Shiny prop shaft

penpal

Visit site
Well I got all the barnicles off the prop shaft and props, using the starbright spray. I tried the mortar and brick cleaner and it did not work. However I cannot get the prop shaft nice and shiny and remove the little marks on it. All around me are shiny prop shafts, so what am I not doing?

How do you get the props to look clean and shiny? They still look burnished.

Worst job on a boat!!

Trundlebug

Visit site
I've just done the same job on the shafts and props over the w/e and polished them up. Sorry no pics yet though.

If the brick cleaner didn't work on the shafts, try Cillit Bang, it cleans up stainless nicely. Use a sponge scourer or scotchbrite pad and it should bring them up a treat.

On our boat the props are bronze and I must confess I've found them hard to get looking really shiny. I cleaned them up a treat with a paint stripping wheel on an angle grinder, then used coarse rubbing compound on a scotchbrite pad to bring up the finish.

I waxed them afterwards using a polish I bought for the car - Bilt Hamber Auto balm. It's made them very slippery, even though they still don't shine as brightly as I would like. But I figure appearance is less important than feel, being as they're invisible when the boat's in the water.

I was wondering whether to try polishing the props with fine valve grinding paste next time rather than rubbing compound. Has anyone else tried this?

aquatom

Visit site
I this what you want?

We did this one last week. The boat is a 2003 Phantom 46. This is achieved by using strong acid (not available in the uk as it works), then 1200 wet and dry, then 1500 wet and dry then Marineshine metal polish with a machine.

Yes it still gets growth on it but alot falls off when the boat is used. I takes a full day to do this first time but just a couple of hours every year after that. We do it free of charge for all of our customers when we are antifouling their boats. Using a wire brush or a scraper on these props will put it right back to the start again.

bluetooth

Visit site
Whats good instrument or technique to remove barnacles off a SS prop in the water on a sterndrive? Kad 300 will beach trim to access.
Thinking small wallpaper stripper?
Can't imagine you can damage a SS prop or can you.
Cheers

BruceK

Visit site
Never really had anything stick to my SS propellers that a good blast did not shed or a stiff nylon scrubbing brush didnt clear (mostly an algae come slime on the hub)

bluetooth

Visit site
Never really had anything stick to my SS propellers that a good blast did not shed or a stiff nylon scrubbing brush didnt clear (mostly an algae come slime on the hub)
No barnacles? Not usually affecting me in poole but since been warm and marinas shutdown they got a hold from March relaunch

BruceK

Visit site
Barnacles on outdrives is the bane of my life clogging intakes etc but no, no barnacles collect on the props

BruceK

Visit site
Having said that I wondered if it was because my props windmill in the estuary current. But I tried B5's once and they got caked in barnacles. Then I wondered if windmilling SS props may set off a galvanizing current because I never get barnacles on my zincs either. Certaintly I eat prop shaft anodes with them on. Hard to say but SS props and me they are always clean.