Sheet to tiller self steering

dogboat

www.dogboat.co.uk
Has anyone had any experience on the system working on a heavy boat with a heavy rudder? Looking to take the boat on some short handed trips this autumn/winter and need to come up with something while working forward or making tea. Looks fairly basic to set up but unsure the pressure needed to adjust the tiller would be too great for the idea to work. I suppose it's worth a try?

jamie N

Visit site
I've tried it with mixed success on my Folkboat. It's relatively simple to get it to work going upwind, but became decreasingly effective the more one went off wind. Last year I made a trim tab self steering device, which worked well enough, but was SO dependent on having a neutral tiller, which I wasn't able to fully achieve, due to various reasons. You'll have seen the online video's of it, and it's virtually free to do, so good luck. What's the boat that you have?

dogboat

www.dogboat.co.uk
Hello Jamie, the boat is a Cornish Lugger with a standing lug as the main. She is fairly well balanced when the sails are set so I imagine it's possible it could work. The main problem is the rig in its self is hard work when short handed and some sort of help would make my life easier when working forward

Wansworth

Visit site
Have you tried a pin rail that centers the tiller where you want it,should do for making tea or minor rig adjustments up forward,else hove to unless you have somewhere urgent to be!

dogboat

www.dogboat.co.uk
Yes I have considered a pin rail as a friend has one on his 30's boat which I liked the look of. It would have to be quite a large bit of kit for the boat and I can achieve similar with a block and tackle set up from the bulwarks which I have used in the past. Only really works for short periods if left unattended I have found. I definitely won't be in a rush to get anywhere so you have a good point

lw395

Visit site
Hello Jamie, the boat is a Cornish Lugger with a standing lug as the main. She is fairly well balanced when the sails are set so I imagine it's possible it could work. The main problem is the rig in its self is hard work when short handed and some sort of help would make my life easier when working forward

Sheet to tiller isn't going to work when you're forwards putting up sails or taking them down.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Rather than using a sheet, take a line from the boom end, or a bit inboard, through a block on the rail to the tiller. T'other side of the helm has doubled-up shock cord to the opposite rail. You'll have to juggle about with it, but once set-up it works quite well with the wind on the beam through to close-hauled.

dogboat

www.dogboat.co.uk
Thank you for your replies. Due to the mechanics of the rig pretty much every action regarding setting/adjusting the sails requires leaving the tiller, there is no cockpit where the lines go back to and due to the traditional style everything needs a fair bit of effort and time. I will try and upload a photo so you can see the helm. Major_clanger there is no boom on the boat as the standing lug main is loose footed, would a line from the clew suffice? The only problem I can see with using the main is there is two sheets with tackle that pull in the direction of both corners of the stern from deck level up to the clew, one to set the sail and the other basically works as a traveler.

Topcat47

Visit site
I'm still struggling to understand how it works (DUH!) Is it only effective when using the mizzen of a ketch? Does the boom have to overhang the transome?

Wansworth

Visit site
There is a book about methods of self steering one way might be to rig a jigger or light bowsprit beyond the existing one and set a small jib that will connect with the tiller and apply force which you counteract with shock cord etc to balance.

ianabc

Visit site
off topic

But

Pelagic self steering has gyro

plus compass and is less than $1000 US

Waterproof too

unlike those that shall not be named European tiller pilots

Last edited: