Shipman 28 advice needed

AndCur

Visit site
Folks

I am thinking of changing my Achilles 24 to a larger boat and have come across a Shipman 28 what does the forum think of these boats are they light on the helm etc. Also they seem to have a trim tab on the keel which is unusual is this good or bad. On the engine side it has a Farymann 12hp what are the views on these.

As always thanks for the advice.

Andrew

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
Hi Andrew

I am part owner of a Shipman28 which we bought some years ago and have done some extensive work on it.

They are sound boats, fast, a bit unstable downwind, uncommon in the UK, very common in Eire in Scandinavia....

We too had a Farymann 12HP driving a hydraulic drive. The engine ran well but was getting long in the tooth and underpowered for the boat so we have just upgraded to a Beta 20Hp. Spares for Farymann A40 are very hard to come by now.

It must be one of the first few (And built in Sweden or Denmark). This tab was dropped early on and now is not allowed in the class.

I find our quite light on the helm as long as you follow the advice that she needs to be reefed early. If she is healing more than 20deg you need to put a reef in the main.

I'll send you a PM with my details if you want to discuss in more detail.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Andcur!

I have not owned one myself, but a friend had one for a few years. Generally he was happy with it, nothing fantastic, but perfectly ok. Then one lay-up he was walking around with a very long face! He was puzzled by the rust stains occuring at the hull/deck joint. He got access to a couple of these after a hell of a lot of work, only to discover to his horror, that the hull deck joint bolts were plain galvanised steel!!

The one's he'd accessed were so badly corroded that he started to remove the rest. It was such hard work that he gave up, sailed the boat the next season then sold it.

He says his was made in Ireland and that the use of ms bolts was standard, but I don't know whether that's true. Whilst you may be perfectly happy with this, I suggest you or your surveyor thoroughly check this out though as part of the pre-purchase survey, as it may affect the price when you come to sell her.

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>