shaft seal (Volvo?)

oldvarnish

Visit site
View attachment 10572

This is a newish boat to me and I have only recently got as far as considering the shaft seal. It hangs off the back of a 40HP Volvo. Is it Volvo seal?

Is it the sort that needs 'burping' and if so how do you do it?

If any of the rubber bits fail are you suddenly on a downward track to the seabed or is it less dramatic than that?

What oil do you use?

(I do have a manual but it's a long way away)

djc

Visit site
Its a Halyard HMI shaft seal , no need to burp it just change the oil in it once a year if poss , when ashore . Check for oil leakage and the condition of rubber bellows , had one fitted to my yacht for 14 years good bit of kit , they are no longer made and these seals are getting old now for that reason alone replaced mine with a PSS seal which also seems to work well.

oldvarnish

Visit site
Its a Halyard HMI shaft seal , no need to burp it just change the oil in it once a year if poss , when ashore . Check for oil leakage and the condition of rubber bellows , had one fitted to my yacht for 14 years good bit of kit

That's the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

Does anyone know what happens if one of the rubber bits split? Is it a deluge or a trickle?

thanks

capsco

Visit site
I am very pleased for you and hope that you sleep soundly, do you agree that the pic makes it seem out of alignment, or do I need to go back to sleep?

oldvarnish

Visit site
I am very pleased for you and hope that you sleep soundly, do you agree that the pic makes it seem out of alignment, or do I need to go back to sleep?

Having looked again, you're quite right. It looks like a photo from a 'how not to do it' lecture.