share my boat ?

rup

Visit site
Sail a brand new, fully equipped Jeanneau Sun Odd 35 (2 cab) from Solent area (probably Poole). No capital required, however, monthly commitment is. I am looking for only 2-3 sharers, who would have exclusive use for 1 week in 3 or 4 all year for share of running cost only. I will do the capex, if you run it ! Much cheaper than charter and you can leave your personal stuff on this boat ! Very flexible scheme - holidays possible - relaxed - no racing - coastal skippers (would consider other qualification) with any interest - rapid response, as will order boat at show and have to show wife I can share running costs. Boat on the water now, so e-mail or call

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hello and welcome

I can only advise you not to do it . You have to put up all the capital and risk. the others only pay with 2/3 sharing a 1/4 of the running costs each. please think again
imho , all the best cheers bob t

boss1

BrendanS

Visit site
Suspect that the deal is he pays capital, other sharers pay all running costs
Maybe sell boat in a few years time and do again. Can see possibilities here, but would want sharers well vetted. Could make for some reasonably cheap boating in a nice new boat, if the others pay their way as agreed

rup

Visit site
quite correct - I have funding / px deal in place and assumed that this would be a great way for people to sail a decent, clean boat. There is no catch - I thought for c.£2-300 per month, it looked like excellent value. I have a preference for people to come into the deal with a longer term view and assumed that on this basis, sharers would treat her as their own.

Thanks for all replies

Rup

bluevelvet

Visit site
Brillant idea if you are serious,more often than not our boats are lying unused and I believe that if more people are to be drawn into sailing this sort of sharing arrangment will expand.I have westerly discus which costs about 4K a year,and if I look at this cost with my head and not my heart it is hard to justify.My only concern would be that other parties are not looking after your boat as they have no financial interest in the vessel

jimi

Visit site
I would share that concern. Think it will only work if there is a joint stake in the boat .. unequal partnerships do'nt tend to work IMHO

BrendanS

Visit site
If the owner is not paying for running and maintenance costs and insists that the boat is kept in tip top condition. Any damage is repaired professionally, in order to maintain resale value (quite rightly, and very reasonable), and the sharers are paying for all this, there would be a considerable incentive for them to look after the boat.

Think there is considerable mileage here, but the sharers would have to be vetted, and the contract carefully thought out, with the sharers buying into the whole idea in the spirit in which it is meant. There are some who would try to take advantage.

MedMan

teall.name
I bought/shared my first boat on this basis. It was my boat and I paid for all maintenance etc. I found a 'partner' through YM who paid the equivalent of my marina fees + insurance in return for 2 weeks in summer, 1 week at easter and every other weekend. He agreed to pay for damage caused by his negligence/carelessness but that never happened.

Choose your 'partners' carefully and it could work well. Best thing is it is your boat so you can modify her to suit your own whims and fancies without having to call a committee meeting.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/>http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/</A>