1. The KISS principle...

Daydream believer

Visit site
DD

To solve this one needs a saddle on the mast through which the part of the reef line going down to the block on the deck passes.

Been searching for this saddle you speak of, as it sounds quite useful. any pics at all ?. I probably need something to draw the reefing lines in line with the mast towards the blocks on the mast ring..

Steveeasy
It looks like this, but this website is pretty crap & the size of this one is too big. But it shows the thing I mean
saddle
I have one each side of the mast level with, but forward of, the gooseneck

steveeasy

Visit site
It looks like this, but this website is pretty crap & the size of this one is too big. But it shows the thing I mean
saddle
I have one each side of the mast level with, but forward of, the gooseneck
Thanks for that. That’s not such a bad idea that. I can see it will help draw the reefing eye towards the mast. Why do you have one each side? Are you two reefing lines either side of the mast? . It’s an easy option to help manage the lines towards the blocks and I can see it will help pull the reefing eye towards the mast.

Very good that.

Thanks
Steveeasy

Daydream believer

Visit site
Thanks for that. That’s not such a bad idea that. I can see it will help draw the reefing eye towards the mast. Why do you have one each side? Are you two reefing lines either side of the mast? . It’s an easy option to help manage the lines towards the blocks and I can see it will help pull the reefing eye towards the mast.

Very good that.

Thanks
Steveeasy
First reef is on the stbd tack. That is because the first tack is the one that one does the most, so one wants to be on the right of way tack. Second reef is the port side because the blocks in the luff pull down on that side past the first reef. The reef lines then go back to the cabin top on opposite sides so they do not interfere with each other.
- You are putting pullies in the luff one assumes. One does not pass the reef line through the luff cringle as that creates too much friction. You also run the risk of nipping & damaging the sail

steveeasy

Visit site
First reef is on the stbd tack. That is because the first tack is the one that one does the most, so one wants to be on the right of way tack. Second reef is the port side because the blocks in the luff pull down on that side past the first reef. The reef lines then go back to the cabin top on opposite sides so they do not interfere with each other.
- You are putting pullies in the luff one assumes. One does not pass the reef line through the luff cringle as that creates too much friction. You also run the risk of nipping & damaging the sail
Urm. Was going too when I was planning to do single line arrangement. Now I’m just doing 2 line I was not going to use them. However they clearly make reefing much easier so yes I might use them. I’ve not seen any yet, are they sewn on ?.
I may try single line later on when I’ve got a bit more time to pull the boom apart.

Steveeasy

Daydream believer

Visit site
Urm. Was going too when I was planning to do single line arrangement. Now I’m just doing 2 line I was not going to use them. However they clearly make reefing much easier so yes I might use them. I’ve not seen any yet, are they sewn on ?.
I may try single line later on when I’ve got a bit more time to pull the boom apart.

Steveeasy
No. You use spectacles. You would also benefit having pullies on the luff with 2 line reefing. Do you know how to set up spectacles?

steveeasy

Visit site
No. You use spectacles. You would also benefit having pullies on the luff with 2 line reefing. Do you know how to set up spectacles?

I hope so!!. Ive got spectacles on my Luff reefing points. I could put pullies on the luff and leech reefing eyes and yes I appreciate they will reduce friction greatly. Like I said not found any yet. Any ideas!!

Steveeasy

Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
DD

Steveeasy
Might be question of what these things are called. To me a saddle to others a pad eye. https://www.whitworths.com.au/ronstan-stainless-steel-narrow-saddle-5-16 ol'will

Daydream believer

Visit site
I hope so!!. Ive got spectacles on my Luff reefing points. I could put pullies on the luff and leech reefing eyes and yes I appreciate they will reduce friction greatly. Like I said not found any yet. Any ideas!!

Steveeasy
I do not have pullies on the leech because I thought that they may induce leech flutter due to the weight. More so on the second & third reef points. Of course pullies that are sewn in to the leech would be different to loose pullies. In this case the sail should be designed to overcome this possible problem.
When reefing, the leech will be shaking a bit & supported on the topping lift so the friction is less. as it shakes the line free. Also less line has to pass through it.

onesea

Visit site
One of these on the mast, just below where the halyard exits the mast (assuming it does well above deck level). You would have it offset from the line of run of the halyard. Slacken the halyard in the cockpit, go to the mast, hook the rams horn, take up the slack and put it in the cleat. Return to cockpit, re tension the halyard which will cause the rope to pop out of the cleat. View attachment 175078
Last boat had that problem, all lines lead to cockpit.
I put one of these at the mast:
Clamcleat CL234 Nylon Fender Cleat - 6-12mm Rope
I could pull sails up at mast hook this on go back and tension

Present boat has everything at the mast so much quicker & easier. With less friction fewer ropes in the cockpit what not to like?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Present boat has everything at the mast so much quicker & easier. With less friction fewer ropes in the cockpit what not to like?
What is not to like? Well the thought of getting thrown in the oggin whilst hoisting/dropping/reefing the sails. Apart from the effort of actually getting up to the mast in rough weather when one is nackered :( :cry:

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I have halyards led to the cockpit but reefing at the mast with spectacles onto rams horns. One day I will fit a camcleat at the base of the mast just above the turning block. I will be able to hook the spectacles onto the rams horn and pull enough tension into the halyard by hand to hold everything in place, catch the halyard in the camcleat and return to the cockpit. When I winch some tension on the halyard the geometry will pull the line out of the camcleat direct from the mast exit to the turning block. Apparently.

steveeasy

Visit site
Stood on the coachroof hanging on for life to the dam mast getting thrown about. all good fun. Then when your really up against it and should have reefed far too long ago, your truly in deep shit. Its fun if someone is at the other end but not when your on your own. Looking forward to being able to just drop the dam thing, and perhaps get some kind of reef in without leaving the cockpit..

Steveeasy

onesea

Visit site
What is not to like? Well the thought of getting thrown in the oggin whilst hoisting/dropping/reefing the sails. Apart from the effort of actually getting up to the mast in rough weather when one is nackered :( :cry:
We all sail differently, I am often single handed and have no issues going to the mast to put a reef in, I have done it fairly snotty weather.

Present boat 30’ the lack of friction means I can do it easily, only using a winch to to tighten the halyard. All set up so I can do it whilst kneeling.

Then i used to race and was often on the foredeck, changing headsails in less than clement weather. I often encourage new crew to go to the bow when it’s a bit snotty just to experience the feeling and get there balance, to show it’s nothing to be scared of.

The Camcleat I used on my last boat was so I could pull sails up at the mast, then go back to the cockpit pull the slack through and tension the halyards. Easy when there is 2 harder work when there is one.

skedaddle

Visit site
Try using a short piece of hose that is a firm push fit on the open ends of the Rams Horns. Loop it from one open end to the other. Either under the gooseneck or above. What ever side you want to put the reefing ring on, pull the hose off put the ring on the horn then push the hose back on. It will retain the ring and guide it back up onto the Rams Horn as you tension the halyard. Just leave the hose on permanently to retain the Tack of the Main.