Ships VHF license

Way

Has anyone tried to get one recently? Trying to get one for our new boat.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/online-licensing-service/

The system seems to have been down for a few days. Can only assume if you're off on a longer trip like we are, take your personal license and if asked for it just explain the system was down? Can only assume they're not that important as the system wouldn't be down for days on end

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It's probably over running planned maintenance... this was posted before:

"IMPORTANT CHANGES TO OUR LICENSING SYSTEM

Please be aware that Ofcom are in the process of upgrading their licensing systems. In order to complete this, we are planning to take our online licensing services down between 5pm on Wednesday 13 July and 9am Wednesday 20 July 2016. Should you need to access these services, please ensure you do so before this time.

Please note that our online broadcasting clearance tool SPECTRAsc will remain available, however our in-house licensing team will only be able to handle limited queries.

We apologies in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience during this time."

Way

Probably worth taking a screen print of that message with you as proof.

Thought exactly the same. Seems really poor to me. Hate to complain, as a lot of people in public service (including my wife) do amazing jobs, but it seems too much is woolly and poorly executed. This being one example. Another being our Part 1 re-registration recently - couldn't get through for a few days. left a message with no call received back. and when I finally got through I had to push to check that they definitely had all the right documents and everything was in order and pressed the point that they had had everything for a long time.

GHA

Visit site
Thought exactly the same. Seems really poor to me. Hate to complain, as a lot of people in public service (including my wife) do amazing jobs, but it seems too much is woolly and poorly executed.

Unfortunate as ofcom are actually held in high regard by most who have had dealings with them as an agency who are actually very good at their job and provide an efficient service.
Have you tried phoning them? Long shot but they might be able to sort something out if you explain the situation, I've spoken to them before about merging ham radio licenses and marine licenses into one account - they do tend to be helpful.

Doineann

Visit site
I also have been trying to get a license for a new(old) boat. To be fair, OFCOM did warn they would be shutting down for a few days to bring in the new system, I am not sure how long it has now been down, more like 2 weeks, I think. Yesterday the web site said it would be up and running today, today it has taken down any reference to when it will be running and says it will be ‘as soon as possible’

I am buying my new to me boat in Holland from a German, looks like I shall bring her back using a German license.
So it looks like the normal mess up when Public Bodies try to commission IT.

Interesting thing is if you look for how to complain on the OFCOM web site, all it has is how to complain about other providers, not OFCOM itself as far as I can see

Mind you I have also not heard from the Small Ships Register either, despite sending in the papers about 4 weeks ago.

Doineann

Visit site
That's the one, I had got to this page about a week ago, and tried to register but nothing seemed to happen, clearly though it worked in some sort of way as they sent me an e mail this morning saying I could now complete registration.

I think they are starting numbering the licenses from zero, as I have license number 14. I wonder who got number 1?