Shining example of another kind

nicho

Visit site
Last week, whilst moored on the pontoon in Yarmouth, we were rafted against, by a family in a Jeanneau 36. Mum and Dad, a girl of around 7 years and a boy of around 9 years. Now, in the past, this has proven to be a nightmare, so how pleasant it was (and sad to say how unusual it is) to find two children that have been brought up in what I would call (as a rapidly approaching old codger) a "proper" way.

They were so polite, so content and well behaved, each getting on with their boat chores quietly. No shouting, no whinging, no screaming, not one "No, I won't" , just two lovely kids with great conversation, with a view of the world much greater than their ages would imply. A pure delight. When our kids were brought up 30+ years ago that sort of behaviour was surely the norm, but these days, it's a shame it's such a rarity. We were very pleasantly surprised.

A contrast then, a couple of days later in Lymington, when two little monsters on the boat behind us, fought and argued and screamed all day, with their parents ignoring the disturbance they were creating - sadly, it seems this behaviour is now accepted as the norm - makes you wonder what it will be like in 20 years time.

God, I AM an old codger already!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
I know the kids at Lymington you mean, I was in the boat yard and could hear them creating allll day

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rabbie

Visit site
Seems every time I visit my local Safeways there are several such 'parents' and their brood around. A few months ago, My son described a scene in this store - he could hardly tell the tale he was laughing so much. Apparently, there was a small boy brat who was creating mayhem in the fruit and veg area, being completely ignored by his 'parents'. A very elegant elderly lady who was watching the brat for some minutes, eventually went up to him, bent down and said in a loud voice, 'If you don't stop this racket and behave yourself, I'm going to kick you in the b******s'. She got a round of applause. 'Parents' apparently carried on shopping without comment!.

<hr width=100% size=1>.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
why do parents take their kids to supermarkets to hit them?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
But, seriously....

Would you have me as a member? I am a parent of an 8 year old.

That I chose to breed later in life than most is my fault, admittedly, but I can cast a light on such behaviour.

My son is generally said to be quite a nice little boy, but when I think what nonsense he picks up in the school playground I am dismayed. He watches very little television, yet his imagination seems to require "background music" for any imagined happening, of the "ner ner whee bang!" variety. It is sometimes necessary to remind him that yelling in public is unacceptable, and that he should say "What may I do to help?", not "I'll steer!" etc.

The peer group pressures on children now are very different to what they were and I certainly think that selfishness is no longer condemned as it once was.

<hr width=100% size=1>