severe wintry weather

lyc

Visit site
Latest indications are that prolonged and severe wintry weather will become established during the middle of January.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

This is the second long-range weather forecast with severe weather forecast for January,

Should I believe in the weather forecast and take the boat out sooner than planned?

chippie

Visit site
Do you have any knowledge of the reliability of past long range forecasts?
I read a book on chaos theory that says long range forecasts are really only a best guess because the forecasters cant see the actual weather systems that will produce the weather, and weather itself is not a closed system .If it were a closed system it would constantly repeat itself which it obviously doesnt do.
On the other hand, some of the 'best guessers' are pretty good , so I am not much help at all,sorry.

G

Surely this depends on where your boat is and how sheltered is your mooring/berth.
Even in western Norway many yachtsmen leave their boats in the water all winter. Unless you are in an exposed location or in a harbour prone to icing, I would suggest you enjoy some winter sailing.

Sammy

Visit site
Its always bad in January. Depends on how sheltered your mooring is I tend to stay in all winter over the last few years and take a chance. I'm on a swinging bouy Portsmouth and seams to get less damage than some of the Marinas. Sailings good during most of the winter except January/ February.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
If there is a period of very severe and penetrating cold - what happens to a boat were the laminate has a high water content or even a reasonable level. If it freezes within the laminate, this surely could cause major delamination.

On this basis, it could be better to leave a boat in the water.