Ship Happens

Wansworth

Visit site
The reality is to move it they need insurance ,once on the move in navigable water the risk of sinking and blocking a channel would be a big worry andanycomercialslipway would be wary of having it up,maybe an underwater inspection by a diver/surveyor would shed some light.I recall back in the late 1960there wasa very simular raft up on the blocks in Littlehampton being sorted for a voyage to Australia it had twin rolls Royce engines.Probably twenty years after it was built there was a possibility it was seaworthy.

ShipHappens

Visit site
I note this weeks episode has the blatent begging bowl out for more wood .?? ... and they haven't completed the forepeak yet . I hope the financial "penny" is now begining to drop for them . ........ I wonder what the kids are thinking about the same old weekend routine this summer. BTW how the girls interest in the mirror restoration .......... is it still on going ?

Hey Terry,
How is the weather down in Plymouth?

If you all have questions why not ask instead of bitching like school girls online? [Inappropriate content removed]

So last nights episode was a blatant begging bowl for more wood? well that's funny as at the end of the episode we go and get more wood, so how is that begging?

What happened to the roof you ask, well its still there! But as we are sensible people, work must be complete in a sensible order! That roof was high priority due to water ingress and how bad it was fixed on. The aft roof can't be done until the deck is done, as the roof is supported on the aft deck, the aft deck can't be done until the internal woodwork has been done. So we are working in a logical approach.

If we wanted to make alot of money, we would not have bought a 72ft rotten boat. We are doing this to save a peice of history. Working our bottoms off trying to achieve this. It is a long project and everything can't be done at once. And to tell you the honest truth, the money we are earning doesn't even cover the cost of the materials we are using, never mind earn a wage from it.
So that is why we still work full time, and boat work and youtube is another full time job that we do without making a penny! If it is about money making then we are failing massively and we would be better working in KFC! And that would also be better for our mental health, as people like you have a big impact, can you imagine how it must feel to open yourself up online to get constant abuse?
Anyway hope you enjoy your summer on your fairmile 31! And also remember just because you hide behind a screen name doesn't mean people don't know who you are!
Will also say hello to Mess38 while im here!
Hi Chris ? hope Cardiff is nice this time of year!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wansworth

Visit site
I think tus quite normal that we should chat like fishwives at the pump commenting on our neighbours and wondering how it going to turnout certainly if I was on the beach and saw you I would have no problem with asking what your plans were.Are you planning to move it to a slip for an appraisal of the bottom?

ShipHappens

Visit site
I think tus quite normal that we should chat like fishwives at the pump commenting on our neighbours and wondering how it going to turnout certainly if I was on the beach and saw you I would have no problem with asking what your plans were.Are you planning to move it to a slip for an appraisal of the bottom?
We will move her when the time is right, at the moment she isn't structurally sound to be moved, it would cause more problems than it solves, and she isn't strong enough to be lifted. We can do alot of the work where she is without incurring massive costs.
I did price up putting her on the hard, but as stated above it wouldn't even be possible, but it would cost £2000 for a lift and £250 per week for storage. Plus you don't want a wooden boat out the water for long, and with it only being a part time project there is no common sense in doing this,
It will happen one day, when she is ready!
But for now it's great that she still floats and sees water, and the ground dries out enough for us to access the hull for the repairs needed!

And would you take a car for an mot knowing it was a pile of rust and would fail? Same thing with a boat survey, we know what needs doing, and we are nowhere near the stage of a needing a surveyor!

I understand people wanting to chat about things, but honestly there is no need for some of the vile comments on here, people should be supporting each other and not trying to tear people apart!

Restoration man

Visit site
Hey Terry,

If you all have questions why not ask instead of bitching like school girls online? [Inappropriate content removed]

So last nights episode was a blatant begging bowl for more wood? well that's funny as at the end of the episode we go and get more wood, so how is that begging?

What happened to the roof you ask, well its still there! But as we are sensible people, work must be complete in a sensible order! That roof was high priority due to water ingress and how bad it was fixed on. The aft roof can't be done until the deck is done, as the roof is supported on the aft deck, the aft deck can't be done until the internal woodwork has been done. So we are working in a logical approach.

If we wanted to make alot of money, we would not have bought a 72ft rotten boat. We are doing this to save a peice of history. Working our bottoms off trying to achieve this. It is a long project and everything can't be done at once. And to tell you the honest truth, the money we are earning doesn't even cover the cost of the materials we are using, never mind earn a wage from it.
So that is why we still work full time, and boat work and youtube is another full time job that we do without making a penny! If it is about money making then we are failing massively and we would be better working in KFC! And that would also be better for our mental health, as people like you have a big impact, can you imagine how it must feel to open yourself up online to get constant abuse?
Anyway hope you enjoy your summer on your fairmile 31! And also remember just because you hide behind a screen name doesn't mean people don't know who you are!

Hi shiphappens I enjoy watching your videos they help motivate me for my restoration job, i look forward to them comming on line, if people wish to send you stuff I don’t see the harm , I would love to put my work on YouTube but I genuinely don’t have the time to set the camera up ,do the jobs on the boat, then edit the footage,I don’t know how you find the time , you have done really well so far keep up the good work ???

