Show me the way to “le Continent” – the saga continues

G

Some of you may remember my epic first sea trip last year from Gt. Yarmouth round to Kings Lynn where another BB contributor, Matts, helped me over that first psychological hurdle of actually using my boat at sea. For those who missed it, I won’t bore you with the details, but suffice to say it certainly whetted my appetite for proper boating as against our normal river boating on the Gt. Ouse.

Last December I bought a set of s\hand duoprops from another BB contributor, Dave Steward ("advertised" here on the board)and he planted the seed of an idea in my mind to join one of the MBM Cruise in Company trips. We’re due to depart Ramsgate on 28\29 July for their Zeeland cruise and last week I had our little Fairline Mirage trucked from Huntingdon down to Dover and this weekend we planned to pop over to Calais for a shakedown cruise in company with Dave in his Turbo 36.

You know how sometimes things go according to plan and sometimes…?

Well, this was the one time that it all worked brilliant. Out of Granville dock at 05:00 Saturday morning watching the sun rise, tried to beat a ferry coming out of the Eastern exit, but changed my mind and slipped round behind him, and then just followed the GPS track for CA10, turning right a bit when we got to the TSS. Dave was about a mile or so ahead making 21ish knots, we were bumbling along at 17 till I realised you can actually open the throttles to their stops (they’ve never been that far open before) and crept up to 23. Only problem was the 23 was mph, ‘cos I’d been using the GPS in the car and forgot to reset it. We had winds of 3 I guess all the way across and a nice gentle swell that gave the odd bit of spray onto the screen to make us feel like real boaters, but nothing dramatic. Straight across no trouble into Calais 15mins before their last lock of the morning, tied up at the visitors jetty at just about half eight French time, to be greeted by Sarah, Dave’s wife with a congratulatory bottle of bubbly. Perfect for breakfast.

Coming back Sunday evening was just as good. NW 4 in Calais but as soon as we got a mile or so offshore quietened down nicely and routed to the north of the Goodwins straight into Ramsgate. Only one minor glitch in that we hit a chunk of wood about a mile east of the Goodwin light. Quite a loud bang but checked around and didn’t see any water in the boat so just carried on. A little vibration and our speed dropped down to 18knots, but nothing traumatic and went straight into Ramsgate Marina. Port props (duoprops) are bit bent but nothing that Steel Developments can’t fix and I’ve got four spare sets so that’ll be OK.

So what’s the point of this posting?

Firstly to show off a bit. We’ve “gorn forern” sort of on our own and there’s nothing to it, is there?

Does everybody get this feeling of elation on their first X Channel? For us this really is a major achievement. With the exception of the trip to Kings Lynn last year (which my wife didn’t come on), and an excellent 4 day weekend with Matt and his family on their Targa 48 in Nice in June, this is our first time on the sea in anything smaller than a Sealink ferry. I think Saturday night was the first time she’d slept since about February worrying about this and you should have heard her telling stories to other boaters on Saturday night, you’d have thought she’d crossed the Atlantic single handed.

So it’s a big thank you to Dave and Sarah for their encouragement and help. We had a good weekend in Calais, Bastille Day celebrations for the French so an excellent fireworks display on Saturday evening and a perfectly lazy day on Sunday.

Also thanks IPC. Why IPC? Well in reality it’s only through this BB that this whole thing was possible. I met both Matt and Dave through various postings here and I reckon without the encouragement of them and others on this board (but not Haydn, he’s enough to put anyone off boating for life), I’d still be ditch crawling in Cambridgeshire thinking, if only…..

And fourthly to encourage anyone else who feels the urge to have a go. Oh and now of course “she says” we’re looking for a bigger boat. Any recommendations around the £50-60K mark?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by colin_maslen on Tue Jul 17 21:08:27 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Well done Colin - your enthusiasm is inspirational!

One thing worries me from your account of the trip.You say that with the throttles on the stops, you crept up to 23 mph and that's with duo-props.

I have a Mirage of 1982 vintage, with the original AQ145A's driving through 280 single prop legs and although I would never cruise at full throttle, can get 25 knots laden & 30 knots with quarter fuel & two people, without unloading cruising equipment.

I wouldn't leave the taps open because I would expect the engines to get a bit warm but throttling back to 4400 RPM should give approx 20 knots cruise and 4200 RPM a more fuel efficient 17-18 knots at around 2 mpg. These figures are corroborated by GPS.

What engines does your boat use? Are your props the correct pitch? My Mirage is only 20 miles from Ramsgate - do you want to come for a short trip on mine as a comparison, while you are based nearby?

Cheers,

Steve

david_bagshaw

Visit site
You asked ..Does everybody get this feeling of elation on their first X Channel?

YES YES YES.

Can still clearly remember entering Honfleur in1970, I dont think the feeling will ever leave you,( I was 13) for every time you go again it reinforces the last time.

Happy cruising.

David ps Take a look at my site www.yachtman.co.uk, as there are waypoints for the Schelde and various other dutch bits<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david_bagshaw on Wed Jul 18 06:49:06 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

david_steward

Visit site
Re: A different view.

