Simrad cruise chart plotter and AIS?

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Looking for a standalone chart plotter but would really like to have AIS overlayed. Saw the new Simrad cruise chart plotter which is very reasonable even for the 9inch. No networking on the plotter indicated but are you able to hardwire the AIS into it?

prv

Visit site
The installation manual only shows connections to power and a fishfinder transducer, and the specifications just say "no" in the boxes for NMEA0183 sentences and NMEA2000 PGNs. So I would say no, you can't connect an AIS to it.

This will be a deliberate part of Simrad's market-segmentation plan.

Pete

woodstock

Visit site
According to a dealer I spoke to at th boat show, you can connect a compatible simrad VHF/AIS to it and receive AIS targets - but worth calling Simrad to confirm

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Thanks. I definitely want to get AIS onto a chart plotter and not concerned about networking my B&G network system into it. I'll look at B&G Vulcan or a Garmin although I probably won't use a lot of the facilities they offer. The Simrad looked interesting especially as it came with a transducer too and simple too.
Again many thanks.

StevieH

Visit site
I have just purchased one of the new Raymarine Element plotters. I wanted a plotter that has good basic functionality and connectivity without all the bells and whistles and this ticks all the boxes. Also a good price, especially for the 9" one. Plus there are 2 models, the S aimed at sail boats and the HV aimed at MoBo/fishers