Simpson Larence anchor windlass

seran1926

Visit site
Hi, can anyone help identify the age / model of this SL manual anchor windlass?

Any recommendations as to who to approach to help rebuild / restore it its former glory?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0

Bajansailor

Visit site
That windlass is a beauty - are you planning on putting it back to work on your (or another) boat?
It appears to be inherently very simple - do the bits still rotate or is it all seized up?
Have you still got the cranking handle for it?
I sailed on a yacht once in the early 70's that had a windlass which was very similar, and even then it was obviously very old.

Tranona

Visit site
Doubt you will find anybody who knows anything about it or has spares. It probably dates from the 1920's and will be constructed in such a way that provided the cast parts are sound everything could be made with basic workshop tools. Take it apart, clean it, grease it and it will probably work.

SHUG

Visit site
That doesn't look complicated enough to be broken! Tranona is right.

I agree .I had one which was siezed up from lack of use. Simple to dismantle , re-grease , lick of paint and its ready to go.
PS. It has a 8mm gypsy and I would really like a 10mm one. I know that it wouldnt have been designed for metric chain but 8mm fits perfectly

jellyellie

www.jellyellie.com
I've got an old S&L hardback bound catalogue from the 1950s, I found it at a boat jumble and was amazed as it had my windlass in it which is similar to yours and I also couldn't find any info about it. I'm away sailing at the moment but will have a look in it when I get back and forward any relevant info.

old_salt

Visit site
I have a similar one and as said strip it down and you will find most if not all bearings, shafts will be easy to have made and replace if needs be.
A good wire brush up and a couple of coats of paint or if you really want to get the parts galvanised and the jobs a good un for another 100 years.

seran1926

Visit site
Simpson Lawrence anchor windlass

Hi thanks very much for comments and feedback. Quick update. For the last month a three legged puller has been attached to the gypsy have applied plenty of penetrating oil. No movement yet, hoping that it will suddenly come loose. Have used a wire brush to remove the paint from the locking pins that go through the gypsy wheels into the shaft but these remain stuck solid. Plan B's include:

- heat shaft with oxy acetylene torch
- attach hydraulic puller but risk breaking cast iron parts
- weld a piece of metal to the end of the pin to get extra leverage, sacrifice the pin and fabricate a new one

Attached photos of: end of pin having removed paint with wire brush, advert from Yachtsman & Motor Boating early 1928 showing v similar model (interestingly the band brake was an upgrade) and useful exploded diagram of a slightly later model published with an interesting article by Classic Boat.

Will update once hopefully some progress to report....

IMG_3244.jpgphoto.jpgNereis-winch1.jpg

Visit site
I have 1 very similar
like you could not get the keys out and had the same idea of weld another piece of steel to key to get a better purchase.
Cooled with water straight after welding and the key came away with not to much pressure.
Heated centre of gypsy then using an old brass stern tube bearing several sharp blows as if knocking the gypsy on cracked the grip and the puller did the rest.
That makes it sound easier than it was but perseverance won out. Capstan end was similar but took more fiddling making adapter for puller because of size. new bushes and a worn shaft were soon made be local machine shop and all now painted and refitted.
PS tried to attach pictures but I must be doing some thing wrong