ShipHappens

Visit site
Hi shiphappens I enjoy watching your videos they help motivate me for my restoration job, i look forward to them comming on line, if people wish to send you stuff I don’t see the harm , I would love to put my work on YouTube but I genuinely don’t have the time to set the camera up ,do the jobs on the boat, then edit the footage,I don’t know how you find the time , you have done really well so far keep up the good work ???

It is alot of work, we don't have a minute to just relax! Can you imagine how much it takes it out of you to work like 2 full time jobs! We absolutely love the boat work, and the amazing people we get to interact with, just ashame there are so many ***** in the world!

Keith 66

Visit site
Many people who commented on this project will have been called naysayers & im probably in that group. It is not because we are all ****holes or ***** but its because many of us will have worked in the boat trade, know what we are doing & are willing to share knowledge, some of us care about what happens to boats & people. I have been boatbuilding & repairing boats since i left school in the late 70's, I have offered help & advice countless times to people i know & often practical help too. Often for no financial gain whatsoever just because we care. Most wooden boatbuilders worth their salt will have done similar.
But there is a peculiar blindness about some people who buy wooden boats & refuse to accept that others might actually know what they are talking about.
Look at Tally Ho, A masterclass in how to do it right.
Another masterclass in how to do it right is the tale of Ginger Dot, a classic motor yacht from the 1920's, It is a long saga & still not finished but the work & cost involved in doing the job right is staggering. the couple who own it got old doing it & i can only hope they get to see her underway, heres the link, Ginger Dot, No bodging, maybe if they had started a you tube channel it might have been a hit.

DownWest

Visit site
Many people who commented on this project will have been called naysayers & im probably in that group. It is not because we are all ****holes or ***** but its because many of us will have worked in the boat trade, know what we are doing & are willing to share knowledge, some of us care about what happens to boats & people. I have been boatbuilding & repairing boats since i left school in the late 70's, I have offered help & advice countless times to people i know & often practical help too. Often for no financial gain whatsoever just because we care. Most wooden boatbuilders worth their salt will have done similar.
But there is a peculiar blindness about some people who buy wooden boats & refuse to accept that others might actually know what they are talking about.
Look at Tally Ho, A masterclass in how to do it right.
Another masterclass in how to do it right is the tale of Ginger Dot, a classic motor yacht from the 1920's, It is a long saga & still not finished but the work & cost involved in doing the job right is staggering. the couple who own it got old doing it & i can only hope they get to see her underway, heres the link, Ginger Dot, No bodging, maybe if they had started a you tube channel it might have been a hit.
Hi Keith, I mentioned Ginger Dot in post 257, as it was once my father's for a short time. Briefly chatted to the owners, but I think it is still stalled.

clyst

Visit site
Hey Terry,

Firstly Gemma if you want to be respected on these forums I suggest you drop the arrogant attitude . Its sad that your first post involved the moderators removing " inappropriate content " Unfortunately for you you have absolutely no control to what is discussed on this forum . As previously stated posters here are in the main serious boaters with a mass of knowledge of wooden boats . Sadly something you lack . If you want to tap into this knowledge its there..... but you have to remember that there are some posters here support you in your quest but also the are those who can see the error of your ways and will ,whether you like it or not discuss it at length .
I personally will not engage with you on this forum but I will continue to post as I have previously done . as I know from experience you will not accept any critism of your quest .
Reference your statement above regarding suggesting that I am hiding between a screen and not using my real name ...... oh the irony ! SHIP HAPPENS is your real name Gemma ?

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Clyst……you do seem to be obsessed with this……some will remember your posts on here doing similar to the young lass Jellie Ellie a few years back.
You dont come across on here as a pleasant individual,let’s hope in real life you’re a nicer person.
The world would be a very boring place without dreamers don’t you think ?
Do you have any work you could put up on here for everyone to pick apart ?

clyst

Visit site
Hi Flynnbarr .... yes I do have a knack reading between the lines and invariably come to the correct conclusion .?....... I feel sorry for the gullible.

clyst

Visit site
??....... going back to ourJelly Ellie, her life before boating was very interesting to say the least . I had an interesting conversation with her whilst she visited a marina i was staying in . When asked her whether her "sponsored gifts "were worthwhile her reply was a sweet little smile ...... a very clever cookie . Enough said .

Restoration man

Visit site
Maybe we should have a reboot on this thread and forget everything that’s been said before and start over again a fresh ??? , it would be nice if ship happens could feel like they could actually use this forum for what it’s intended for “ asking serious questions”and hopefully getting some sensible responses from people who are knowledgeable,
Just a thought ???

steveeasy

Visit site
No idea why any person would want such a big liability. It’s not like you or anyone could use such a thing. Money down the drain me thinks.
steveeasy

DownWest

Visit site
One of the realities is after you have spent a huge amount of time and potloads of loot doing it up, it is still not worth much, as the next owner will have to continue to spend large amounts to keep it up to scratch, aside from the basic costs of running it.

Quite a while back, I was responsible for a big wooden ketch, 65 ft or a bit more, depending on how you measured it. 35 tons with two 140hp engines. It was built for a RTW trip in Italy, which it did. We acquired it at 10yrs old. It came in every winter after summer charters and company jollys. Even at that age, it needed quite a lot of money just to keep it up to scratch. A new set of Hood sails was a bit eye watering. I could use it if I wished, but even then, the cost of fuel was off putting.

Anybody who didn't read the Ginger Dot referred to above, should, if they have any delusions about what a real restoration entails.