It was indeed my bright idea that Colin join one of the MBM Cruises in company, little did I know what I was letting myself in for!

When Colin suggested a gentle trial cruise to gain some confidence I immediately suggested Calais, its about the easiest port to get to from Ramsgate/Dover and doesn't involve any tricky pilotage or lots of sandbanks. I also remembered our first cross channel jolly and knew it would give them a real confidence boost.

However, Colin's voice seemed to rise a couple of octaves on the phone when I mentioned my plans! I wonder if Colin's wife Chris was the only one not sleeping?

With the lively weather in the Channel last week Colin seemed surprised that the trip was still on, but I had been watching the weather closely and saw that Sat/Sun would be ok, with perhaps some residual swell. I casually mentioned that we would be leaving at 5am. Not for the first time Chris looked like a lady hoping for some divine intervention. Its the tides I explained, also I expected the winds to be very light at that ungodly hour. And for me, setting off somewhere foreign as the sun rises is one of the reasons I got into boating. The swell would also be with the tide.

We had a nice big curry delivered to the boat, a few drinks and then early to bed around midnight. Then it was my turn to lie awake thinking ' I hope they are ok tomorrow, its all my fault, its a little boat'. The alarm went off, the winds were calm and off we went. Now it is always rough at Dover west entrance we said. So it was, but not too bad. Soon after it eased to a gentle swell.

We kept a carefull eye on Aquaholic to our stern. My wife wondered why Colin appeared to be playing chicken with a ferry! It is as fast as you, I radioed. Then they seemed to be trying to cut up two ships in the TSS. It must have been the angle we were looking from was the reply.

Soon Calais arrived and the relief was obvious, both Colin and Chris looked a foot taller.

A very pleasant two days followed including buying lots of contraband at Eurocity, fireworks, music, and the best liquer coffees to be found on the planet. Mostly warm alcohol with a small measure of coffee on the top!

Saturday afternoon the gates opened again and 25 boats entered including the largest motor yacht I have ever seen at sea. Four decks, 130' at least, and no idea where he was going to tie up! I have never seen anything larger the about 40' in Calais before. Eventually he moored to the far wall. He then launched his Leopard 23 that he used as a tender.

We also got talking to some other motor boats that had crossed later in the day, we were surprised to hear stories of rough seas, swell, spray etc. Glad we left at 5 am I thought.

Sunday was sunny and warm all day, we left Calais late afternoon and set course for Ramsgate. Halfway across Colin realised that he had left his fenders out! What is it about these river people?

We were soon moored safely in Ramsgate. Sadly Colin had bent those props I had sold him last year, which is where I came in.

It was a great trip, Colin and Chris did marvelously well in their little tub, appetites well and truly whetted for some more.

Thats enough from me.

Dave S

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Show me the way–Or One Wheel On my Wagon And--

So Colin yer now a proper Captain!!

Cant forget the firt time we left Wales behind and set off for Wicklow Ireland. 65 miles. Its a strange feeling when the land disapears and your there on your own with nothing to see but sea.

Its about then that you start wondering whether you got the pen and paper bits right and.

"Are we sure that waypoint is just outside Wicklow and not in the North Atlantic some place"!!

And I'm sure that port engine sound a bit rough.

Eventual you see the land comming up in the distance and the mood changes.

"There you are. Told you it was easy".

Then you sort of swagger into the harbour yacht club feeling about ten feet tall.

Course this all changes about the night before the return voyage when the sea just seems to be getting a bit rougher and the boats going a foot smaller every hour!!.

On entering you home port yer back on the Ark Royal again and really all the other boats about have just come out to admire you!!

Course thats apart from the dick head in the rag boat who dosent have the sence to realise that your doing a royal fly pass!!

It gets better with every trip but the feelings alway there.

Course then theres the other times when the gearbox or the turbo go's or the coast guards come on the radio about mid crossing and alters the forcast F3-4 to 6 or 7. Then the fog comes down!!
But thats another story!!

Haydn

G

Well done...nice to read something interesting and positive for a change.

We,re hoping to get across to Cherbourg/channel isles in the next month or so and thats our first crossing.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Well done Colin, I have yet to cross the channel. I am still cruising/exploring our own coastline at the moment. My only concern crossing the channel, I think my boat is not big enough (Sealine S24 - 25ft), I often think of doing it when I upgrade to something around the 30ft mark.

Anyway excellent read from you and David, it only encourages people like me.

RM.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Hi,

I am based at Southampton, thanks for the offer. I don't think I will have time this year or at least October, I centainly would be interested next year. The reason for this year, I am getting married next month and will be in Australia until late September.

What sort of boat do you own and Mr Max, I guess you have no real problems taking a 25ft boat across the channel.

RM.

G

I'm wondering if I should feel deprived because I am not based on the South coast and therefore have not crossed the channel (other than in a ferry). I can share your feelings of achievement though. For me my first "foreign" trip was going from KIP on the Clyde across the Irish sea to Bangor in Northern Ireland - about 90 miles. There is a real sense of satisfaction when you arrive.

