Ship aground on Brambel bank?

dragoon

Visit site
Hmm. Hydraulic fluid has leaked out and the BBC reports that some of the cargo has been submerged ... I strongly suspect that they'll scrap the lot, as Mazda did with the Cougar Ace cargo. Who is going to want to buy a new car which has had hydraulic fluid running out of it while sitting in a salty atmosphere for a few weeks?

I would happily buy one of the Land Rovers with a big enough discount (probably would want to see it first though). Sadly they won't want the parts entering the supply chain I expect and will likely scrap the lot as you say.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I would happily buy one of the Land Rovers with a big enough discount (probably would want to see it first though). Sadly they won't want the parts entering the supply chain I expect and will likely scrap the lot as you say.

Ah, the lad fro the East End was reportedly seen loitering around the docks, you know him, Arthur D :)

prv

Visit site

All the media keep saying that there are "Jaguars and Land Rovers" on board. I've seen lots of Land Rover vehicles (as well as Minis and plant) but I haven't seen a single photo with a Jag in it. Are the silly journos just getting confused by the company name?

Pete

doris

Visit site
Insurance

If you write your car off and claim on insurance the wreck becomes the property of the insurance company to do with as they wish.
In this case should the manufacturers write off the vehicles and claim the insurance will want to get value form the left overs.
Thoughts?

sailorman

Visit site
If you write your car off and claim on insurance the wreck becomes the property of the insurance company to do with as they wish.
In this case should the manufacturers write off the vehicles and claim the insurance will want to get value form the left overs.
Thoughts?
And then the manufacturers get double bubble as they have to make some more

halcyon

Visit site
All the media keep saying that there are "Jaguars and Land Rovers" on board. I've seen lots of Land Rover vehicles (as well as Minis and plant) but I haven't seen a single photo with a Jag in it. Are the silly journos just getting confused by the company name?

Pete

There are, or were 1,200 Jags, Land Rovers and Range Rover's on board, understand all written off on insurance day 1.

Brian

Iain C

Visit site

I hate the Daily Fail with every fibre of my being. Seriously, even if I got caught out after a particularly nasty strain of lamb vindaloo, and due to industrial action at the Andrex factory, the Fail was the only paper textile available, I could not even bring myself to do the obvious.

And they can't even spell Boxster. Now I REALLY hate them.

BelleSerene

Visit site
Thoughts?

You don't write your car off. Your insurance company may. If it does, sure, it owns the car and the rest of what you suggest becomes true.

But it with mere door panel damage, that's harfly a write-off. Why do you think an insurance company should pay out for the whole value of the car?! Ain't no write-off. Ain't no reason to believe the cars don't remain the property of the manufacturers.

sailorman

Visit site
You don't write your car off. Your insurance company may. If it does, sure, it owns the car and the rest of what you suggest becomes true.

But it with mere door panel damage, that's harfly a write-off. Why do you think an insurance company should pay out for the whole value of the car?! Ain't no write-off. Ain't no reason to believe the cars don't remain the property of the manufacturers.
The vehicles would surely be sold "Ex Works" & probably belonged to an importer

doris

Visit site
R
Thoughts?

The point I was trying to make is that the supposedly compromised cars are going to hit the market in some form, despite the reservations about their mechanical integrity etc after spending too long tilting at 50* in a nice salty environment.
Warranty etc...Hmmmm?

halcyon

Visit site

Written-off day one.

Brian

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The point I was trying to make is that the supposedly compromised cars are going to hit the market in some form, despite the reservations about their mechanical integrity etc after spending too long tilting at 50* in a nice salty environment.
Warranty etc...Hmmmm?

That is precisely why the entire (Mazda) cargo of the MV Cougar Ace was scrapped. I would be very surprised if any part of the Hoegh Osaka's cargo was allowed on the road ... not particularly because of any dangers, but because of the damage it would do the brands to have possibly dodgy cars out there.