Should I use 2 mooring chains ?

Boo2

Visit site
Hi,

Spent part of the other day setting the mooring chain onto the buoy at Langstone. I wanted to go up there to make sure everything was OK for mooring to when I go down to Langstone for the first time in a few days time.

I've since been thinking that people who use rope for mooring lines often set two and wondered whether is it sensible to use two chains, similarly ? Setup is a riser to the buoy which has a swivel at the top where the ring is. I've currently tied a pickup buoy to a length of 8mm rope to the free end of the chain and the other end shackled to the swivel.

Would bad things happen if there were two chains independently shackled to the swivel ? Or does everyone do it ?

Thanks,

Boo2

rob2

Visit site
I think most people use a single chain strop, but some also have a rope often as primary so that the boat will fall back onto the chain should the rope chafe through. There shouldn't be a problem using two chains, particularly if you're bringing them through the faiurleads either side of the bow and crossing to foredeck cleats so the load is aken on each as th boat sheers about. I've never heard of a single chain pennant failing except should the shcackle pin coirrode, so most are happy with one and a regular inspection of the gear. When using a single chain, I prefer to bring it over the bow roller.

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

Spent part of the other day setting the mooring chain onto the buoy at Langstone. I wanted to go up there to make sure everything was OK for mooring to when I go down to Langstone for the first time in a few days time.

I've since been thinking that people who use rope for mooring lines often set two and wondered whether is it sensible to use two chains, similarly ? Setup is a riser to the buoy which has a swivel at the top where the ring is. I've currently tied a pickup buoy to a length of 8mm rope to the free end of the chain and the other end shackled to the swivel.

Would bad things happen if there were two chains independently shackled to the swivel ? Or does everyone do it ?

Thanks,

Boo2

My mooring consists of a concrete sinker with a length of very heavy ( 12 ft by 1 inch IIRC) cast in. Then a 3/8" riser with a loop formed in the end. There is no buoy other than a pick up buoy on a long rope. There is no swivel either.

This is on boatyard owned mooring and conforms to a Chichester C3 category ie suitable for boats to 9m. I've been using the same boatyard moorings for over 35 years without incident.

Some guidance on laying and using moorings on the chichester harbour website which might be of interest:

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/assets/assets/guide to layings a drying mooring 2013.pdf

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/assets/assets/mooring leaflet_2011.pdf

William_H

Visit site
I have 2 mooring strops of rope on the top of my buoy which ncorporates a swivel. I do find that the ropes tend to twist together apparently the swivwl has some friction. I don't think it matters much as the swivel will turn eventually.
Yes I would advocate that you eithyer add a second chain or another rope strop preferaablyto another cleat r attachment. Another rope could take the primary load so reducing chain wear and noise. good luck olewill

Tam Lin

Visit site
When setting up my mooring for this year I had a good look at the arrangements that people use at my club. There seems to be all sorts of combinations of chain and rope and they all seem to work. The advice from the man who knows is to use two mooring strops. In the end you have to make a decision on what you feel comfortable with.

Seajet

Visit site
I have had a mooring near there since 1978; I much prefer a single strong chain.

I've observed ' Plan B ' backup chains & ropes tangle and winch the mooring tight like a Spanish windlass, and single rope strops chafe through quite quickly, a friend had his boat written off that way.

I am scrupulous about changing the topchain every couple of years, and inspecting the rest of the chain down to the sinker every winter - before Christmas is definitely warmer !

Another advantage with chain is that one can padlock the boat to the mooring; it's rare but not unheard of for yobs to cast boats adrift out of sheer spite.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
To some extent it depends upon the tidal conditions at the mooring, although in general I agree with Seajet that a single connection, whether rope or chain, is likely to give fewer problems. For example, on the Menai Strait where I moored for many years the tide reverses strongly four times per day and it is common for boats to rotate each time. Twin pickup chains or ropes would inevitably twist together in these circumstances. In other places this may not be the typical pattern. On the Strait all boats used a single 1/2 inch galvanised pickup chain, replaced every two years. I never had a problem with it and know nobody else who did.

simonfraser

Visit site
the second strop / chain gives peace of mind, but i dont think it does any good
if the first attachment is not up to the job it should be redone, then why do you need a second ?
my strops have over the years never shown the slightest appearance of failure, dud plastic hose once

sailorman

Visit site
Hi,

Thanks,

Boo2

copy what the locals do, they have the experence gained over time

langstonelayabout

Visit site
<snip> and single rope strops chafe through quite quickly, a friend had his boat written off that way.

Wise words based upon experience. Don't trust a single rope strop, even over just one night...

My last boat that lived at Langstone on a C3 mooring sat firmly attached to the mooring buoy chain (the chain ran through the centre of the buoy) via an oversized swivel which had both chain and rope going to the foredeck cleats. If you are concerned about the potential for the chain to abrade your gelcoat, run it through some plastic hose but make sure it won't jump out of your boat's fairlead on a bumpy day.

afterpegassus

Visit site
"............. and single rope strops chafe through quite quickly, a friend had his boat written off that way."

"Wise words based upon experience. Don't trust a single rope strop, even over just one night..."

Nonesense.
If you can't control chafe, then it doesn't matter how many strops you have, they will wear through.
I have always used a single on a mooring with a lot of swirling tide running through, albeit a hefty piece of 1 1/2" octo with two eyes formed into the last meter for load sharing on the cleats.
Make sure your wear points are well masked and use the heaviest rope you can lay hands on.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Interestingly, although all the moorings on Menai Strait had chain pickups, the mooring of the moorings contractor had rope! His boat was used daily for fishing trips and tourist rides and he found rope far more convenient. No chafe at all with a proper fairlead.