Incidentally, my first "real" boat was a Fairline Mirage. She had twin 125hp volvos which was a bit underpowered. Top speed was about 22knts and she could struggle to get onto the plane if well loaded. As I remember she was a decent sea boat but inclined to slam a lot.

My first truly foreign experience was when I chartered a boat in what was Yugoslavia, now Croatia. I had researched the area where we were cruising before travelling, including getting from the marina to our first port of call. The boat (a Nidelv 28 which was a centre cockpit, aft cabin boat with a single 200hp diesel on a shaft) was based in Split but I did not realise there was more than one marina. I had a bit of fun getting my single engine boat out as she going astern she would only go in circles to port, irrrespective of rudder so the art of gentle bursts of ahead to line her up had to be quickly learned.

Split is largely on a promentory with a large lagoon on one side and the Adriatic on the other. I expected the marina to be on the lagoon side but it was not. I had my headings pre-planned but when we eventually got out of the marina after some embarrassing circling, and I set course for Trogir, my next port of call, the land was on the wrong side! This was a bit confusing and disconcerting - is there anything worse than the land not being where you expect it to be? Anyway, the boss suggested that we might confirm our course by asking people on a yacht about 1/2 mile away. These turned out to be really nice Germans, a man, his wife and two teenage daughters who were quite understanding and gave us lengthy instructions on where I had gone wrong. The only thing was, they were all stark naked and when one is trying to have an earnest conversation with someone it is singularly off-putting when they are displaying all their bits. It is especially difficult talking to dad pretending not to notice his daughters!

Anyway all was well eventually and we went on to have a terrific holiday. As a cruising ground the Dalmatian coast of the Adriatic is second only the the West of Scotland

Nick

G

Thanks for your reply Stevef. We've got AQAD31's (diesels) I guess yours are petrol if you're running at over 4,000 rpm? Max revs is 3,500 but in reality (don't tell Dave 'cos he wanted me to run as fast as poss), I dropped back to 3,200/3,300. Re the comparison trip, good idea but we've only got this Saturday a.m. on the boat and I've got to change the props, get them to Steel Developments for refurb ready for the Holland trip the following weekend etc etc, so a bit of a non starter till we get back and as I said in the post, "she's" looking through all the mags now for something bigger, though I keep telling her size isn't important.

G

Re: Thanks all for your comments.

I was expecting a load of p**s taking and very pleasantly surprised. I feel quite contrite now at some of the flippant replies I've made in the past. I might even be nice to Haydn in future. Then again p'raps that's going too far.

Maybe I'll bore you all again with our exploits to Holland when we get back.

dave made an interesting point. Re a different perspective. I guess it's just like politics. Both parties agree on a problem and both have a totally different spin on it. Maybe there's a future for Dave and me in the Monster Raving Looney Party.

Thanks all.
Colin

G

Our Mirage struggles a bit too. I'm not sure which engines we've got either the AQAD30's or 31's. I've now found out how to check 'cos externally they're the same but the 30's are (I think) 115hp and the 31's 135 or 150. We had full water and fuel and quite a bit of kit on board at the weekend and she does struggle. Toyed with upgrading the turbo's but thinking of upgrading the boat if all goes to plan.

Now if you're feeling deprived at never having "gorn forern" and want someone to show you what it's all about, I'm not too proud to teach a jock what's what!!! Only thing is you have to bring the amber nectar. OK?

Yes I know there's now no chance, Haydn says when it comes to buying drinks you're tighter than a mouse's ar*****le.

duncan

Visit site
Mr Max is a Cruisers Yachts 2850 - like yours but scaled up, mine is a Faeton 780 - more sports fishing style (but easier to clean!). Both run single diesels on BIII drives - fast cruise 28tks 'ish. S24 would match up nicely.
Please get in touch when you return from your travels!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Congratulations Colin. Losing your Channel virginity is just like the other type of virginity; once you've done it you wonder what all the fuss was about!
We've done a few MBM cruises and they're great fun especially the Holland trips; once you're there the weather is'nt a a major factor and you can relax. The MBM guys are really helpful and seem to have a solution to every problem. Enjoy yourselves

Scubadoo

Visit site
Thanks, I'll be in touch, perhaps we could meet in Cowes at some point and discuss (again I'll let you know when).

It's good you both have diesels, mine is a diesel. Your fast cruising speed is pretty much my maximum. My cruising speed is generally 20-22knots.

In mean time I may see you around the Solent-Stubland bay area.

RM.

G

What's a mouse's article got to do with it?

I had loads of fun with my Mirage but she had outdrives which grew to hate and she would slam in a force one. I think there is a distinct lack of boats that size now. She had good accomodation for what was then my young family.

If you want to change her, I've got a nice Birchwood for sale! Oops! Ignore that last comment as I don't want to be banned from the forum like Haydn nearly was!

Nick

duncan

Visit site
Call us up - Mr Max or Phaeton.
I will be in the Poole - Weymouth area from 26th until August 12 - Cowes fireworks on the 10th may draw me to the solent.
Ian is around weekends - not sure about when he may be down longer.
What's your boat Name?
regards