Should I buy a bigger boat?

RayB

Visit site
Need your help guys!

Looking to get a bigger boat to go on longer trips, 2 weeks at a time to The CI and Brittany etc.

Limited on budget to about low six fgures. Fancy going for shafts rather than legs, need 22-25 knots cruising and need relatively modern styling/ comfort.

Will use between March and December so a Flybridge seems sensible?

Given the above a Sealine 360 Ambassedeur, vintage 1991-1996, seems fave at the mo. Looked also at Princess and Phantom 37, which looked dated in comparison?

Questions are:

1. I hear horror stories about Sealines, are they (this model) ok?
2. The above all seem to come with KAD 32's, which I hear horror stories about(early models??) are they OK?
3. Would you recommend another boat/engine in the 35-40 foot class given my intended use?
4. Currently have Fairline Targa 29

Cheers

"Hopefully that won't be too expensive to fix?"

halcyon

Visit site
Ambassedeur is a sports bridge, statesman is the flybridge version.
If you buy one and need help on the charging or switchgear drop me a PM.

Brian

RayB

Visit site
All that I have looked at seem to have the 42's, the 43's seem to come on around 1997/8? On this size of boat it will be out of my price range to have the later 43's.
R

stewart

Visit site
YES

For once the American adage "big is best" actually seems correct. I know it's not a flybridge, but I bought a Sunseeker Camargue 46 for around your budget which is a great sea boat and worth a look if you're not completely set on flybridge. I think Grange in Poole had one advertised in this months mby for £125k, 2x 550hp detroits etc. which might be worth half an hour of your time if you're down that way.

tcm

Visit site
Re: YES

Bigger is always better, boatwise, but bigger than 50 feet in the channel is too big for some ports.

The flybridge thing is good for indoors winter warmth in UK weather, as you rightly suspect, tho ambassador is sportsbridge - you mean statesman? Sealines often work, but aren't known as the most rock solidly built boat. I'd look at the bigest possible Princess you can find, and every foot makes a difference to space and comfort at sea, and indeed to reliabilty cos they ain't got that restriction AND the original boat was probly owned by someone who cd afford to do all the servicing properly rather than someone on a tighter budget.

all imho.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think you mean the Sealine F36/37(Statesman?) which actually has a good reputation. Forum Oberfuhrer Hollamby drove one around the UK and MBM are still running one now so he might like to comment. Personally, I'd go for a flybridge boat rather than a sports boat as our weather is often less than clement. I would say that 45' should be the max size for S. Coast boating otherwise you may have difficulty finding overnight moorings in some harbours
Take a look at the Princess 360 (with TAMD 63L's) which also has a good reputation and, if you fancy bigger, an early 90's Fairline 41/43 or 43/45 is a lot of boat for the money and still relatively modern looking.

miket

Visit site
Beware of modest hp too.
Don't believe the builder's claims for top speed.
By the time you've loaded the holiday gear, RIB on the back, fuelled up and left enough water so SWIMBO can wash her hair when you arrive (oh plus the genny so she can dry it) you can knock off 5 knots.
Add a dirty bottom, rope cutters and a few chunks out of the props, and you'll be wishing you bought the bigger engined model.

RayB

Visit site
Sorry chaps, I did mean the Statesman! Take your point about engine and boat size. SWMBO prefered the 360 Statesman cos the interior is more modern than a similar priced Princess 360 or Phantom 37. Obviously the latter two have a better heritage and can have the TAMD63's. I like the Statesman staircase to the flybridge rather than the ladder on the other two, especially good for getting a 5.5 stone labrador up on the flybridge!
I think I do want a flybridge on shafts so should I consider anything else, I want to stay around 12m to keep the mooring fees sensible. Budget upto £125,000 but cheaper would leave me money for work that inevitably needs to be done.

Cheers

R

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Personally once I got past 40 feet I stopped going fast. When she's big enough to really live on board trying to get the other end faster doesn't have much point to it. Also of course you can then load up all the toys aboard without any additional noticeable penalty.

John