Ship Happens

DownWest

Visit site
??....... going back to ourJelly Ellie, her life before boating was very interesting to say the least . I had an interesting conversation with her whilst she visited a marina i was staying in . When asked her whether her "sponsored gifts "were worthwhile her reply was a sweet little smile ...... a very clever cookie . Enough said .
Out of interest, what was the result of JE's efforts? I thought I heard that it was languishing on the S coast? And that was a while back.

clyst

Visit site
One of the realities is after you have spent a huge amount of time and potloads of loot doing it up, it is still not worth much, as the next owner will have to continue to spend large amounts to keep it up to scratch, aside from the basic costs of running it.

Quite a while back, I was responsible for a big wooden ketch, 65 ft or a bit more, depending on how you measured it. 35 tons with two 140hp engines. It was built for a RTW trip in Italy, which it did. We acquired it at 10yrs old. It came in every winter after summer charters and company jollys. Even at that age, it needed quite a lot of money just to keep it up to scratch. A new set of Hood sails was a bit eye watering. I could use it if I wished, but even then, the cost of fuel was off putting.

Anybody who didn't read the Ginger Dot referred to above, should, if they have any delusions about what a real restoration entails.
We will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings . I'm sat on the edge of my seat .

Tranona

Visit site
Anybody who didn't read the Ginger Dot referred to above, should, if they have any delusions about what a real restoration entails.

Those of us who have experience of real restorations etc look at projects like this with scepticism wondering what it is that we mixed and these folks have found that justifies their optimism - and dismissal of all advice!

TSB240

Visit site
I enjoyed their training trip around my locality. Great weather and good to see Richard (AKA Kwackers of this Parish) passing on his knowledge and going above and beyond the course requirements.

Loxxxton

Visit site
Hello all.
I am brand new to the forum and joined to try and get some idea about the classic boat scene and the community. I am about to retire, have no boating experience but have a dream of owning a classic wooden motor boat to pootle around the south coast.
I was hoping for advice information and encouragement but im afraid I just seem to have found a group of grumpy condescending misogynistic old men using this forum to moan about and denigrate others!! I have seen Ship Happens and they appear to be going about doing their thing and enjoying a bit of adventure, why not leave them to it? If it's so offensive don't watch it!! I think I'll try other forums out instead sorry.

sarabande

Visit site
Hello Loxxxton

Boating is not always about dreams, it is sometimes about danger and unpleasant death. This " group of grumpy condescending misogynistic old men " (you don't really understand the meaning of mysogynistic in a sailing context, do you ?) has a collective experience of the good and bad in boating, far beyond what any individual can assemble. When we see someone taking on a project which is pretty well doomed to failure because they do not understand the workload or expense or demand on skills involved, we tell them because we are trying to help them, and save them - or those trying to rescue them - from disaster. It's a social form of duty of care bcs we love the sea and sailing.

Carry on and do your dreaming, but unless you are prepared to talk with experienced boating people, and listen to their advice, you will end up spending money beyond your present comprehension, and experiencing despair and hurt.

Please shut the door on your way out.

Tranona

Visit site
Hello all.
I am brand new to the forum and joined to try and get some idea about the classic boat scene and the community. I am about to retire, have no boating experience but have a dream of owning a classic wooden motor boat to pootle around the south coast.
I was hoping for advice information and encouragement but im afraid I just seem to have found a group of grumpy condescending misogynistic old men using this forum to moan about and denigrate others!! I have seen Ship Happens and they appear to be going about doing their thing and enjoying a bit of adventure, why not leave them to it? If it's so offensive don't watch it!! I think I'll try other forums out instead sorry.
Very much the opposite. There are many people here, both amateurs and professionals who have built and/or rebuilt a variety of boats and are willing to pass on their experience. However, as sarabande says there are some "projects" that should never be attempted at all as well as some people who are incapable of recognising this, nor listening to advice that is honestly offered.

A small number of boats of this type have been restored, but by large teams of dedicated professionals and volunteers and the expenditure of huge sums of money over long periods of time. It is simply unrealistic for a couple with no boat building experience to take on such a project. Even leaving aside the skills and experience bit there are simply not enough hours in a person's active life to carry out the work required.

dankilb

Visit site
Absolutely. I’m firmly in the ‘take it seriously’ camp. Our boat regularly exercises it’s ability to empty my bank balance (or more accurately, recently, to add to the credit card balance) by four and five figure sums. It also had the ability to take the lives of me, my crew and others. I do plenty of other stupid, whimsical and even reckless stuff in my life - but not on or to do with my boat. Plus even getting a refit ‘wrong’ means potentially creating another wreck and spaffing tonnes of CO2/resources on wasted materials - all of which future generations are going to have to deal with. My advise to @Loxxxton (and the Ship Happens crew, who despite being round the corner, I’ve always simply ignored) is to watch Tally Ho start to finish, see how it’s really done, and then contemplate the ‘pootling’ vs skilled craftsperson balance and decide how you’ll make that work in reality.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Joined up specially today so they could tell us they're leaving? OK. That's not suspicious at all.

Taken at face value; in the 1st instance obtain some RYA qualifications(for local cruising(e.g. around the solent only) Day Skipper may suffice, but wider SC cruising Coastal Skipper would be prudent). There used to be clubs for motor boating, not sure if any still exist but if they do joining for the purpose of crewing for other owners or at least getting days out on their boats to see what they are like; superficially similar designs can be very different to live with. Wooden boats are a hobby in and of themselves, only buy if you have the skills and motivation to maintain it DIY or pockets deep enough to pay contractors to do it for you; their boaty qualities are almost incidental.
Hello all.

Birdy60

Visit site
Hey Terry,
How is the weather down in Plymouth?

