Show us your favourite pic of your own boat?

MapisM

Visit site
Wow, SD gives a proper small ship feeling indeed, congrats.
And she seems to have a very committed tender captain, too! :)

Firefly625

Visit site
Thank you Firefly a few more random shots over last year or so

Thanks for posting more pics,

Nice action shot... on the basis when ever I have taken shots when it looks rough ....generally the photo never looks as good... so this looks like it has blown up a bit!
View attachment 39507

and secondly....I can imagine jfm looking at this picture and shaking his head..... not a scatter cushion in site...View attachment 39504

silverdee

Visit site
Cheers Firefly625,
not as much call for soft upholstery on bow in British Isles. And yes photos of waves have always shrunk when you look at `em again- that one was heading up coast of N Ireland to Bangor in October just gone ,on way to Troon for her new engines --the brushes in the stabiliser gyro motor had worn out and stbd engine had chewed its impellor so we were limping (again).

jfm

Visit site
...the brushes in the stabiliser gyro motor ...
It's quite educational to see a motorised gyro in a stabiliser control unit. Obviously everything is solid state now so there is nothing to see anymore.

The control box on SilverDee's dashboard is a metal box about 2x the size of a shoe box. Inside there is a gimballed motor spinning fast. As the boat rolls left/right, the gyro motor unit precesses forwards and backwards on its gimbals. As it does this it physically winds a couple of potentiometers. These potentiometers go to a circuit board which sends a signal to the solenoid operated hydraulic valves that turn the fins left/right

The variability in control and sensitivity comes from 3 settings for rpm of the motor, and some simple circuitry that adjusts the potentiometer position that trips the solenoid valves to open on the fin actuators. Also there is a potentiometer on the top of each fin shaft, and that sends an analogue voltage signal indicating the fin's angular position, and the control circuitry processes that somehow.

It's nice stuff really, all made by Vosper, though eventually will have to be replaced by solid state gear

vas

Visit site
It's quite educational to see a motorised gyro in a stabiliser control unit. Obviously everything is solid state now so there is nothing to see anymore.

The control box on SilverDee's dashboard is a metal box about 2x the size of a shoe box. Inside there is a gimballed motor spinning fast. As the boat rolls left/right, the gyro motor unit precesses forwards and backwards on its gimbals. As it does this it physically winds a couple of potentiometers. These potentiometers go to a circuit board which sends a signal to the solenoid operated hydraulic valves that turn the fins left/right

The variability in control and sensitivity comes from 3 settings for rpm of the motor, and some simple circuitry that adjusts the potentiometer position that trips the solenoid valves to open on the fin actuators. Also there is a potentiometer on the top of each fin shaft, and that sends an analogue voltage signal indicating the fin's angular position, and the control circuitry processes that somehow.

It's nice stuff really, all made by Vosper, though eventually will have to be replaced by solid state gear

So next project is to get a 50quid android phone and with a microusb wire it's output to an arduino board (15quid, or be posh and buy a BT arduino for 50quid) which is then going to drive the stabs? Am I right?
:p
Or get yourself a decent 3DOF Intersense tracker and wire it up to a rasberry pi and be done with for good (maybe too expensive at 200+20!)
tbh not far off in terms of what can be achieved with all these sensors!

And now seriously, what/how will this system be updated then J&J?

V.

RogerRat

Visit site
The new 'HOUSTON'

Not the acquisition thread I promised (but it will follow soon) but this is one of the first pictures I took last weekend. Still things to sort but she should be all together by the next month..:cool:

Azi Houston.jpg

Shame about the hotch potch of fenders but they'll be gone next week! :eek:

View attachment 39903

rafiki_

Visit site
The new 'HOUSTON'

Not the acquisition thread I promised (but it will follow soon) but this is one of the first pictures I took last weekend. Still things to sort but she should be all together by the next month..:cool:

View attachment 39902

Shame about the hotch potch of fenders but they'll be gone next week! :eek:

View attachment 39903

Roger, stunning boat. Welcome to the Snazi club, a very worthy addition! Looking fwd to some more pics.

adey

Visit site
Lovely looking boat that AZ46.
Not got many of mine and needing a polish but here goes...

photo1_zps4ee32113.jpg

crazy4557

Visit site
Roger, very very nice. Just a bit different to helm than the T40? Slow and assured in comparison. Great internal design and layout and a lovely boat. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself:encouragement:
Looking forward to seeing her around the Solent this coming season.

RogerRat

Visit site
Roger, very very nice. Just a bit different to helm than the T40? Slow and assured in comparison. Great internal design and layout and a lovely boat. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself:encouragement:
Looking forward to seeing her around the Solent this coming season.

Hi Andy,
Yes, she is far more stayed, but I've had 6 years with the T40 andwhat a great boat she is. Does everything it says on the tin as they say and that one is a goody.:cool:

Still, I'm sure the saily boats will feel a little safer this year as I won't be splitting the fleet at 30 knots off Cowes in the Azi. Straight lines only! :eek: