Shipping and Inshore Waters forecast

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Yes, and I also linked the page saying those will continue to be in use once R4 moves to a single schedule. The additional LW programming will cease at the end of this month and the FM schedule will be the only schedule. The LW transmissions will cease later in 2024, for which a date has not yet been announced, but until then the single schedule will transmit on both.
You can carry on arguing all you like, but we have found the relevant information for you, copied it here, and explained it several times. It's clear to the rest of us and at this point you appear to be being obtuse.
If you seriously do have doubts I suggest you actually contact the BBC who will no doubt confirm what we've explained to you and what they've published quite clearly on their various platforms. You obviously don't trust us or their public messaging so why carry on the thread?
OK. I am 99% sure that you are correct. I have been transfixed by Why do I hear a message saying Radio 4 will stop running a Long Wave schedule from March 2024? | Help receiving TV and radio, which I still think is ambiguous at best. I never found More details announced regarding BBC Radio 4 long wave switch off Which is clear and published at about the same time.
My 1% doubt is whether they will maintain the same times. 0048 and 0520 are a little off the beaten track. On the other hand, to a user st sea, that is not a prime consideration.
Personally, I would be happy if it was totally discontinued but have to recognise that there are still some real users. For them, of course, it should really be twice a day at 12 hour intervals as it only covers a 24 hour period.

lustyd

Visit site
I agree the times seemed silly but I guess they don’t want to interrupt daytime programming.
I also agree we’d be better off discontinuing. Until there’s a gap in the market a new solution probably won’t emerge. Those using it would adapt, people always do.

Mister E

Visit site
I looked at what was posted and on my phone it only shows a one day in march.
Is it so difficult to just write the times on here?

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Recently, I have been concerned to be quite clear about the revised shipping forecast schedules for publication in almanacs. I have said, several times, that the shipping forecast has had its day. A great idea for many years, the world has now moved on. I have written the following to the BBC -

“With the cessation of R4 LW, the shipping forecast has now lost all relevance. At sea, it can now only be received within range of FM transmissions. Within that range, MCA HMCG broadcasts Inshore Waters Forecasts 8 times daily on marine VHF. Twice a day, weather broadcasts on VHF and MF include shipping forecast for nearby sea areas. MF has a range up to about 200 nautical miles. Further, there is NAVTEX, admittedly a 1950s technology system, issuing shipping forecasts twice a day, again with a range of over 200 nautical miles.”

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Recently, I have been concerned to be quite clear about the revised shipping forecast schedules for publication in almanacs. I have said, several times, that the shipping forecast has had its day. A great idea for many years, the world has now moved on. I have written the following to the BBC -

“With the cessation of R4 LW, the shipping forecast has now lost all relevance. At sea, it can now only be received within range of FM transmissions. Within that range, MCA HMCG broadcasts Inshore Waters Forecasts 8 times daily on marine VHF. Twice a day, weather broadcasts on VHF and MF include shipping forecast for nearby sea areas. MF has a range up to about 200 nautical miles. Further, there is NAVTEX, admittedly a 1950s technology system, issuing shipping forecasts twice a day, again with a range of over 200 nautical miles.”
I haven't read the full thread so apologies if repeating. Radio Solent Broadcasts Inshore, Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis every morning.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
I haven't read the full thread so apologies if repeating. Radio Solent Broadcasts Inshore, Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis every morning.
The thread is about the closure of Radio 4. See More details announced regarding BBC Radio 4 long wave switch off, in particular the effect on the BBC Shipping Forecast.

At one time, this was written under my guidance. At one time the RYA Yachtmaster syllabus asked you to take it down live and draw a little synoptic chart to help interpret the forecast. In the 1970s, Keith Best and I wrote a RYA training manual about it. That has long ago been superseded by the wonders online. I remember in the 2000s sitting on a RYA committee and hearing some old diehards claiming the shipping forecast was absolutely essential to our well being. Sacrosanct. They were surprised when I cast doubt on their views. Even then I was expressing my feelings about its irrelevance.