If you all have questions why not ask instead of bitching like school girls online? [Inappropriate content removed]

So last nights episode was a blatant begging bowl for more wood? well that's funny as at the end of the episode we go and get more wood, so how is that begging?

What happened to the roof you ask, well its still there! But as we are sensible people, work must be complete in a sensible order! That roof was high priority due to water ingress and how bad it was fixed on. The aft roof can't be done until the deck is done, as the roof is supported on the aft deck, the aft deck can't be done until the internal woodwork has been done. So we are working in a logical approach.

If we wanted to make alot of money, we would not have bought a 72ft rotten boat. We are doing this to save a peice of history. Working our bottoms off trying to achieve this. It is a long project and everything can't be done at once. And to tell you the honest truth, the money we are earning doesn't even cover the cost of the materials we are using, never mind earn a wage from it.
So that is why we still work full time, and boat work and youtube is another full time job that we do without making a penny! If it is about money making then we are failing massively and we would be better working in KFC! And that would also be better for our mental health, as people like you have a big impact, can you imagine how it must feel to open yourself up online to get constant abuse?
Anyway hope you enjoy your summer on your fairmile 31! And also remember just because you hide behind a screen name doesn't mean people don't know who you are!
Will also say hello to Mess38 while im here!
Hi Chris ? hope Cardiff is nice this time of year!
Oh dear, just seen this and the reference to it in your current video. If you are concerned by your mental health this seems a particularly unhelpful rabbit hole to go down. At the end of the day you are the ones putting large portions of your daily lives onto social media and you get mostly positive feedback. As this is mainly a forum for the “experts” you so despise, where you know there will be a more realistic assessment of your project which may involve some criticism of your methods I’m surprised you actually go searching it out and start making some rather strange personal comments. However I now notice you are spending more time on Sarinda and less time at work and are looking to buy a TSMY so I’m glad to see things are going well for you, You tube can be a wonderful thing for projects like yours but I think you would do well to develop a thicker skin especially in the years to come when you get to the challenging parts of your repairs.

clyst

Visit site
Oh dear, just seen this and the reference to it in your current video. If you are concerned by your mental health this seems a particularly unhelpful rabbit hole to go down. At the end of the day you are the ones putting large portions of your daily lives onto social media and you get mostly positive feedback. As this is mainly a forum for the “experts” you so despise, where you know there will be a more realistic assessment of your project which may involve some criticism of your methods I’m surprised you actually go searching it out and start making some rather strange personal comments. However I now notice you are spending more time on Sarinda and less time at work and are looking to buy a TSMY so I’m glad to see things are going well for you, You tube can be a wonderful thing for projects like yours but I think you would do well to develop a thicker skin especially in the years to come when you get to the challenging parts of your repairs.
Hi Bird it seems that she is now making it a personal attack on me both here and on er YouTube channel ......she obviously enjoys stalking me ........ a very strange woman indeed . However since she brought it up that I was a a fostercarer in another life I have to say during those 14 year mainly caring demanding teens most of who suffered with some form or mental health issues ranging from anxiety, depression etc to self harming and other abnormal behaviour . The point I was getting to is that during those years you quickly became an "expert " in recognising sufferers with ADHD . Classic signs have recently been evident on this forum by a new member and on her youtube channel . Since it has been mentioned several times by herself its no secret that mental health problems exist within her close family so I find it very strange that she should mount a personal attack on someone who has helped many kids over many years to work through their problems and issues .
I'm surprised to read that SH are in the market for another TSMY .. must be mad !

Birdy60

Visit site
Hi Bird it seems that she is now making it a personal attack on me both here and on er YouTube channel ......she obviously enjoys stalking me ........ a very strange woman indeed . However since she brought it up that I was a a fostercarer in another life I have to say during those 14 year mainly caring demanding teens most of who suffered with some form or mental health issues ranging from anxiety, depression etc to self harming and other abnormal behaviour . The point I was getting to is that during those years you quickly became an "expert " in recognising sufferers with ADHD . Classic signs have recently been evident on this forum by a new member and on her youtube channel . Since it has been mentioned several times by herself its no secret that mental health problems exist within her close family so I find it very strange that she should mount a personal attack on someone who has helped many kids over many years to work through their problems and issues .
I'm surprised to read that SH are in the market for another TSMY .. must be mad !

Yes bonkers, another boat puts further strain on finances and time as that will need maintenance as well, may well end up with its own YouTube channel though?. They have plenty of energy I will give them that but there is a sense that one has seen it all before so many times when people’s eyes light up at how little a big old wooden boat can cost to buy but then five or six years after purchase the energy levels flag when they realise they are still so far away in terms of time and money to actually getting any use out of it. However I hope they do end up competing it but worry that at some point they will realise they have bitten off more than they can chew. I just wish they would go through the whole boat removing joinery if required to enable them to get a full scope of the work involved then come up with a sensible plan rather than just starting with the easy accessible bits, and yes I would have got it slipped even if just for a week to see what it’s like below the WL. Very weird being mentioned on her channel and on here, doesn’t seem healthy at all☹️ I certainly hope her kid’s don’t get bored of it as it’s going to be the backdrop for the rest of their childhoods.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
‘100’ negative posts and you think you’re being stalked? ?

I can't watch this utter rubbish anymore !

Iv just had a quick look and like you just couldn't stick it after a few second but I got up to the painting schedule boat .

Just watched the WHOLE of this weeks episode ! .

Just had a quick look at this weeks video !

I note this weeks episode has the blatent begging bowl out for more wood .

......she obviously enjoys stalking me

clyst

Visit site
My you have done your homework !?you must be extremely bored to trawl all Through that ....... or working under instruction.