Single handed channel crossing

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
So i'm single handing the P57 from Jersey to Poole via Cherbourg on Monday/Tuesday. I've done a few channel crossings, and a few single handed trips, but not a single handed channel crossing.

I'll probably take a few extra precautions, like being a bit more specific with my passage plan and letting SWMBO know when I should be calling and when to start panicking if I haven't, plus i'll keep a lifejacket on which i wouldn't normally do.

The forecast looks OK, so my only real concern is fog, which we seem to hit most times we cross the channel. I normally like to stick a pair of eyes and ears on the flybridge while I concentrate on the radar in v low viz

Would you do anything else different?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not sure you can do any different. I too have never done a chanel crossing alone. It's just not very sociable is it. Worrying times, would be going for a pee, or the odd jobs, that only two can do.

I'd just take it as carefully as you can. Maybe radio ahead for a bit of help mooring. No one seems to mind.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Not too bothered about the mooring bit, you can moor both sides of the visitor pontoons in Cherbourg so I can choose "wind on" side, and as you say just radio ahead in Poole.

duncan

Visit site
think you have it about right.

made 3 returns last year with me +1 single engine no company and the key to my (and others) comfort was management of expectations

the only thing I would have changed alone was an epirb

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Done quite a few single handed passages on our cruiser (150nm+). I usually keep a grab bag by my side at the helm, a PLB straped to my waist, and the life raft at the ready. Great comfort comes from well maintained and reliable engines, and of course rope cutters on both shafts. Visits to the head planned when eyes and radar confirm there is plenty of water space. If rough water, I always stop the boat when going to the head in case I bang my own and get knocked out. Personally I find long solo passages very relaxing. Good food, something to read and good music - bliss!

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Had her about a month. The channel crossing is to meet the ship in Southampton to take her to Toulon, then we're planning to berth in SoF so long as we can find a berth.

Just waiting to get a decent photo to change the avatar, so far its pi**ed it down every time we've been on her.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
could try a library piccie from Princess site, shamed to say my Avatar is not my boat but a library pic.Theres plenty of piccies of her on my web site so ka sera.

If the hulls anything like mine you wont be disappointed, and mines a 93