Simpson Lawrence SL400 Toilet - Any good?

conks01

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone know much about the SL400 toilet? I have one on my Westerly Pageant but it looks a little tired.

I am unable to test the toilet as the boat is in the compound still being refurbished by me.

Parts are still available on the internet albeit look expensive and I'm thinking that if I have to replace parts (?) given the cost of these it may be a waste and I'm better off buying a Jabsco perhaps as these are currently £119 in Force 4 for the smaller version.

Could I test the toilet somehow and/or test the parts? Does anyone have experience of these and know what to look for i.e - what is prone to failure.

Pictures below. Many thanks.

20181003_154312.jpg

20181003_154318.jpg

Attachments

• 20181003_154312.jpg
    20181003_154312.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20181003_154318.jpg
    20181003_154318.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 2

pvb

Visit site
You could test it ashore by putting the intake pipe into a bucket of water, this will allow you to test the flushing and pump-out operation. But, as you say, the spares prices are high and it's almost bound to need something soon, so it might be better just to fit a shiny new Jabsco now. If you do this, fit new pipes too.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I had one on my Jouster. They work pretty well, and the diaphragm pump, operated from the seawater side, avoids the problems of leakage past the piston which you get with RM69-type toilets when they get a little worn. The downside with the SL400 is that the flush/no-flush mechanism is a little complicated. Basically, moving the handle to the side results in a plastic peg holding open the outlet (iirc) valve for the flushing water. It's not a very big movement and any slack in the system, from even moderate wear, makes it unreliable.

If it works, though, I'd keep it until it doesn't. The great advantage is that you get a proper sized toilet seat, which is much more comfy that standard marine toilets.

pvb

Visit site
If it works, though, I'd keep it until it doesn't. The great advantage is that you get a proper sized toilet seat, which is much more comfy that standard marine toilets.

You can get a large bowl version of the Jabsco, and the OP would no doubt have room to fit it.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Don't bother - they are C***. Had one on a Vivacity years ago, as said spares are expensive(if you can still get them). Get a Jabsco, at least you can get spares and if looked after are fine. Or get a Lavac which are better but expensive!

johnalison

Visit site
I had one on our Mystere for 14 years. I liked it a lot and our small children found it easy to operate. there didn't seem much to go wrong and it was easy to service. If you can get it working, fine, otherwise it's over to Jabsco.

andsarkit

Visit site
I like mine and it has worked well for several decades. You can test the pump out by putting a bucket of water in the bowl and operating the lever. As said above if you can put the inlet pipe in some water and pump while holding the lever to the left it should flush and pump out at the same time.
As with all marine toilets it will only pass human waste and loo paper. Anything else will block it.
There is a small wire spring hoop that holds the inlet valve shut and this has been known to corrode. As long as there is not excessive play in the lever mechanism or the square shaft that operates the rocking lever it should work fine.
Instructions and diagrams are here: http://slspares.co.uk/instruction-manuals-pdf.php (scroll down to SL400-401)

conks01

Visit site
I like mine and it has worked well for several decades. You can test the pump out by putting a bucket of water in the bowl and operating the lever. As said above if you can put the inlet pipe in some water and pump while holding the lever to the left it should flush and pump out at the same time.
As with all marine toilets it will only pass human waste and loo paper. Anything else will block it.
There is a small wire spring hoop that holds the inlet valve shut and this has been known to corrode. As long as there is not excessive play in the lever mechanism or the square shaft that operates the rocking lever it should work fine.
Instructions and diagrams are here: http://slspares.co.uk/instruction-manuals-pdf.php (scroll down to SL400-401)

Many thanks.

Alpha22

Visit site
The occasional challenger of replacing an SL400 with a Jabsco is the SL400 is quite a low profile toilet and in some installations replacing with a Jabsco is a problem. If the SL400 is mounted on a "shelf", the replacement Jabsco will be too high for comfort.

tillergirl

Visit site
I replaced my SL400 in 1992 - with a Lavac. It fitted perfectly. The Lavac is infinitely better than the Jabsco (I have one Lavac and two - oh regrets - Jabscos). The Lavac has done service since 1992 without any service. It is no mistake that Jabsco toilet service kits are available!

wooslehunter

Visit site
Have one fitted in a Centuar. It’s mounted an a shelf for & I did look at replacing when I bought the boat 15yrs ago. It wasn’t working well.

But I opted to service it & found a part broken in the pump. The most difficult job was getting it out; the bolts were poor quality & had rusted.

It now has a small leak around the operating spindle when pumped so guess it’s time for another service. Not sure what it will cost to strip & service but if it needs that every 10-15 yrs, I’d say it’s a good deal.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I would agree with all of the comments regarding the Lavac. I've previously had Jabsco toilets, but my current boat came with a Lavac, it's vastly superior to a Jabsco. Simple to use, little to go wrong and super reliable. It's a "proper" size too :encouragement: Shop around and they are not terribly expensive.

I's also second the suggestion to fit new pipes if you do change it.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You can get a large bowl version of the Jabsco, and the OP would no doubt have room to fit it.

Indeed, which is why I wrote "than standard marine toilets". Another advantage of the SL is that it is rather lower, which has, erm, physiological advantages for crimping one out.

Bandit

Visit site
I had an SL 400 toilet many years ago, when it worked it was great, when it didn't which was quite frequently it was a pain.

Following a two week holiday on the boat when I stripped it down on the pontoon twice and fitted another service kit.

I took the decision skipped it and fitted a Jabsco manual large bowl ( room for your tackle).

You know where you are with a Jabsco and a bit of cooking oil to stop the squeeks.

conks01

Visit site
I think reading between the lines that the best option would be to replace with a Lavac. These are going for around £200 so probably a good investment. There is a shelf that the current SL sits upon (see pic at start of this thread) so a Jabsco may also work but friends down the club advise to go with a Lavac also so this is the best way I feel. Not sure how this would work with the current set up however but I guess that's the fun part!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I think reading between the lines that the best option would be to replace with a Lavac. These are going for around £200 so probably a good investment. There is a shelf that the current SL sits upon (see pic at start of this thread) so a Jabsco may also work but friends down the club advise to go with a Lavac also so this is the best way I feel. Not sure how this would work with the current set up however but I guess that's the fun part!

If it helps, my Lavac sits on a 120mm raised section and is a perfect height.