Ship aground on Brambel bank?

Bajansailor

Visit site
I posted the note below on the Mobo Forum, and as there is a long running thread on here as well, I thought I would ask my (rather long winded) question here as well to any maritime lawyers.

Nobody on here has mentioned the Salvors (Svitzer) yet - and they are going to be looking for a fairly hefty salvage claim.

Some years ago I was involved in cargo surveys on a ship at anchor in Trinidad - her main engine had broken down while on passage from the USA to West Africa with very expensive oil field equipment on board, and a Smit salvage tug was sent out to tow her to Trinidad as this was the nearest place of safe refuge.
The cargo was break bulk - all sorts of different types of drilling kit and equipment, with a long list of Owners of the different cargoes on the vessel.
The Owners (Charterers? ) were faced with a very hefty salvage claim from Smit, so they declared 'General Average'.
This was probably a clever wheeze on their part at the time - basically this meant that all of the different Owners of the cargo being shipped had to 'chip in' a proportion of the salvage fee (based on the value of their cargo) and the costs of trans-shipping their cargo to another vessel, otherwise they could say good-bye to their very expensive goods.

I am wondering if perhaps the same sort of situation might apply here, where Hoegh declare General Average, and the owners (or Insurers) of the vehicles all have to chip in to the cost of the salvage?

This is what Wiki has to say about General Average - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_average

And if anybody is VERY keen on bedtime reading about this fascinating subject, here is a 68 page guide to it - https://www.ctplc.com/media/72233/A-...al-Average.pdf

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Well, they are all left hand drive, so no one needs to worry about their local dealer unloading one on them...

Just send out to russia or Africa and flog em.

Ps.. They look fine to me.

sailorman

Visit site
I posted the note below on the Mobo Forum, and as there is a long running thread on here as well, I thought I would ask my (rather long winded) question here as well to any maritime lawyers.

Nobody on here has mentioned the Salvors (Svitzer) yet - and they are going to be looking for a fairly hefty salvage claim.

Some years ago I was involved in cargo surveys on a ship at anchor in Trinidad - her main engine had broken down while on passage from the USA to West Africa with very expensive oil field equipment on board, and a Smit salvage tug was sent out to tow her to Trinidad as this was the nearest place of safe refuge.
The cargo was break bulk - all sorts of different types of drilling kit and equipment, with a long list of Owners of the different cargoes on the vessel.
The Owners (Charterers? ) were faced with a very hefty salvage claim from Smit, so they declared 'General Average'.
This was probably a clever wheeze on their part at the time - basically this meant that all of the different Owners of the cargo being shipped had to 'chip in' a proportion of the salvage fee (based on the value of their cargo) and the costs of trans-shipping their cargo to another vessel, otherwise they could say good-bye to their very expensive goods.

I am wondering if perhaps the same sort of situation might apply here, where Hoegh declare General Average, and the owners (or Insurers) of the vehicles all have to chip in to the cost of the salvage?

This is what Wiki has to say about General Average - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_average

And if anybody is VERY keen on bedtime reading about this fascinating subject, here is a 68 page guide to it - https://www.ctplc.com/media/72233/A-...al-Average.pdf

from the bbc site
[Cars worth tens of thousands of pounds have been driven off the Hoegh Osaka cargo ship that was stranded in the Solent.The vehicles could be driven off, having been securely lashed down during 19 days spent at an angle.
The ship was towed to Berth 101 at Southampton docks last Thursday and work to unload the cargo has now begun.
It is likely the cars will be inspected before their future is decided.
Salvors and investigators handed over control of the ship to owners Hoegh Autoliners on Friday.
An inspection showed there was only "minimal damage" to the ship.]

chanelyacht

Visit site
One report said that a badly secured piece of construction plant had shifted and punched a hole in the hull. Haven't seen that repeated though, so maybe it was erroneous.

The plant movement looks most likely to have occurred post-list, and therefore was not causal.

Clever money is on either human error, or ballast control system failure.